Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

[Deleted]

Old 01-20-2002, 02:31 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-21-2002, 02:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Need Help with a Slug Gun

I have never owned one but I have a friend in Ca that had one on his 870 .He seemed to like it .Im not sure if you could get bases to mount to the reciever .Plus wouldn't you have to get it drilled and tapped.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:56 AM

I would think that the cantilever should hold up just fine. The idea with the cantilever is that when the barrel is removed for cleaning, the point of impact of the scope isn't changed, as it's one with the barrel. Let's face it--if the cantilever didn't hold up, don't you think that Remington, or Winchester, or Ithaca, or Browning, or whatever gun manufacturer that uses this arrangement, would have the engineering muscle to design a better design for scoped pump and semiauto deer shotguns?

The shotguns that have the receivers drilled and tapped probably also have the barrels permanently mounted to the receiver. I know that Ithaca's Deerslayer III is this way. It also weighs 11 1/2 pounds without a scope, and costs in the $600s. The barrel is welded to the receiver for strength of the action.

Edited by - Muddyemms on 01/21/2002 06:58:20
Old 01-21-2002, 05:39 PM

I have a rem. 870 wingmaster with the cantilevered rifled barrel. I can get 2 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards. I use 2-3/4 win.BRI sabot shells. The cantilevered mount seems sturdy enough to me. For pumps or semiautos it may be the best way to go. Ive hunted with it for three seasons. Its held up well.
Old 01-22-2002, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an 870 with the B-Square mounts on it. They work great and you don't have the cantilever on the barrel. I just didn't like the way that system looked. My local pawn shop gets slug guns in this time of year by the dozens. Don't forget to look there for a bargain. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good thinking Steve.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.
Old 01-23-2002, 05:14 PM

go with the 870.