Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 TAYRUS 454????? >

TAYRUS 454?????

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

TAYRUS 454?????

Old 05-12-2008, 09:45 PM

Default TAYRUS 454?????

THINKING ABOUT GETTING A TAURUS 454 6 1/2''. ANYBODY HAVE ONE? KNOW ANYTHING? HAD ANY ISSUES WITH IT? IMPUT WOULD BE GREAT.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TAYRUS 454?????

I had a Taurus Raging Bull in .44 Mag. It was an ok revolver but if I had to do it over again I would spend a little extra and get a Ruger Redhawk/Super Redhawk or the Super Blackhawk. The accuracy was decent but the gun needed trigger work to achieve its full potential. You will probably find that to be the case with most factory firearms anyway. Mine had some minor finish flaws but nothingmajor. My biggest complaint was not being able to find accesories and parts as easy. That may have changed by now but that was the case 4 or 5 years ago.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had the .44 version and traded up to the .454 version and couldn't be happier. The factory porting helps dramatically so I didn't have to port it myself.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry I would have to go with the "American Made" Ruger Super Redhawk over a Taurus Raging Bull. I haveSRH in 454 Casullwith a 9.5" bbl and it shoots well.Honestly I haven't taken the time to really fine tune it.The Ruger integral scope rings are second to none.I've had one dealing with a Taurus revolver and there won't be a second one.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

Used to be a BIG Taurus fan.. But after buying 2 of them (a revolver and an auto) within 6 months of each other and having to send both of them back before a box of shells were shot thru them.. I would steer clear of them..
Old 05-14-2008, 02:51 AM

If I was in the market for a 454 I think I'd have to go with the S&W 460XVR. It's going to cost a good bit more, but I think worth the extra money. It is capable of firing 45LC, 454 Cassull, and 460. The 460 is a 200 yard capable round and extremely potent on just about anything up to elk and maybe bigger depending on range.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ECCVS

THINKING ABOUT GETTING A TAURUS 454 6 1/2''. ANYBODY HAVE ONE? KNOW ANYTHING? HAD ANY ISSUES WITH IT? IMPUT WOULD BE GREAT.
There are alot of people who badmouth the various Taurus handguns (I assume you meant Taurus!). I have only owned one Taurus, a Raging Bull in .454 Casull. This particular example is every bit as good as the early S&W Model 29 (pinned 4-screw) that I used for three years in AK.

The Bull is accurate, and fit & finish are comparable to the S&W. I especially like the muzzle porting and cushioning grip design. Recoil with full-power .454 Ammo feels no worse than a standard .44 Magnum. I have a friend with one of the same guns. If anything, his is more accurate than mine, but mine will shoot into 3" at 100 yards from a sandbag rest.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't buy one again.

Tom
Old 05-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

I was considering a 454 approx 4 years ago. A local gun shop has an indoor range and rents guns and sells ammo for the range. I decided to rent a 454 to get an idea of what I was getting into recoil wise. I told the gunshop employee I was trying to decide between the Taurus and the Ruger and wanted to shoot them.
It turned out he was the gunsmith that maintained all the pistols (over 200) and he said they 454s get a lot of use. His experience was terrible with the Taurus saying it was constantly needing repairs and he showed me where the Taurus barrel was eroding from the high temp/pressures of the 454. TheRuger however was near "bullet proof" and he said we just keep feeding it rounds. In fact he said that the Ruger had been shot alot more than the Taurus without needing any repairs.
I am sure that the Taurus is up to the task under the normal amount of shooting most owners would do.Just thought this info under extreme usage might be useful.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:00 AM

I've had several Rugers that were fit only for boat anchors.[:'(] Pistols and rifles. I'll stick with Taurus anyday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.