Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Wonder if anyone can give some advise >

Wonder if anyone can give some advise

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Wonder if anyone can give some advise

Old 02-21-2003, 04:29 PM

Default Wonder if anyone can give some advise

Just stumbled on the site today. I am totally new to the whole world of hunting. Last year i went with a friend to utah and he had some depredation tags to fill off of his alfalfa fields and that was my first taste, so now i want to start to get my own equipment. I shot a 30-06, 25-06, 270 and the 7mm that week. I liked the 270 and the 7mm the most ( actually cant even tell you why) If I went with a 7mm would that take down just about any game that i would hunt for in the western states? I just dont even have a clue about all of this. uuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhh like learning a new language. Anyway any insight on what i should start with would be great. Also scopes... i am even more clueless in that department. (in the $250 - $400 range)
Old 02-21-2003, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wonder if anyone can give some advise

Welcome bigleague to the board and to the sport of hunting. Before you rush out to buy a rifle ,try and shoot as many different ones you can.See which one feels the best and fits you.You need to decide what action you want. Bolt,lever,semi auto etc. The 7mm Rem Mag will handle everything in North America.As far as a scope I would recommend saving up and buying good glass for the rifle. In scopes like many other things you get what you pay for.The cheaper scopes leave allot to be desired.One rifle in particular I would stay way from is the Remington 710.Savage makes decent rifles that are very accurate at very reasonable prices.Good luck trying your hand at hunting. It is a challenge.
Ruger Redhawk
Old 02-21-2003, 06:07 PM

I think you should find a good rifle (up $400 or lower) cause anything higher is no good bacause it is a reg rifle but jacked up such as a weatherby. I think you should buy a good remington Model 788 they were discontinued because it was more accurate then the mod 700. They still can be found espeacily on the site ww.gunsamerica.com when you get there go to serach and type in " remington mod 788" but with out the " " . Please try this site before buying. Try to get a least a 308,243,7mm08 or the 6mm(aka 244) ethier one is the ok. Ok? My Dad is trying to get the hole collection. A scope should be a least a buschnell,nikkion or tasco a 3x9. If buschnell get a buschnell sports veiw, if you get a tasco get a tasco world class. The 7mm mag is ok but it hits a small TWIG and the bullet expands at a 100 yards or more because it is so fast. I would recamend a mod 700 308cal.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 7 rem mag is my choice for an all arounder.(I hunt lopers, whitetails, mulie, elk and moose). It will be fine.

As far as rifles it is really personal choice and budget that dictates what rifle will be good for you. In most case a rem, winchester, browning, tikka, savage...so on will preform very well. Not all guns will fit you like they do others. I suggest handling as many as possible, make sure you slide the bolt to feel the action (not binding, gritty, etc), make sure the safety is placed well for you and will be able to operate it without deshouldering or thinking with a little practice. A gun should feel like a extension of your arm, if it feels heavy, bulky, light, whatever...just not quite what you want then x it from your list.

Scopes I would say min. bushnell to look at would be the Elite 3200 or compareable other manufacturer' s models. I owned a Tasco once and was junk, never again. I agree the scope is as important as the rifle you put it on, your best to save and buy better than buy cheap for now, in the end you' ll have spent less than buying 2. I would look through scopes and try and get opinions here and elsewhere on that model, then make a decision. Put on good quality rings and mounts as well, dovetails mounts are prefered by most.

Power of scopes a 2-7 or 3-9 should be just fine. Objective 40 mm-50mm will be fine. Forget the illuminated recticle scope models, more money and some more to go wrong.

One thing to consider a good hunting rifle will be an investment and will give you a lifetime of use. Buy the one that you can see some future with, you like, fits and in the end you' ll be very satisfied.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would also choose the 7mm over the other choices you have given for an all around cartridge.For a scope I would choose one in the 3x9 range or so with a 40mm objective.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:13 AM

I to have a bagit and know how hard it is to find a good gun for the mony I did alot of looking befor I got my savage 110 3006 and Im glad I did 3x9x40 bushnell sharp shooter scop and shoot 3/4 grops at 100 yds that gun relly in perist me and my nex gun will be a savage Iv ownd all the oters in the past and the savage is a lot of gun for the mony you cant go wrong by a savage but that my apenyon
Old 02-22-2003, 01:28 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-22-2003, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the board Bigleague!
Heres another vote for the 7MM Rem. Magnum!
I' d go with a Winchester or Savage rifle, and a Leupold or Nikon scope. For the money, you wouldn' t be disappointed in any of these choices1 Good Luck!
Old 02-22-2003, 08:02 PM

welcome aboard.

if you can handle the 7mm rem mag go with it. get a nice savage rifle ( at wal-mart for $350.00 ) also get a nice leupold scope. 3-9X40mm.
i would rather have a cheap rifle and a great scope than the other way around.
Old 02-22-2003, 10:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

7mm Mag. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Wonder if anyone can give some advise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.