Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 favorite .22 lr ammo? >

favorite .22 lr ammo?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

favorite .22 lr ammo?

Old 04-06-2008, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: favorite .22 lr ammo?

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

how much is it? and what is it called again?
anyone have a savage mark II?
I shoot a MKIIF, 22LR, just one of the 4 .22 rifles i have. It is my favorite though. Got a little .22 scope on it, and with the Federals from WallyWorld, it's a sure enough squirrel buster.
I tried the Remington Golds, but was having too many misfeeds. I went with the Federals and haven't had any more problems.
I use the Golds in my 10/22 now, until they are all gone. It'll eat them easier than the Savage.
I won't buy the Remingtons again.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:03 AM

I normally have pretty good luck with winchester ammo, I would try the 40 grn hollow points. My next choice is usually CCI. But like said you need to shoot different brands to see what your particular gun likes. I normally get better groups with hunting ammo than I do with the expensive target ammo though, go figure.

Stay away from the bulk stuff, I never have good luck with that stuff. Remington is usually the last brand I will try.

Paul
Old 04-06-2008, 09:19 AM

yeah im gonna try out some winchester ammo and some CCI,......although im very happy with the federal champion i have had some misfeeeds....is there anything i should do or have done to make the bolt smoother on my mark II? and stop jamming?
is hollow point or solid tip better for squirrel/rabbit?
what is better for yotes 60 grain hollow or solid tip?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:01 PM

ORIGINAL: loganw

Federals at Wal-Mart. 550 rounds for 10 bucks
federal valur pack?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:01 PM

is hollow point or solid tip better for squirrel/rabbit?
what is better for yotes 60 grain hollow or solid tip?
Old 04-06-2008, 07:45 PM

I think for everything you listed i would usethe 32 GR.CCI stingers. They shoot great out my semi-automatic 22 LR. They have about 191 lbs. of ME and they go 1640 f.p.s at the muzzle. Although, for shots or stuff like fox, coyote, groundhog i would reccommend CCI velocitor. It is a 40 GR. bullet with 188 lbs. of muzzle energy and it goes 1435 f.p.s. It is a hollow point, and is supposed to have 22% more energy at 100 yards than any other 22 LR bullet on the market.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

... anyone have a savage mark II?
I have a MK II BV that absolutely loves the fed. champion 40g lead round nose stuff, for $1.47/box. I bought several more expensive kinds that didn't shoot nearly as well.

All rifles are individuals, though. Just as there are actually people out there who hate pizza, can't stand Coke, and won't ever touch anything chocolate, there are rifles out there that won't eat the same ammo that most others handle pretty well. So get 8 or 10 different kinds of ammo, & let your Savage tell you which one it likes best.

I haven't seen much of a difference in the accuracy of different bullet weights with that .22lr, but each of my centerfires seems to have a preferred bullet weight. For instance, my '06 loves anything in 165 grains, but 150's, 180's, and 220's cause it to shoot pretty squirrely.

FC
Old 04-07-2008, 01:47 PM

yeah i will try some of that cci stuff and some more federal and just get 50 round packs
this might sound dumb but how do i tell how well my gun likes certain ammo??
Old 04-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

yeah i will try some of that cci stuff and some more federal and just get 50 round packs
this might sound dumb but how do i tell how well my gun likes certain ammo??
Doesthe ammofeed well?

Does it extract reliably?

Are the holes in the target close together?

Is your action/bore any cleaner or dirtier than with other kinds of ammo?

FWIW, I have a .22lr pistol that HATES the fed. ammo that my Savage loves. FTF's &FTE's galore. So I find other ammo that won't that problem in that gun.

FC

Old 04-07-2008, 01:53 PM

yeah i have had a couple jams with the federal champion ammo
any ammo i should try out?

Quick Reply: favorite .22 lr ammo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.