Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need your help with purchase! What is the best .30-06 rifle in your opinion?? >

Need your help with purchase! What is the best .30-06 rifle in your opinion??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need your help with purchase! What is the best .30-06 rifle in your opinion??

Old 04-06-2008, 08:24 PM

Default Need your help with purchase! What is the best .30-06 rifle in your opinion??

I am getting a rifle for some target shooting. I want a bolt action in .30-06 because I want to have the recoil to add to the fun of shooting. For sure I'm getting it in .30-06. I looked at remington, ruger, tika, and new model 70 that they just came out, but savage was recommended by many people. But there are so many of them! Which of these would you recommend?

114 Classic
http://www.savagearms.com/114Classic.htm

114 American Classic
http://www.savagearms.com/114AmerClassic...

114 Euro Classic
http://www.savagearms.com/114EuroClassic...

111BTH
http://www.savagearms.com/11model_BTHlongaction.htm

111G
http://www.savagearms.com/111g.htm

110GXP3
http://www.savagearms.com/110gxp3.htm

Which one would u get and why? Looks wise I like the first 3 just because of that black tip at the front of the stock. Any recommendations? Also if there are other brands besides savage in the same price range, feel free to suggest those, as you can tell I want a wood stock with checkering, long bolt action in 30-06. The new winchester looks really good, and the video on the winchester website made it appealing but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra 300ish dollars.

Also how is the scope that comes in the package series with savage? I have a centerpoint scope 4-16 x 40 already, how does that one compare? And is it sighted in already out of the box?

Also if you have general opinions about what the best bolt action rifle in .30-06 is do tell! I'm not talking about anything too fancy like Cooper. Just around 1000ish is upper limit, but the lower the better of course. Seems like savages are all around 600ish.

Also this will be my first firearm, but I don't want a .22, i already had several air rifles that were more powerful than .22s (.50 caliber dragon slayer, .22 superstreak, webley patriot, etc). I'm 22 years old, and I figured if I'm spending so much on air guns I might as well get a centerfire rifle. Also the rifle will not be used for hunting, and because of this a lot of people told me that a .30-06 is over doing it for my purposes, however I want a .30-06 for it's recoil, and of course to feel cool about having such a powerful rifle

Thanks for any input!!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need your help with purchase! What is the best .30-06 rifle in your opinion??

None of the above.............

The logical and sensible thing to do would be getting a .223 rem or 308 win to start off with. If you are not a handloader, those cartridges are going to be for the most part cheapest to shoot. Ammunition prices are doing nothing but going up, just like fuel prices are. It's sad but pretty soon the average guy isnt going to be able to afford to shoot as much as he once could.

The Savage 10 FP's are availible in both calibers and are a good entry level target rifleat appx $600.I would spend the $1000 for the M10 FCP with McMillan.

It might just be mebut I never thought recoil being cool.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need your help with purchase! What is the best .30-06 rifle in your opinion??

None of the above.............

No way a Savage darkens my gun safe.

I looked at remington, ruger, tika, and new model 70 that they just came out, but savage was recommended by many people
Opinions are like ..........anyone that picks a Savage over the list you provided needs some serious counselling.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:05 AM

There's nothing wrong with Savage if that's within your budget range. Of the options you listed, I probably go with the 114 Amercian Classic. I like the stock design and the detachable magazine. But buy the one YOU like.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

The classic series is a nice rifle, you have to choose if you want a detachable box mag. or internal mag. Savage makes a good rifle, I own two Savagerifles in 7mm. mag. weather warrior mod. 116and .270. mod. 110. as good or better than Rem. IMO
Old 04-07-2008, 07:47 AM

msmforever69 if you don't want to spend a lot of money but still want a great shooting rifle take a look at the mossberg line of guns.Remember what was said earlier in this post about opinions.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you ae going to use it primarily as a hunting rifle, skip the 30-06- even if you were going to use it as a hunting rifle, there are still better choices.

