Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Safe door

Old 05-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Safe door

I am starting to build a gun room and I am looking at safe doors anybody have any input on doors ? ..Thanks
Old 05-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Safe door

I have seen safe doors advertised. I thunk they were to be used when building a concrete/block vault. Not sure who offered them. Rebel Hog may have some answers........ (Thunk????)
Old 05-17-2008, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd PM Rebel Hog. He's the resident safe genius.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

Try a google search for Amsec and Adesco safes. One of these two has what you are looking for.

Good Hunting,
Bowflex
Old 05-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fort Knox gun safes. Nuff said.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have a Tread-Lock door on ours. However it is close to 20 years old, so I doubt it is still made, and is probably not state of the art.

If I had it to do over again I would not build another vault. I would buy a larger fire proof gun safe. I bought a large fireproof business safe(5-feet X8-feet). I prefer this safe.

With a concrete safe you need to be very careful with moisture. A simple Golden Rod will not do the trick.

We built ours in my best friend's parents house. Then they both died. That happened last year. Regardless of what you consider your long term plans to be. They will probably change. I wish we had spent the money on a top grade fire safe instead of the vault. Safes will last a lifetime if you buy a good one. Vaults will not. Tom.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

We have a Tread-Lock door on ours. However it is close to 20 years old, so I doubt it is still made, and is probably not state of the art.

If I had it to do over again I would not build another vault. I would buy a larger fire proof gun safe. I bought a large fireproof business safe(5-feet X8-feet). I prefer this safe.

With a concrete safe you need to be very careful with moisture. A simple Golden Rod will not do the trick.

We built ours in my best friend's parents house. Then they both died. That happened last year. Regardless of what you consider your long term plans to be. They will probably change. I wish we had spent the money on a top grade fire safe instead of the vault. Safes will last a lifetime if you buy a good one. Vaults will not. Tom.
Excellent point. You can always move safes if you change locations. That's a little rough to do with a vault, and it may actually be a deterrent for someone looking to buy a house if the vault would have to be demolished to suit their needs.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Fork Horn

My plans are to make a room about 15x18 out of block then finish the inside with knotty pine, it will have a dehumidifier in it that will drain down a exsisting waste pipe. As far as safes go I have 2 40 gun safes now and what a pain getting to the ones in the rear and I find no matter how careful you are getting them out they always get dinged. The room will also have my reloading bench and a closet to store all my ammo..
I have been looking at some doors on the net, Sportsman steel and browning..
Old 05-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 338

My plans are to make a room about 15x18 out of block then finish the inside with knotty pine, it will have a dehumidifier in it that will drain down a exsisting waste pipe. As far as safes go I have 2 40 gun safes now and what a pain getting to the ones in the rear and I find no matter how careful you are getting them out they always get dinged. The room will also have my reloading bench and a closet to store all my ammo..
I have been looking at some doors on the net, Sportsman steel and browning..
Fort Knox sells complete concrete vault rooms whatever size you want. Might be worth looking into so you don't have to build your own...
Old 05-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

bowflex and jeepkid thanks I looked up what you said and the ones they have are 2 narrow.. I am in a wheel chair and my chair as of now is 26" so a 30" door has a clear opening of about 26-28" so I need a 36" door to be safe in the future .. Thanks

Quick Reply: Safe door

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.