Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Lever action or Bolt action? >

Lever action or Bolt action?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: A poll
Lever action
26.03%
Bolt action
73.97%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Lever action or Bolt action?

Old 09-17-2008, 06:19 PM

Default RE: Lever action or Bolt action?

Actually I prefer a pump. Got a 7600 in 7mm-08 & love it. Got a round worked up for the open areas and one for the woods.

However......given the choice between bolt & lever....I'd go with the bolt.

firstshot
---------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pump rifle!
Old 09-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

I have a pump, a lever, and a bolt for deer. Toss a coin between the lever and the pump first, and the third choice for me is the bolt.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Comparing a lever gun to a bolt gun is like comparing a minivan to a pickup. They were not designed to serve the same function. Sometimes you need one and sometimes the other is better for the task at hand.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:20 AM
DM

ORIGINAL: shdwlkr

DM
What about those of us who never take a shot beyond 250 yards where is the bolt more acccurate or faster. I know I would rather take one of my levers most of the time instead of my bolt actions. I know I a lot has to do with my age as an old fart I just like the old way of doing things and the lever is way older then the bolt. Just asking a question as I am new here.
Well, i'm an old fart too, but i've NEVER hunted where i could "never" take a longer shot. Maybe the longer shot would be when walking into the spot, or maybe i changed my mind, and moved to a more open spot later in the day???

I'm not into shooting into the next county to kill an animial, but i'm also not into limiting myself to 250 yards either...

One thing is forsure... If you buy10 bolt guns and10 lever guns, using factory ammo, i'll bet you the bolt guns will out shoot the levers. Maybe not in every case, but it's no secret that bolt guns outshoot levers almostevery time.

Personally, these days i don'thunt much witheither one... BTW, ido NOT hate lever rifles...

DM
Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 AM

I can't use magnums never could except a .264mag I had decades ago and never should have let it go. I do have an old winchester 92 and wouldn't trade it for anything. I have several winchester 94's in 30-30 and .375 winchester including a custom built one with a 26 inch barrel and several bolt actions. I also have have a winchester model 1886 in 45-70 which I am having fun with.
In bolt actions I have a 257 bob, 270 winchester and 30-06 I told you I am an old fart and I like the old stuff as it works for me and most have long barrels too. You know the ones that don't work in the brush for the new kids but they did when they where all that there was. Strange how now you need a 20 inch barrel to work in brush and to have a light enough rifle to carry all day. I will pass up a shot if I think it is to far for me as I want a good shot and a clean kill more then taking a maybe shot that could allow an animal to a long slow death.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:30 AM

DM
never thought that you did hate levers.
I also don't use much factory ammo in my levers either. I have gone back to lead bullets and the limitations that puts on my hunting. I am going backwards and I know a few others are following my tracts and others have to have the newest rifle out there. That makes it easier for me to find your cast offs and use them at a lot less cost and they still get the job done.
I do limit myself to 250 yard shots but can take a much longer one if I have too but do my best to keep this as a seldom done. It takes more skill to get closer and that is what I like. I also hunt with a muzzle loader which might be why I limit shots to 250 yards.
I want very much to take my .375 winchester with 26 inch barrel cow elk hunting one day but I have to have someone go with me as my legs are no good anymore and will need help to get it back to the truck. I am working up loads for it when time permits. I will be using a 280+grain fn bullet made from ww's should leave the barrel at about 1900fps which will have enough engery to stop my cow elk.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:53 PM
FA
Fork Horn

I guess the bottom line here is, if your hunting where 500 yard shots or moreare possible then use a bolt action rifle. If you hunt where 50 yards out to say 300 yard shots are as far as you will need to shoot then go with a lever. I have taken deer at 200 yards with a 30-30 and saw an antelope taken with a .308 levergun at 300 yards. I'm an old phart also 62 to be exact and have used leverson grizzly bear to whitetail deer with great results but wouldn't even think of taking a shot over 300 yards with a lever. They are good rifles if they are used the way they were intended to be used. Not all of us require a rifle with 500 + yards capabilities but only 300 yard shots max.
Old 09-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Typical Buck

Bolt
Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

I use both, and I am good with both... so it just depends on the situation and where I am hunting. My favourite to carry would be a lever, but I really only carry it when I am hunting brush or timber

Quick Reply: Lever action or Bolt action?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.