Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifle Or Shotgun For Squirrels >

Rifle Or Shotgun For Squirrels

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle Or Shotgun For Squirrels

Old 04-07-2008, 12:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Rifle Or Shotgun For Squirrels

Hey folks I am going to buy either a Ruger 10/22
rifle or Browning BPS 20 gauge for squirrel season.
Our season opens in September and I can afford
only one gun for now.In Virginia we do have a lot
of leaves on the trees then as the squirrels are
cutting acorns then.I have used both rifle and
shotgun and both are great and it is a hard call
as both have their advantages.When up a tree
with leaves the shotgun rules but when on the
ground 45 yards away the rifle rules.My seven
year old son will be hunting with me alot then
and I just want him to have fun and for us to
shoot some squirrels.Just wonder what everyone
usesas they hunt early season squirrels and why
do you use one more than the other.Thanks alot
for any suggestions! Mike
Old 04-07-2008, 01:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle Or Shotgun For Squirrels

great you are taking your 7 yr old with ya. I think my brother in law is going to start is youngest (7 also) this year, and my brother start both his boys very young.

I would personaly take both an shotgun and an 22, (which I have done in the past)

but if you can't affard both, the ruger 10/22, you'll have a good little squirrel gun, plinker, and an gun you can mod.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

As a kid, I hunted squirrels exclusively with a shotgun. That was along time ago. I found that squirrel hunting with a .22 is the best training for deer hunting you can do. It teaches you stealth, vigilance, patience and precision, all goodskills to developfor deer hunting. ...and you get to eat some squirrels.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Why not have both in same gun. Savage makes a over and under 22lr-20ga. My sister had an early one that was 22lr-410. That way you have both worlds.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:04 AM

The .22 would be nice because they are cheap to shoot and fun to plink with. I might sway towards the 20 ga BPS though simply because in my opinion the shotgun will be more versatile and the BPS is a fantastic gun. With the BPS you could squirrel hunt, bunny hunt, bird hunt and do some trap and skeet. And you could deer hunt with some slugs if you wanted, or get a rifled slug barrel for it.

Personally for me if I went for a .22 squirrel gun I would look at a savage bolt action instead of the 10/22. The rugers are nice if you plan on tricking them out but in my opinion the savage bolt guns with the accutrigger would be a better gun out of the box and maybe a bit cheaper as well. They make some nice youth models as too.

I would say get the BPS now, then save up and get a .22 later and you would have both.

My opinion anyway.

Paul
Old 04-07-2008, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I was thinking .22, until you mentioned your son...If he is large enough to shoot the 20 gauge, I think you would have more success with the 20 gauge...

Early season squirrels can be tricky to pick up with a scoped sighted .22 and I think he might get frustrated trying to pick them up in the scope...That's why I would lean to the BPS, using high brass #6 shot...Get one with screw in chokes, I'd start with the modifed...Have fun!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

I started with a 20 gauge, its alot easier to hit with. The 22 should come in a couple years later when he is ready to start learning marksmanship, and passing on overhead shots should become easier withsome experience.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:07 PM

It would not only be eaiser for your son to hit the squirrels with a shotgun, it would be a lot safer. Those 22 LR bullets can travel a long way before hitting something.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jtb1967

It would not only be eaiser for your son to hit the squirrels with a shotgun, it would be a lot safer. Those 22 LR bullets can travel a long way before hitting something.
I totally agree...there are lots of places that using a .22 in would not be for the best... near houses, malls, etc. where a shotgun would be more safe. jtb1967 is absolutely right. Those bullets can travel a long way.....
Old 04-07-2008, 03:04 PM

I say go with the shotgun.......I do have to agree though that if you can afford to get an o/u, they make the perfect squirrel rifles. My grandpa has one that my family has been using for a long time, 22lr/.410. The 410 isn't quite the "shotgun" that a 20ga is, but it'll require you take a little bit more time, but it's still better than the .22. (less bbs in the squirrel too)

Quick Reply: Rifle Or Shotgun For Squirrels

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.