Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which AR?

Old 05-31-2008, 06:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Which AR?

I wouldn't suggest a rifle for a home defense gun.Because if you miss and sometime you will get a pass through,what happens if that bullet goes through a wall and hit someone in the other room(wife or kids)?
There are many choices of ammo available that is specifically designed to not penetrate walls. They act much like varmint bullets and decentigrate on impact with hard surfaces like walls and suchbut will give adequate penetration and explosive effects in human flesh.

Double "0" buck shot will penetrate walls and kill who ever happens to be standing onthe other side.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Double "0" buck shot will penetrate walls and kill who ever happens to be standing onthe other side.
and a normal rifle round will go through several houses . there are many lethal and non lethal home defense rounds available for many different firearms today. at this point its all about whats comfortable for the user.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Does any one read the entire post any more? Like the very first sentence in that post you quoted?

Unless something new has come out I have never seen any frangable "00" buck shot.I would imagine that the buckshot would fragment before it ever left the barrel.

I would never use a "regular" rifle round for home defense nor didI suggest such a thing. I simply stated ther there isa good number of frangable ammunition available that isspecifically designed for home defense that would not penetrate walls and that "00" buck shot would definetly penetrate walls and kill people on the other side.

I don't know whereI ever mentioned using a "regular" rifle bullet and why people feel the need to put words in mymouth.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:21 AM

I second that from Big Bulls. I'm the farthest thing from a ballisitics expert, but I have seen a lot of reports that back up what BB says. Some day I want to have a pimped up AR as my main property defender. The other benefits of the AR is the higher capacity and less recoil when trying to stop the BG who was dumb enough to invade your property. Best luck and God bless.
Old 06-01-2008, 01:24 PM
bigcountry

Well, besides all the bullcrap of going thru walls and all this, I don't see the AR as just an inside the house defense. More of a WTSHTF type of defense if you know what I mean. Like the folks down in Orleans after katrina. I bet those who stayed and protected thier propertyunderstands.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

The wife and I just got back from shooting 200 rds. through my S&W AR15. I bought it in Feb. and with today's outing it has 1200 rds. through it with ZERO problems. I would recommend this rifle to anyone looking for a quality AR. I second the red dot/eotech for a sight. I will be ordering a Vortex red dot shortly. After shooting my friends rifle with an Aimpoint I was sold on the idea. Plenty accurate for coyotes to 300 yds. and quick enough for home defense.If you stick with the popular makers, S&W, Bushmaster, Colt, Stag, etc. you should be just fine.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:13 PM

I have a Mossberg 500 12 ga and Taurus Tracker .357mag 4" that are both great for "in home" protection. I choose not to load buckshot for in home protection. I'm thinking more like property protection I guess. For example: if the s*&t hits the fan I have something with a little range if necessary