Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bear Rifle

Old 04-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bear Rifle

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

bears don't take alot of killing, anything that shoots a 100 gr bullet and ya put it in the vitals will work, break the front shoulder and a big bear can't even walk.
RR

I am not too concerned about how he walks. I am more concerned about how he CHEWS??

I know a lot of people look down on a lever rifle, and I am not really sure why?? For Bear hunting with dog's there really is no better choice than a lever rifle, except possibly a pump action rifle.

Bear are not extremely dangerous game, but they are at least considered dangerous game. And hunting with dogs can be a close quarters experience. It does not make you a bad hunter to take a fast follow up shot. IMO it makes you a prudent hunter.

Also if you shot you can get a great deal on a used lever action. I just bought a used 1894 Marlin with beautiful wood for $390 on the internet. This is a top quality rifle that will give a life time of service, and then another life time of service to whoever you give it to.

If you buy a rifle like this and shoot with open sights(I prefer peep sights), practice and get good with it at 100 yards or more. You will gain the respect of all the hunters in the group when you show them you know how to use your rifle!! Tom.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prob avg less than once a year per rifle/hunt.....but I agree, quality tends to last, and i have yet to see a rifle lose value over 10-20years....

And if you are only going to own 1 rifle, to do most things with.....then spending the extra money you'll only come to appreciate down the road. I've heard quite a few guys say about a nice rifle they bought, that to replace that rifle/quality today, would cost them quite a bit more than they paid for it....

Old 04-24-2008, 03:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Wilds

Good Gear sells itself and cheap gear needs replacing.

No such thing as a rifle that's needed only a time or two a year wheremost bear hunters areat.

To each his own tho', I'd guess...

Maybe more better info will come from the "thinkers" and not the "doers", to coddleyoursenses.........
I only say that because we don't have a bear season in Ohio, i'd have to go to NY where my Uncle hunts which would be once a year. But i understand your point since i will be using it on yotes. I just don't have a ton of money to spend thats all. I appreciate everyones help though really. You guys are life savers
Old 04-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 25-06 with a good strong bullet has done well with game up to and including Elk. I Africa it will take all but the biggest plains game and of course under the right conditions, it will kill any animal on earth. This said, it's at it's best for deer, pronghorns and long range varmit shooting. Works well for most sheep hunting as well.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

A 308win or 30-06 are great but no heavier than 180gr and a partition for the lighter165gr bullet.

The 338fed/358win/35rem are all great andblack bears are not hard to kill but bigger bullets work better and high velocitiesare not required either. The 35rem with buffalo Bores 220grSpeer @2200fps is prefect and so is the 336marlin. The 308win with a plan old 180gr corelokt round nose id prefesct as well and in a rem 700 bolt or Modle #7 with a 20 inch barrel great. Ruger offers both the 338fed and 358win which are bot neck up 308 cases. And no 3-9 scopes either thats to much magifacation a 1-4 or 1.5-5 is perfect a 2-7 is at the hi end ofmagnifacation. And yes all these will work too 7mm08 280rem 270win 260rem.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Same cartridge you would use for Whitetail Deer