Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Talley's LW's??? >

Talley's LW's???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Talley's LW's???

Old 03-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Talley's LW's???

Tell me what you think of Talley LW's Alloy (ring and base mounts)?

What about for use on a338wm?

Talley'swebsitestates low fit upto 44m objectives but wondering if anybody has evertried the lows witha 44mm Conquest?BTW rifle is a Browning abolt (no boss).

Thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Talley's LW's???

To begin with,altho I usually shy away from aluminum rings,talley is top of the line products. I assume you're talking about the 1 piece ring/base and I really like idea of that as it eliminates parts/screws to potentionally come loose.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Made of 7075 alloy tensile strength of 75000psi and designed by Melvin Forbes for use on ultralight rifles what is not to like about them. If they can take the recoil of a 284-shortmag cartridge that weighs 5 lbs and maybe 6 with a scope it can sure take a 338 win mag. I can mount the low mounts either Lightweight or Steel ring and put a Swarovski 4-12x50 AV on it with no clearance problems. That would be on a VAnguard but since they have the same bolt spacing as a Remington 700 will work as well. Their lows are about Leupold medium. I have lightweight's that I used deer hunting on a 25-06 Abolt and used a Kahles 3-9x42 with no clearance issues. Not sure if the Zeiss has a much bigger frontbucket then the Kahles or Swaro though.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

YesI was referring to the ring and base talley combo. I too have always been a Steel mounts are best guy. However I like the theory behind these and so far everything i have heard has been positive. Just wanted to know if anybody has used them for larger then .300's.

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Not sure if the Zeiss has a much bigger frontbucket then the Kahles or Swaro though.
Zeiss measures:
Objective (OD): 49mm
Eyepiece (OD): 44mm

The specs I could find were on a 1" 3x9x42 Kahles where the objective (OD) is 48mm and the eye piece (OD)is 43mm.

OEH,do you have OD measurements??? Is their room to putBCflip upson?If i canmake the switch therifle will bestrictly amoose and elk gun,moisture in the way of rain and wet snow is likely, so I'll want ButlerCreekson it.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Skeeter I haven't used them on my personal riflesbutI haveinstalled a bunch on encores in the past. The encore set up is one single piece for the front and rear. We never had a problem with any of them. Typical Talley quality.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had them on a Kimber 84M in .308 for two years now. Scope is a Swaro American 3-9 X 36. No issues what-so-ever.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

OEH,do you have OD measurements??? Is their room to putBCflip upson?If i canmake the switch therifle will bestrictly amoose and elk gun,moisture in the way of rain and wet snow is likely, so I'll want ButlerCreekson it.
With a 4-12x50 AV on a Vanguard there was very little room for the front covers that Swaro supplies, I had to shave the bottoms with an exacto knive , it was close. With a 44 I would think you would have plenty of room.

I think the Factory supplied flipups are thicker then a Butler Creek.