HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Tikka-Browning-Sako-Weatherby (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/244261-tikka-browning-sako-weatherby.html)

Dominick 04-28-2008 08:28 PM

Tikka-Browning-Sako-Weatherby

It appears that my safe has an empty spot to be filled ASAP LOL!Hey, isn't everyone looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle? My centerfire arsenal includes a Weatherby Mark V06, Browning BLR 308 and a Marlin 444. Probably will eventually sell the 308, but that will leave another empty spot for next year.

Anyway, so far the Tikka is tops on my list, same barrel as the Sakoat half the price with great accuracy. The A-bolt seems very well built and the weatherby is also nice. Which of these 4 rifles is popular on this site? As for caliber, I'm considering the 7mm mag for the Tikka since it only comes in one action length and I can't see the advantage of using a WSM. The others come in different actions so maybe a 270WSM or 300WSM. I still have yet to realize the full advantage of these WSM's but the 270 and 300 WSM's are likely to survive for many years to come, who knows?

My hunts involve mostly whitetails/hogs with a possible black bear/elk hunt in the future, so I don't want to buy a big magnum because I want to be able to use the rifle during deer season. My Weatherby and Browning have nice wood and still look new after 15 years due to the use of gun chaps but a comp/stainless model is more durable and forgiving in the field.

Opinions welcomed!

Thanks

kendradad 04-28-2008 08:58 PM

RE: Tikka-Browning-Sako-Weatherby

Whatever you get I would consider the composite/stainless that you spoke about.I am going to buy one soon, probably the Browning X Bolt in .270

salukipv1 04-28-2008 09:40 PM

I know everyone loves these tikkas, but Ive yet to see one that looked good. Id get a sako over a tikka. beauty costs a few extra bucks I suppose. Less I'm missing something, have they come out with a better looking rifle? maybe some guys like how they look, not to me.

savage3006 04-29-2008 04:36 AM

A guy showed up at the range few weeks ago with a tikka. This is definitely a nice rifle.
I would probably buy a composite stock as opposed to wood. I know wood looks and feels better but the synthetic / composite stocks are less maintenance and do not warp in the field.

ox1443 04-29-2008 11:21 AM

Get a browning or a tikka in 325 WSM or 300 WSM hey maybe a Browning X-Bolt will do u good!!!

stalkingbear 04-29-2008 09:57 PM

Another vote for browning here.

millagerobert 04-30-2008 11:18 AM

Tikka t3 lite stainless. Great gun, easy to pack and shoot.

Dominick 04-30-2008 02:40 PM

On many forums, Tikka seems toreceive 80% of the votes. I constantly read, " I had a Browning, sold it and bought a Tikka and never looked backed" or "you can buy two Tikka's for the price of one Sako and achieve the same accuracy", or "Tikka is the most accurate out of box rifle under $1k". I guess it must be true if so many owners seem to recommend it.

I never shot a Tikka but I did shoot the A-bolt. The A-bolt seems to be more solid and better built, maybe because it doesn't have as much plastic, likethe magazine and trigger guard. All composite stocks feel like a tools but they are the best to have in the field IMHO.

Thanks for the replys.

Still deciding

trailer 04-30-2008 05:45 PM

Tikka does have a smooth action and may be accurate but I’ll pay the difference for Sako. The fit is better for me and feels more like a solid rifle when handling...

Doe Dumper 04-30-2008 06:30 PM

One thing about a Tikka......it damn sure aint a Sako.