Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning  X bolt >

Browning X bolt

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning X bolt

Old 04-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Browning X bolt

I got my chance to pick one up and cycle the action and give it a good looking over.This was a hunter model in 7 rem mag. . In all a very nicely made rifle, really good fit and finish, areally good trigger and a slick magazine system(although it is polycarbonate). Bolt has changed as well. It has a different shroud and there is no rotating sleeve around the bolt body anymore. I would put this rifle in the top 5rifles I would consider coming out of the factory.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Browning X bolt

I handled the same rifle you did, only at a different shop I'm guessing.

I came up with the same opinion as you on it. Im still waiting to see the composite stocked version.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

handled the same rifle you did, only at a different shop I'm guessing.

I came up with the same opinion as you on it. Im still waiting to see the composite stocked version.

Only thing that has me confused is the X pattern ..if they wanted strength why not just go to 8/40 screws?
Old 04-13-2008, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I agree. That has to be one of the weirdest damn scope mounting systems I've seen on a rifle.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have yet to see one in person yet but have read a little about them. Will this rifle be replacing the A-Bolt? I still see the A-Bolt listed on the website so I just wondered. After comparing the two on Browning's website, IMOthe A-Bolt is a better looking rifle. In person they may look better though.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Have yet to see one in person yet but have read a little about them. Will this rifle be replacing the A-Bolt? I still see the A-Bolt listed on the website so I just wondered. After comparing the two on Browning's website, IMOthe A-Bolt is a better looking rifle. In person they may look better though.
It appears for now they are still making some abolt variants but this is their main bolt rifle. The new one has some of the Euro styling since everyone wants to copy that trend but it still is a nice rifle and feels lighter then the Abolt comparing it to the Abolt 7mm I used to hunt with . Mechanically it is a very good rifle
Old 04-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Mechanically I think they made some real goodimprovements such as the absense of the bolt sleeve, much better extractor, ability to unload the gun while safety is on, much better trigger, better recoil pad, etc...

Asthetically I think it looks like crap.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Asthetically I think it looks like crap.

COmpared to the abortions such as Tikka T3,Sako A7 , Certain Remington 700's and a host of other unmentionables I think they are almost classic design.It is the best rifle sold for its price range in the US.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 PM

Oldelkhunter,
That's a bold statement "The best rifle sold for its price range".
I love my A-bolts and have been a little concerned that they took a good rifle and would turn it into crap. I'm very pleased to hear that it sounds like they have actually improved it.
I haven't had a chance to see or handle one yet... now I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks for the upbeat review.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey,I said they made some real good improvements to the rifle itself.I just think that the stock looks terrible. i think that the T3 hunter looks better than the Xbolt does. All synthetics are ugly IMO, although functional.

That line coming from the grip and disappearing into the butt is UGLY as it the aluminum that surrounds the magazine and comes up into the the side fo the stock. I can deal with the semi beaver tail styled forend.The forend needs to be an inch longer and the checkering in the wrist is too low and needs to come up higher. Although the recoil padis a good improvement as far as function goes its fit to the stockis terrible and the mold lines are still visible in the rubber.

Quick Reply: Browning X bolt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.