The 30-06 has more recoil than most people can handle. A lot of people have them and hunt with them, but I've watched hundreds of people sit down and shoot them. About 75% of them start flinching and jerking the trigger after about 4-5 shots.

for making holes in paper, a .223 will do the same thing as a 30-06, only it will be much easier and cheaper to shoot.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Remington 700. I agree with getting a 308. Nothing against savage, Im just a remington 700 man. 308 has recoil too. & if you decide to hunt with it the 308 will do everything the 06 will do
Old 04-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: msmforever69

...Looks wise I like the first 3 just because of that black tip at the front of the stock. Any recommendations? Also if there are other brands besides savage in the same price range, feel free to suggest those, as you can tell I want a wood stock with checkering, long bolt action in 30-06.
You should go to a store with a wide selection, & handle as many makes/models as you can. Maybe the Ruger fits you best. Maybethe Winchesterfeels just right in your hand. Perhaps a Browning feels like it was made just for you. There's no shortage of people who fawn over the Remington 700 CDL, myself included. If you do it this way, your rifle will pick you.

... Also how is the scope that comes in the package series with savage? I have a centerpoint scope 4-16 x 40 already, how does that one compare? And is it sighted in already out of the box?
... The scope in the package will be borderline serviceable. It may last 20 years, or it may give it up after 2 shots. Regardless of how long it lasts, you'll be handicapping yourself with a very low-end optic. For $100 to $150 these days, you can pick up a scope that will be an incredible jump in quality over the package scope. I have never heard of a Centerpoint scope. I suppose if they were really good, one would see them getting much more press 'round these kinds of forums. And how did you end up with a scope before the rifle?

... Also this will be my first firearm, but I don't want a .22, i already had several air rifles that were more powerful than .22s (.50 caliber dragon slayer, .22 superstreak, webley patriot, etc). I'm 22 years old, and I figured if I'm spending so much on air guns I might as well get a centerfire rifle. Also the rifle will not be used for hunting, and because of this a lot of people told me that a .30-06 is over doing it for my purposes, however I want a .30-06 for it's recoil, and of course to feel cool about having such a powerful rifle

Thanks for any input!!
And here's the crux of the matter. You could well decide within your first box of cartridges that you've bitten off much more than you can chew: the '06 can be quite a handful if the stock doesn't fit you well. At this point, you'll be out $700-ish for the rifle (purchased new in wood & blue, from among the makes mentioned above), plus the scope & rings if you didn't go with the package route. You'll be able to sell it easily enough, but you're likely going to take a $100 to $300 bath on it. That's a pretty hefty loss for 1 brief range session.

As for the '06 being "such a powerful rifle", you need to understand that they all are. For instance, .223's go, "bang" just as loudly, and they're every bit as effective at making holes in paper. There's far less recoil when shooting one,and the ammois often abit cheaper, too. The shells may be smaller, but they're manly enough for our troops to be carrying in Afghanistan & Iraq.

If you poke around this site enough, you'll see several accounts of members who worked themselves up the cartridge ladder into the big boomers, only to settle a notch or 2 below the .30-'06 when they got some experience beneath their belts. There's a reason for that.

So go to the range, buddy-up to someone, and shoot their .30-'06first! If you like it, then buy your own. If you don't like it, you will have saved yourself from making a bad choice, but you'll still be able to tell everyone that you've shot a .30-'06. Now, if you decide that you'd like to hunt after all, then tell us the beasts you'll be felling, & we can recommend some suitable cartridges.

FC
Old 04-07-2008, 01:50 PM

The '06 is a puzzycat, and will do whatever, wherever, whenever....and I'd harbor zero shame if that's all I had to work with.

Tons of reloading options, tons of factory ammo options, components/factory rounds are for sale on every shelf wherevermost any self respecting hunter would travel to hunt.

True, the wheel's been reinvented numberous times, and many can like other chamberings better....but there's no flys on an '06.

A Rem 700 is, IMHO, the best bang for the buck regarding platform....

Quick Reply: Need your help with purchase! What is the best .30-06 rifle in your opinion??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.