Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Rambo

Old 06-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Rambo

ORIGINAL: statjunk

I'm going to have to check the video out after work. Blocked.

Tom

You WILL be impressed if you have never seen what a .50 cal can do.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:49 AM

First of all, a .50 BMG will not blow a man's head totally off of his body. It WILL empty the contents of your skull very efficiently but will not vaporize all of the soft tissue. So basically, you will have a big, floppy mess of what used to be a face and scalp. The only thing that I know of that will vaporize a human head is No. 6-8 12Ga birdshot at close range. Very messy.

Second, no hand held weapon will blow another man off their feet and 10 feet backwards. It's as simple as Newton's Law. For a weapon to do that to a target, it would have to knock the shooter off of their feet also or push them backwards if they were prone. You would need a mounted gun like a howitzer to generate that much force. To continue that argument, the human body is mainly made of soft tissue so the force required to knock you back that far would have to be spread over a large area. A small projectile will just punch a big hole through a man.

Third, that movie was ridiculous. I think I fell asleep when they were going into the camp to rescue the people. For mercenaries, those guys were a bunch of pansies. Rambo rocks but that movie was too far over the top.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

G2 shooter you should really look at the video link that was posted cause it pretty much blows away your theory,I mean when you see what's left of Haji flying,that's right I said flying off the mountainside you will understand.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:34 PM

I watched that video 3 times before I first posted and I couldn't tell what the heck they are shooting. Could be a man, could be an animal or could be a setup target. I'm not saying it isn't a person, just saying that I can't verify what it is. That last one looks more like a ground hog or some small animal more than a person.

So just to support my theory, let's have everyone chime in here. How many deer have you shot that got blown back 10 feet? Slugs and M/L projectiles are usually in the 325-550 grain range. Granted they are moving slower but most shots are also less than 100 yards. I have never seen a deer get knocked back even 2 feet from any hunting video I have watched. Drop in their tracks, yes. Get knocked over, yes. But picked up and blown back 10 feet? Come on now.

The movies use a rig called a "jerk cable" to get that effect. I'm not saying that the effect isn't entertaining, just far fetched. I hate to say it but Myth Busters also debunked this theory. They used their dummy with a bullet proof vest and shot it with several different handguns, rifles and a shotgun. The only weapon to move the dummy a little bit was the shotgun with slugs. Even a fully automatic weapon did not budge the dummy. So yeah, I will need more than a blurry video of something getting shot to believe Rambo.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:20 PM

Did you know that the myth busters also supposedly disproved the robin hooded arrow? I don't put much faith into the myth busters.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Spike

Just to add to what G2 is saying. I totally agree that the movies are just that movies. 1 grain is 1/7000th of a pound so a 650-750 grain bullet will make a huge mess of a person's head at any range, but being blown in the air for many feet.That is just for the movies. Also if it did blow people in the air when hit I really don't think that the biggest and most affective muzzle brake would be able to tame a rifle that would also be moving the shoot the equal amount in the air or along the ground.

Andrew
Old 06-24-2008, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have never seen a deer get knocked back even 2 feet from any hunting video I have watched. Drop in their tracks, yes. Get knocked over, yes. But picked up and blown back 10 feet? Come on now.
You never shot a deer or an Elk with a .50 cal 460 grain White Super Slug then have you?
Old 06-24-2008, 08:06 AM

Well no, because I don't own a White. :-P But a friend of mine does and says those bullets are hard as heck to find. Although he hasn't shot anything that flipped over either but I think that is because he is a terrible hunter. LOL

But I do respect you and your posts OEH.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well no, because I don't own a White. :-P But a friend of mine does and says those bullets are hard as heck to find. Although he hasn't shot anything that flipped over either but I think that is because he is a terrible hunter. LOL

But I do respect you and your posts OEH.

The mule deer was spined at about 100 yards give ten yards or twoand it folded like one of the slow motion videos and wasknocked over and all four feet in the air when i got to him .The Elk was shoulder shot and knocked clean off his feet and sat still for a few seconds and got back up and then fell down again. It's never happened before or since. Yes that white was a piece of work and that bullet is super..
Old 06-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

It is ironic that people glorify these Rambo movies, and don't realize that Sly Stallone has in the past been a vocal supporter of gun control. Hypocritical that he makes his living glorifying blood and guts as this persona, yet he didn't volunteer for the military during the Vietnam war.

I won't be renting this movie, and this hypocrite won't get a dime of my money.

If Rambo impresses you so much, go back and read about Dick Meadows, the guy who Rambo was probably based on. This guy is the real deal.

Quick Reply: New Rambo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.