Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Question on improving my factory rifle >

Question on improving my factory rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question on improving my factory rifle

Old 04-24-2008, 03:46 PM

Default RE: Question on improving my factory rifle

honestly im not to sure with ruger stocks but i do know that hogue makes stocks for ruger. On my M77 25-06 i have a custom stock so im not to sure. Listen to eldeguello's advice if your gonna take anyones advice you wanna take his.
good luck
Old 04-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: adirondack46r

Just for the sake of discussion, I am going to keep the Ruger. I like the looks and the feel and it's probably a better shooter than me.

Thanks.
the bestthing you can buy to improve the rifle is a box of bullets. then another box after you shoot the first one. then another box, and so on. it sounds like the set up isn't bad, so the best way to improve is to improve your shooting with lots of good practice.

as was said before, try some different types of ammo to see if the rifle likes any one kind over another. (all rifles will have a "favorite" ammo that they shoot more consistently well, and it is trial and error to find that kind for each rifle).

Another good idea to practice is to buy some snap caps. These are plastic fake cartridges that you load into the rifle and "shoot." What this does is get you used to squeezing the trigger smoothly and helps you avoid flinching as a reaction to pulling the trigger. Many people will flinch their upper body at the point of trigger pull because they are expecting to get hit with the recoil. This leads to pulling and missing shots. The snap caps allow you to dry fire (anywhere-basement, garage, etc.) with no blast to flinch for, so you get used to just squeezing the trigger and cycling the action, without bracing for the impact of the recoil. It may seem silly, but it absolutely works.

If you realy want to get deep into it, you can get the trigger adjusted to be about 3-3.5 pounds, or replace it with an aftermarket one, you can make sure the barrel is free floating so its not in contact with the stock, you can get a recoil pad to lessen the impact to your shoulder, thus decreasing the liklihood that you'll feel the need to flinch when shooting,you can get a barrel de-resonator todampen the barrel vibration,and more.

I'd spend my money on ammo and the snap caps.Mostly thereal shooting though.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

The very first thing I would do is bed it. A bedding kit from brownells cost $20 a good release agent and an evening you'll be set. Fill in all the holes with Modlers clay and spray everything you don't want bedding compound to stick to with the release agent. Brownells has that too but Pam cooking spray will work also. Definately have the trigger worked over. I wouldn't changethe stock as most Ruger Stocks look pretty nice unless it's one of those skinny black ugly things. Like the others said clean the barrel really good get all the copper and cabon out. that will likely help a lot in accuracy. I haven't bought factory ammo for 20 years. Reloading is the only way to go. If your not interested in purchasing reloading equipment make a friend that has a reloading outfit that knows what he is doing and start playing. After saying all this go to midways site and buy this book. There is a ton info in it.

"Accurizing the Factory Rifle" Book by M. L. McPherson[/align]Product #: 573735[/align]Status: Available[/align]Our price: $30.00 Sale![/align]
Old 04-25-2008, 01:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree to start with a good cleaning. Then get shooting with different loads. Personally I found the ruger MK77 to have triggers not to my liking out of the box so I would also look into either get some trigger work done by a component gunsmith or replace with an aftermarket. While bedding maybe in the future it certainly isn't something I would worry about at this stage and it may never be required.

I also agree that 1.5" groups out of the box performance with factory ammo is pretty good.A lot more common then some may have you think.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:05 AM
Typical Buck

WOW! MY...... HEAD......... HURTS!!!We have a winner with the "Buy a Remington comment"
I haveseveral Rugers and they all shoot very well BUT I did do some stuff to them. First of all I freefloated the barrelson all of them. For some reason Ruger's barrels like to have room "to run" I general float the barrel to have .020 between the barrel and the foreend. This will help on yours foresure. You can save the money on a new stock by doing this yourself with a dowel and some 80 grit(to start)sandpaper.When you get the clearance you are looking for from the chamber to the end of the foreend. Finish sand andseal the barrel channel with a coat or two of clear polyeurothane or tru oil. This is important in anhunting rifle impaticular because of the elements which can cause your stock to shrink or swell.
Secondly I install aftermarket triggers on mine. I use Timney as they are easy to install yourself. My 22 250 has a 1.5 lb while my big rifles have 3 lbs. They are a bit pricey but worth every cent. I personally have never had a trigger done by a smith. Ihave shot a few and would take the Timney over them anyday.
Good luck!!

