Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Charles Daly Auto >

Charles Daly Auto

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Charles Daly Auto

Old 02-22-2003, 10:19 PM

Default Charles Daly Auto

Does anyone have any experince with the Charles Daly Auto loading shotguns? They seem to be priced well but I have heard mixed things about them.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Charles Daly Auto

I buddy o fmine got one about a month ago. He called me the next day after he got it and was wanting to ring it out. He had bought a Superior II 12ga 3" mag semi-auto. So I told him to meet me at the range, I would bring a couple case of clay pidgeons and the trap trower, if he would supply the ammo. I threw in a couple boxes of 3" #4 and #2 and headed to the range.

After we patterned it with all 3 chock tubes, which seemed to run in the Imp/Cyl, Mod/full, and extra full range, we ran thru a case of 12ga 2&3/4" 3 dram 1&1/8oz #6, and all the 3" mag loades I had thrown in, as well as the 2 cases of clays. We never had a single malfuction of any kind, even when interchange the 2&3/4" and the 3" ammo. The biggest thing we found was that when we changed chock tubes, the patterns did shift point of impact somewhat. But as far as functioning went, it was flawless. Only time and lots of rounds ran thru it will tell of it' s durabilty and reliabilty. But so far, i am impressed. So impressed, that I am looking at getting one for myself, but in the Field Grade Hunter 20ga model.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:44 AM

When I bought My Charles Daly Feild Hunter, Black Auto loader, 2 years ago I also thought it was the finest gun I have ever owned. Then 2 months later the locking Block assembaly in the action broke. SO I sent it back to be repaired, after only 2 months. Well 2 months later I got it back, It was working fine and I thought well maybe it was just a bad part, well it worked ok for maybe 3-4 more months and it started miss fireing. I put it away for 6 months then sent it back to be repaired, and again it took them 2 months to send it back. It is working again but for how long? If I had known that I was gonna have all this trouble with it I wouldn' t have bought it I would have saved and bought a Rem 1100. Or something that can be dependable.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

My best buddy got one. I' m not sure what model it is but it was the camo one that you can get at walmart. We took it to the range and it lasted about 10 shots before we had problems. After being shot it wouldn' t load the second shot, just jam half way. So he stripped it down and cleaned it. And it still had the same problem. After that we just shot it like a singleshot. After about two weeks of shooting like a singleshot the firing pin failed. It would leave an impression on the primer but it wasn' t enough to make it fire. Since it has a lifetime warranty he decided to call up customer sevice. They told him there was nothing wrong with the gun, that it was the shells he was using (winchester supreme). They wouldn' t pay to have it fixed or let him exchange it for another one.

I was going to buy one, but after all my buddy went through I think I' ll spend my money on something more likily to work every time. I' ve read many more bad reviews than good ones too. You can go to

http://www.gunsreview.com/views/index.html

If you want to read a bunch of reviews on these guns.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:09 AM

Thanks guys, that is about what I have been hearing. Seems like some people have had no problems with em, and some have had alot of problems. I was wanting to get the Field Grade Hunter 20ga but don' t know if I will now...