Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Old Drilling for sale >

Old Drilling for sale

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Old Drilling for sale

Old 02-28-2003, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Old Drilling for sale

My father in law has an old drilling 16 gauge double barrel with a 8.9mm rifle. We had it at the gun show in Hampton Virginis last weekend to get an idea of whatr it is worth. It has been in his closet for 40+ years and is in great shape. We were told by 5 different people about the same price.

Does anyone know a site or a place to call to try and sell a gun like this. Everyone said that these guns are sought after by collectors but I am trying to locate one.

If anyone here is interested you can email me or reply back on this post. I hope it is not against the rules.

[email protected]
Old 02-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Old Drilling for sale

I don' t know what kind of price you were given, but whether a drilling is particularly valuable or not depends on three things: condition; manufacturer; gauge & caliber. The 16 gauge is not particularly scarce, most Germans had them. The 8,9mm is probably what we would call a 9mm in this country. It PROBABLY needs .354" diameter bullets, but if its' chamber throat is large enough, you might be able to use .358" diameter bullets in it. What case does the rifle need? It should be stamped on the underside of the barrels somewhere (it should say 8,9X57mm, or some such thing. There is an outfit in Terrell, TX called Chadick' s that buys such things, as well as Thad Scott in Miss., and Cape Outfitters in Mo. There are also a couple of high-value gun dealers in the Northeast, but I haven' t got their names and loacations right now. However, if you do a search on-line for double rifles, drillings, combination guns, etc., you should find quite a few dealers. Is there a maker' s name on it?? Can you find the rifle full caliber designation? Does it have the shotgun barrels' chamber length (in mm) stamped on it somewhere?