Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 How come I never.... >

How come I never....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

How come I never....

Old 02-23-2003, 11:15 AM

Default How come I never....

hear about the 17 HMR on this board? On other boards it' s all they talk about. I just got a NEF Sportster in 17 HMR. Gun shoots great, Sub MOA at 100yds. Very flat shooting too. It will be a great crow poper.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How come I never....

3030win, I' m interested in the NEF 17 Magnum and would have a couple of question for you if you could answer them.... I was woundering what power scope you would advise for 17 HMR ? Is there any recoil when shooting ? What would be the farthest distance you would take a shot ? How do you like the break action and is it solid ? Overall how does it handle ? Thanks for any information you could give me
Old 02-23-2003, 06:45 PM

i cant afford ammo thats that expensice so it isnt something im buying.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:51 PM

I would recomend a 3-16X or simular power scope. No recoil, about like a 22lr. I would feel comftable taking shots out to 250, drop would only be about 6-8" at that distance. As far as the break action, it is solid and gives the gun a great feel. And it just feels and handles great. All I have for the gun and cartridge is praise!
Old 02-23-2003, 06:54 PM

$7.50 for 50 rounds is expensive? WOW, you must be cheap...
Old 02-24-2003, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Well, if I had to guess it' s just that most of the folks on this board are deer (and larger animal) hunters with a just few varmint hunter converts. I' m curious to know, however, just what would you shoot, besides targets, with a 17 HMR at 250 yards? Ground squirrels, or Prarie Dogs maybe? I don' t know but about the smallest thing to shoot that far away around here would be a Groundhog, of course I guess you might shoot some tree rats from accross a field if you were so inclined.

Gordon
Old 02-24-2003, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

how much is the nef .17 hmr rifle ? , and how long is the barrel ? , do you think a newer marlin bolt in that caliber would be a better gun for that cartridge ? i myself prefer repeaters for that just in case fast follow up shot .
Old 02-24-2003, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whelen...The NEF is a badly under-estimated gun. It' ll out-shoot the Marlin in most situations. It' s not pretty...but gets the job done.

Some folks like the follow up...some aren' t worried about it. Truthfully, you can reload the NEF nearly as fast as the bolt if you are ready.

Old 02-24-2003, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

is that like the nef 223 handi rifle? i am thinking about gettin a 223. 17 wouldnt be bad just that witht the 223 get out there farther and about the same in cost for ammo
Old 02-24-2003, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hmm, maybe you don' t hear about them much because they are fairly new so there isn' t much data on them, or they are and answer to a question that wasn' t asked, or maybe even people are afraid to admit they are gullable to advertising gimmicks. Honestly it may be a great little cartridge, but great for what? Nothng more than a souped up pellet gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.