Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included) >

I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included)

Old 06-10-2008, 01:55 AM

Default RE: I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included)

Hey msmforever69
I posted a very similar subject a couple of months ago;
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2759137&mpage=1&key=quality,cont rol
Funny thing was i didnt get many replys and ppl didnt have much to say except for oldelkhunter(thanks by the way!). Anyway my 700 is chambered in a 223 and my bolt was extremely hard to lock in the cocked position and when my brass came out it was scratched deeply!! The dealer said there was a bur in the chamber and thats y the bolt was tight and brass was getting scratched. Long story short i sent it to the remington importer (through the dealer) in Australia (raytrade, melbourne) cause it was under warranty and was told Id get it back in 4 weeks.
After 4 weeks passed I called raytrade for a follow up and they told me they dont deal with customers only dealers (unlike berretta who where only happy to speak to me)! 6 weeks went by and I finally got it back. Once I tried it out i knew that it came back the same condition as before, still same problems. What tops it off was that all it came back with was a tag saying "bur in chamber, bolt tight"! Geez! Even the dealer said they dont really give much info back.
I was pissed majorly so I gave it to a very good gunsmith (a friend of my mate) who told me Raytrade would have just kept it for 6 weeks and sent it back without touching it or only doing minimal work. They wont spend the money to fix it! He told me (as well as other ppl) that it hasnt been polished properly and it needs reaming. After he polished it and reamed the chamber it works very well! Im 100% thats ur problem too!

Old 06-10-2008, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Briman

btw, the advertisements on you picture hosting site aren't workplace friendly
Your telling me. I'll probably be getting a call from corporate office!!
Old 06-10-2008, 06:37 PM

Hey sciencenerd,

Yea I really hope they contact me soon, and they actually put the money in to fix it or send me a new one. I have emailed them and it said i would get a reply in 5 days max, it's been 4 days already, and no reply. I don't know any gunsmiths in the are who know a lot about rifles, all the stores here are mostly handgun focused. The nearest rifle gun smith is like 2 hours away.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

scratched cases? c'mon man, all repeaters scratch the cases a bit, cause the case is held against the feed rails by spring pressure.
RR
agreed
Old 06-10-2008, 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: Roadkillwarrior

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

scratched cases? c'mon man, all repeaters scratch the cases a bit, cause the case is held against the feed rails by spring pressure.
RR
agreed
I maybe wrongbut these kinds of scratches and especially the kind my gun was making were definately not right! Chamber needed serious polishing and the bur(s) were causing the locking to be difficult. My Tikka definately doesnt scratch my cases at all (feed rail or not) and I think you'd be hard pressed to finda tikka/sakothat does!
Old 06-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: msmforever69

Hey sciencenerd,

Yea I really hope they contact me soon, and they actually put the money in to fix it or send me a new one. I have emailed them and it said i would get a reply in 5 days max, it's been 4 days already, and no reply. I don't know any gunsmiths in the are who know a lot about rifles, all the stores here are mostly handgun focused. The nearest rifle gun smith is like 2 hours away.
Have you shot it yet?
Old 06-11-2008, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

maybe wrongbut these kinds of scratches and especially the kind my gun was making were definately not right! Chamber needed serious polishing and the bur(s) were causing the locking to be difficult. My Tikka definately doesnt scratch my cases at all (feed rail or not) and I think you'd be hard pressed to finda tikka/sakothat does!
Plastic magazine has the feed lips. It wouldpretty hard for plastic to scratch a brass case.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:49 PM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

maybe wrongbut these kinds of scratches and especially the kind my gun was making were definately not right! Chamber needed serious polishing and the bur(s) were causing the locking to be difficult. My Tikka definately doesnt scratch my cases at all (feed rail or not) and I think you'd be hard pressed to finda tikka/sakothat does!
Plastic magazine has the feed lips. It wouldpretty hard for plastic to scratch a brass case.
Sorrywasnt clearthats why i said "feed rails or not" cause the scatches I got on my cases (and probably this guys cases) where too deep to be made by feed rails or anything normal& by "not" I also meant you wouldnt find burs in my tikka chamber that would give those kinds of scratches.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:13 PM

Jeepkid, haven't shot it yet. Wanted to make sure everything is ok before I invest in bases and a scope. So i took it to the gunsmith at the dealer where I got it from, that dealership I feel like is ripping me off all the time. I showed the brass to the gunsmith, he said he will take it home and look at it and figure out what's wrong. Oh and that will be 100 dollars. Also i wanted a badger tactical knob, they would charge a 100 for it.

Next I sold them my savage Mark II FV, and they gave me 70 dollars for it...it has a bipod, and a 60 dollar scope and the gun itself was 250. So i spent like 350, and 3 months later, got 70 for it... basically using that 70 just for them to check the gun out.

So to get a stock 700 P and to have it fixed, I spent 950 for gun, then 40 for a box of 20 rounds, then 100 for them to "fix" a brand new gun which completely isn't my fault, and another 100 to put a bolt on, and I had to give my savage 22 away.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: msmforever69

Jeepkid, haven't shot it yet. Wanted to make sure everything is ok before I invest in bases and a scope. So i took it to the gunsmith at the dealer where I got it from, that dealership I feel like is ripping me off all the time. I showed the brass to the gunsmith, he said he will take it home and look at it and figure out what's wrong. Oh and that will be 100 dollars. Also i wanted a badger tactical knob, they would charge a 100 for it.

Next I sold them my savage Mark II FV, and they gave me 70 dollars for it...it has a bipod, and a 60 dollar scope and the gun itself was 250. So i spent like 350, and 3 months later, got 70 for it... basically using that 70 just for them to check the gun out.

So to get a stock 700 P and to have it fixed, I spent 950 for gun, then 40 for a box of 20 rounds, then 100 for them to "fix" a brand new gun which completely isn't my fault, and another 100 to put a bolt on, and I had to give my savage 22 away.
Thats actually about right for the bolt knob. But I would think they would check the case thing free.

I honestly wouldn't worry about the cases, the little bur will most likely wear off after time. I've saw guns do worse to cases and they still shoot awesome...

Quick Reply: I'm pissed, brand new remington 700, and it sucks! (pics included)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.