Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which AR?

Old 05-30-2008, 08:24 PM

Default Which AR?

I'm looking at getting an AR for combo home defense and maybe some hunting. Which one do you recommend?
Old 05-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which AR?

First, you'll need to confirm whether the 5.56mm (.223) is a legal big game round in your state.

Second, there are quite a number of AR variations. Typically, a shorter barrel is "handier" in a home defense scenario, but the caliber itself may not be the best choice if you live in close proximity to others (i.e. apartment, housing development, etc.)

Sighting systems might also be an issue, as the laser or electronic sight you may choose for a defensive weapon may not be legal for hunting.

Have fun shopping - there are plenty of rifles and styles (as well as accessories) to choose from.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

You can really get any of the AR's as most are just assemblies of parts made by someone else.

For home defense i would look at one of the short barrelled configurations with a flat top for mounting an Eotech or similar sight but also comes with fixed sights.
For hunting you can simply purchase an upper in something like a 6.8SPC, 450 Bushmaster, 50 Beauwolf (sp), 458 SOCOM, etc...

Or you could go the AR10 rout which is based on the 308 Winchester therefore it is a larger and heavier rifle but will excel in the hunting arena. There are still very good home defense models to choose from with fixed sights and short 16" barrelsand there are a number of frangable 308 rounds that can be used in home defense. Purchase an upper assembly with a longer and heavier barrel in everything from .243 to .300RSAUM and .338 Federal and hunt everything from deer to moose.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:26 PM

Can't go wrong with the S&W LE. Got the best pieces ever in it. Coming from a current soldier, I would recommend it to anyone its the closest thing to my issued m4 I could find. Barrel length don't really matter for home defense. People here the charging handle get pulled and get scared.

My true advice is get a flat top with popup flick iron sights. I never use my iron sights I got a red dot and love mine. Its for quick draws and shoot on the fly, great for cqc. One the battery dies in it you can flip the sights up look right down the aimpoint and still keep shooting. If you want the scope for hunting I would look into getting a Acog. They are very expensive around 1400$ but they are GI proof and don't have to worry about it breaking etc... Same with the m68 aimpoint if you have any questions let me know I'll help any way I can.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:38 AM

I'm pretty fond of my Colt H-Bar, and the second one too......
Old 05-31-2008, 08:01 AM
bigcountry

I have a A3 bushy shorty. Not sure your going to get a good combo.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:54 AM

I figure AR's and the likegot a rightfulplace/reason/function....and I Hunt with bolt guns.

You agree?
Old 05-31-2008, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

I'm pretty fond of my Colt H-Bar, and the second one too......
+1 for Colt's!!!I have 2 and have not been disappointed yet.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:40 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Rifle Loony

I figure AR's and the likegot a rightfulplace/reason/function....and I Hunt with bolt guns.

You agree?
If someone finds it useful to pack around a 22" or even 20" RR varmit rifle with a full stockfor home protection, I guess it would work. I myself don't see it useful, at least in my home, maybe if I lived in a wide open barn. Thats the reason I like a collapse stock with 16" barrel. So yes,I do agree.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't suggest a rifle for a home defense gun.Because if you miss and sometime you will get a pass through,what happens if that bullet goes through a wall and hit someone in the other room(wife or kids)?It could even go into the next house.But if you live in the middle of nowhere and by yourself,i'd say go for it,but why not a shotgun loaded with a double aught buck?Stops anyone at close range alot quicker than a rifle will anyday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.