Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Lightweight Rifle >

Lightweight Rifle

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Lightweight Rifle

Old 05-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Spike

Default Lightweight Rifle

I am looking for a lightweight bolt action rifle in 3006 to use when backpack hunting for deer and elk in Idaho. I have been looking at the Kimber Montana, and also the Remington Ti Alaska (a bit spendy for my budget) and have also been researching the Remington 700 Mountain rifle LSS. I am looking for feedback on these rifles. I have not been able to actually put my hands on the 700 LSS Mountain so I am most interested if someone has comments on that one.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Lightweight Rifle

Of the three I would choose the Kimber. I like the mauser action and I have shot the 84 Montana in 308 and it shot MOA with factory ammo. You may also want to consider the Weatherby Mark V or Ultralight.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:03 AM

Kimbers ain't cheap either, but tough to whoop on when the chips are down. Myself being a rifle loony, I'd have to use backpack hunting in Idaho for an excuse to build myself another 6 pound all up rig...whether or not I already had one.

NULA makes some good ones too.......
Old 05-10-2008, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Yoter

I am looking for a lightweight bolt action rifle in 3006 to use when backpack hunting for deer and elk in Idaho. I have been looking at the Kimber Montana, and also the Remington Ti Alaska (a bit spendy for my budget) and have also been researching the Remington 700 Mountain rifle LSS. I am looking for feedback on these rifles. I have not been able to actually put my hands on the 700 LSS Mountain so I am most interested if someone has comments on that one.
NEW ULTRALITE ARMS........
Old 05-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd second (or third) the vote for NULA. Maybe not the prettiest but very light and very accurate.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

i hvae an older model ruger ultra light in 30-06. reall good shooter short and light weight. there seems to be a few out there on the selves too
Old 05-10-2008, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Weatherby makes a "mark V ultralightweight" and chambers it in .30-06, 5 3/4lbs I believe. Though it may run you $1400-1500, pretty sweet setup though, at least have a look at it.

24" barrel, fluted, stainless, though its black in color

http://www.weatherby.com/products/guns.asp?prd=Rifles&prd_sub_type=1&prod_co de=UTM300WR6O
Old 05-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

My Mountain Rifle isn't the laminated stock but ever since I bought it it is the first gun out of the cabinet in Deer Season. It works great for a factory gun If I do my part it shoots under an inch at a 100.It holds it's own out to 500 yards. I believe there are probably more accurate guns out there but I like the way this one works.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Again the TI is the only mountain rifle that Remington makes..the other one is a mountain rifle by name only. Soda Straw barrel and a heavy laminated stock.Not crazy about Kimbers but would buy one over a Remington any day of the week. I would get one from a dealer and see how it functions, If it looks ok then buy it. They have excellent support and will back it if you indeed have any problems. For awhile there they were hit and miss but it seems that that buzz has finally quieted down. I like NULAS, but not for 3k . A gunshop about 50 miles from my house actually orders and stocks them usually 2-4 guns a year and he has 2 of them himself a 7mm-08 and a 358 which are ULA's and loves them but he also sells a ton of Kimbers and he has stopped selling the NULA's.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:47 PM

I just picked up a weatherby ultralight in .270. Havnt shot it yet, but I liked it much better than the kimber, plus its almost a pound lighter. the kimber stock just doesnt do it for me, but i do like the hidden magazine. Sako finnlight is another good choice, mine is a 75 in 300WSM, and its not a whole lot heavier than the rem ti.

Quick Reply: Lightweight Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.