Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hunting pistol >

Hunting pistol

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hunting pistol

Old 05-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default Hunting pistol

Would you get a 44 Mag or one of the newer cal's, 460, 480, or maybe 500. It will be a revolver.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:31 AM

Default RE: Hunting pistol

It really depends on what you want to do with it...

I bought the .480 Ruger in a Super Red Hawk 7 1/2" gray stainless
If kept at honorable ranges, it will kill farther than most folks can shoot.

If I had to look at any other, I guess it would be the .460. The specs on that round are simply unreal.

But I am not sure about the recoil. As far as the .480 goes, it is not bad. I could do a session of 20 shots and never blink. In fact I really like shooting it. My wife, 5'1 and 125 lbs. can shoot it. It kicks for her, but she seems to like it.... She would shoot me out of 100.00 in ammo in an hour if I would let her.

God bless

MET
Old 05-26-2008, 10:43 AM

Depends upon what you want to hunt with it and how much cost of ammo is a concern.

I have a 44 mag taurus (raging bull) which I use for deer hunting and have carried with me elk hunting (close shot only). The ammo is significantly cheaper than the others which is one reason I went with a 44. It has two deer under its belt and has worked well for me. It was a little rough when I got it but with a little wear is very smooth now. I use 240 gr for deer. Buying some hornady xtp's 300 gr for elk this nov in case I get lucky enough to have a close shot.

Eventually, I plan on buying another revolver not sure which caliber. Planning on a freedom arms or ruger redhawk.

I highly recommend buying a non-ported revolver. My ported raging bull is very nasty on the ears and I will never buy another ported firearm period. I have slight hearing loss already so am pretty conscious of this now.

Have fun.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stick with a .44 mag or even a .41 mag or 45 Colt. The other will amke something no more dead. I see them as more of an ego boost than anything else. well, that or simply as a compensation for poor shot palcemnt and hoping the extar oomph will take care of the inadequate ability of the shooter.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Maine Shooter

Stick with a .44 mag or even a .41 mag or 45 Colt. The other will amke something no more dead. I see them as more of an ego boost than anything else. well, that or simply as a compensation for poor shot palcemnt and hoping the extar oomph will take care of the inadequate ability of the shooter.
Glad everyone has an opinion ..... that way at least someone has a chance to agree with you.

I bought mine for none of your reasons. I bought mine because it had better ballistics, it is very strong, and because I got a heck of a deal on it. It is worth more now than I paid for it...

SO maybe you should not let your own conscience be the judge of others. If those are your issues, they don't necessarily represent the issues of others..... but thanks for your concern...

And BTW, my gun is not ported.... I would not own a ported handgun. I own a rifle, and it nearly made me deaf in a matter of shots.

MET

Old 05-26-2008, 02:10 PM

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

I bought the .480 Ruger in a Super Red Hawk 7 1/2" gray stainless
If kept at honorable ranges, it will kill farther than most folks can shoot.
That is a beautiful pistol. I entertained the idea of getting a redhawk, but went with the blackhawk instead in .41 mag. Only thing I don't like is it isn't available in stainless. I don't know if Ruger ever made one in stainless, but if I find one, it's going home with me and this one's going on gunbroker.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a S&W 44 mag that I love. I tried the .460, but I didn't like the recoil. However, it was the most accurate revolver I've ever shot. I wish I would have held on to it a little longer to see if I could have gotten use to the recoil. I could have shot 454 casulls from it but I didn't. If you are not recoil shy I would definatlely recommend the S&W 460, it's a great gun and more accurate and versitile than any other revolver on the market!!!

Edit- I wouldn't recommend the S&W 500 just because of the ammo availability. The .460 is faster and much more accurate from everything I've heard and read. I have only shot the .460 though and can only truly speak of it from experience.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:38 PM

Yup, Big Tiny, it is a beast, and I love it. I mounted a New Nikon 2.5 - 8 x 28 on it and checked it out. I then mounteda New Burris 3-12 x 32 Ball. Plex on it and decided to keep the Burris. I like the fact that I can go to 12 x to look if I want. So I guess I'll have the Nikon as a backup scope.

One other thing I did that really helped, and I would highly recommend. Get rid of the stock grips on whatever you get and replace them with a set of Hogue or Pachmeyer grips. I have the Hogue with the finger molds. It is a dense rubber, and it is a lot better than stock.

BTW .... this applies, unless your handgun comes with a good set of grips like those mentioned.

Good luck and God Bless
Old 05-26-2008, 03:19 PM
bigcountry

I shoot a 44mag and 460. Both recoil the same percieved anyway. But the 460 wieghs as much as a light rifle. After hunting with the 460 this year, I am not sure I like it. Sure puts a thumping on a deer, very accurate, but hard to control a shot with a 10.5" barrel if not using a gunrest. I will be hunting with my 44 this year.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

The .44 is tried and true! Yes, the others are good and they will probably be around a long time. At handgun ranges, the .44 will do anything that the others will do, with less kick and less $$$!

Quick Reply: Hunting pistol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.