Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ruger #1 users....likes and dislikes? >

Ruger #1 users....likes and dislikes?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger #1 users....likes and dislikes?

Old 04-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger #1 users....likes and dislikes?

being a lefty, I'm somewhat limited in bolt action rifle choices, so I've been thinking about a Ruger #1 since it's good for left or right handed shooters.

Just wondering if anyone who has used one has found that single shot to be a handicap at all and what sort of accuracy these rifles are capable of.

Looks like the #1B is offered in the most calibers, but the #1A light sporter looks like a really compact, easy to tote around powerhouse too!
Old 04-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ruger #1 users....likes and dislikes?

I don't own one, only thing I forsee is having 1 shot....

also i see so many rifles now available in left hands...bolts.....sure less than right hands, but still plenty of leftys, and even some nice ones I think. I think a lefty can find a pretty nice bolt rifle.....whether its a nicer rifle or a entry level type.

Old 04-10-2008, 12:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

All i know is that i dont have one and i want one
Old 04-10-2008, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

I have a 1-B in .30-06. I do not find the single shot to be a handicap at all. It will consistently shoot 1.25" groups at 100 yards. It is also one of the prettiest rifles on the market. The biggest negative is that when you buy one, you get an uncontrollable urge to have more.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had one for a while and the only thing that bothered me was I had to get the extended rings to mount my scope. I would suggest to get a scope with lots of eye relief to eliminate this problem but other then that I wish I still had it...
Old 04-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Only thing I don't like about it is the foreend bedding. I also wish they made the 1A model with a 24" barrel and that they would resurrect the 1S in magnum cartridges.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

what specifically don't you like about the forend bedding?

Also, I only see the #1A stainless/laminate only available in 45-70.......am I missing something?
Old 04-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

I have a #1 in .300 Whby and really it just the weight of the gun but, my .50 cal T/C Encore weighs about the same.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Currently I have 4 but will likely add at least ne, maybe two more by year end. I've yet to find any negative aspects to this classic rifle. Many cry about the one shot...yaeh, how many ya need? if one can't take a single well placed shot for a humane kill, they sholdn't be in the woods hunting. No needf for the spray and pray mentality or simply hoping the first shot will hit in a spot so that a blodd trail is likely. Make the one shot count!
Two of mine, I've yet to shoot but the other 2 are both quite accurate for my purposes. The .22-250 will keep a quartser at 100yrds and the .45-70 will hit it's mark (minute of deer) at the same distance. If the .30-06 shoots well it'll stayas is, otherwise it's becomeing a .300 H&H. The 4th is a .405 Winchester. All blued/walnut. want to add a RSI in 7x57 and liekly the upcoming K1_ in .250 savage in a few months. After those, proberly one in 257 Roberts and .243.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

that single shot to be a handicap at all and what sort of accuracy these rifles are capable of.
The single shot is absolutely no handicap at all. One thing it does is force you to be a little more careful about where the first shot goes, but it can be refilled plenty fast. But you need to practice this to become proficient (in other words, a little work is required!!) I use a 6-shot cartridge carrier on the buttstock. Some use the wrist band type.Either help some.

Every Ruger single shot I have owned (a 1V .25/'06, a 1A 7X57mm, a 1B .30/'06, a 1B 7mm Rem. Mag., a No. 3 in.30/40 Krag, anda 1S .45/70), have been MOA shooters or better right out of the box WITH HANDLOADED AMMO.(No problem for me as I only fire factory ammo on rare occasion, and then only to get some empty brass to refill!)

That is, all except for the 1B in .30/'06, which so far has done no better than 1.25MOA, but I have not yet really tried to find a good load for it. My 7mm Rem. Mag. will shoot three shots into 2" @ 200 yards with several 140 and 175-grain loads. My 7X57 is a 1A. With a leupold 2X-7X scope on it, you will never find a more accurate or handier rifle of that power anywhere! But the 1B is a bit heavier, and is not the best suited to mountain walking! However, I carry my 7 Mag when elk hunting, even though I know dwn deep that the 7X57 with 175-grain Nosler Partition bullets is all you need for elk too.....

I have read on these boards about inaccurate No. 1's. I have never personally seen such a critter. I sometimes suspect there are more inaccurate users than No. 1's! Here's a 3-shot group from my 7X57mm 1A, 140-grain Nosler Partition bullet, MV 3000 FPS (YES IT WILL!!)

Quick Reply: Ruger #1 users....likes and dislikes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.