Old 04-25-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

As has been said the first thing you should do is a thorough cleaning ensuring you get all the fouling powder and copper cleaned up. Then buy several boxes of cartridges in different weights and bullet types. Make sure that your rings and bases are tight. Then have someone else shoot your gun to see if they can do better. Then start looking at making changes to the gun. First change is a trigger job or a replacement, bringing your pull weight down from the factory lawyer trigger will do amazing things to your groups. As long as your happy with your stock I wouldn't touch it unless you absolutely have to. The most you may have to do is open up your barrel channel to free float the barrel, just make sure it is necessary first some guns like to have the pressure point others don't.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:06 AM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Sell the Ruger/Burris combo and source a Remmy/Leupold set up...

That'd be my first improvement to make, what can come from that is icing on the cake
Unbelievable just Unbelievable..Must not have bought a Remington in a while.
Actually, just did that the other day.......

New 20"Youth Model leftySPS twisted 1:9 1/4" .243 win....for the action.....

Sent the youth stock to a kid in Wyoming gratis........'cause I'm a generous guy.

Slammed it in a McMillan Sporter sourced in"as new condition"via the 'net, less any bedding, floating, lapped lugs, crown improvements,lappedrings or torqued stock bolts/scope screws...with a factory set 4 pound trigger.

To eval the barrel before an AI punch out, I grabbed some of my kids 85g TSX reloads and after a quicky bore sight @50 yards, punched a 3 shot1.197" at 150 yardswith the 4# trigger. Tweaked the trigger down to 1 3/4# and shot a .818".....

Probably busted a myth or two while at it................

Plan now is AI this tube, lap in the lugs, verify the crown,bed and float, M1 the Leupy 2X7, cerekote the metal to OD Green via Ultra Coatings Inc., DIY an OD green paint on the McMillan with Black webbing....and drive 85 X's hard via R15.

Am thinkin' it skookum as is, but after improvments,skoomum +P.....................
Old 04-26-2008, 06:09 AM

ORIGINAL: ElkNutz

WOW! MY...... HEAD......... HURTS!!!
My wife uses Midol when it's her time of the month...

It do help some....................
Old 04-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wilds

ORIGINAL: ElkNutz

WOW! MY...... HEAD......... HURTS!!!
My wife uses Midol when it's her time of the month...

It do help some....................
I have done that but don't tell my hunting buddies.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Wilds

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Sell the Ruger/Burris combo and source a Remmy/Leupold set up...

That'd be my first improvement to make, what can come from that is icing on the cake
Unbelievable just Unbelievable..Must not have bought a Remington in a while.
Actually, just did that the other day.......

New 20"Youth Model leftySPS twisted 1:9 1/4" .243 win....for the action.....

Sent the youth stock to a kid in Wyoming gratis........'cause I'm a generous guy.

Slammed it in a McMillan Sporter sourced in"as new condition"via the 'net, less any bedding, floating, lapped lugs, crown improvements,lappedrings or torqued stock bolts/scope screws...with a factory set 4 pound trigger.

To eval the barrel before an AI punch out, I grabbed some of my kids 85g TSX reloads and after a quicky bore sight @50 yards, punched a 3 shot1.197" at 150 yardswith the 4# trigger. Tweaked the trigger down to 1 3/4# and shot a .818".....

Probably busted a myth or two while at it................

Plan now is AI this tube, lap in the lugs, verify the crown,bed and float, M1 the Leupy 2X7, cerekote the metal to OD Green via Ultra Coatings Inc., DIY an OD green paint on the McMillan with Black webbing....and drive 85 X's hard via R15.

Am thinkin' it skookum as is, but after improvments,skoomum +P.....................

I'm guessing this is good information, but I don't speak this language. Can anyone translate?

Quick Reply: Question on improving my factory rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.