Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 synthetic or wood???? The final decision >

synthetic or wood???? The final decision

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

synthetic or wood???? The final decision

Old 03-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default synthetic or wood???? The final decision

First of all....thank you to everyone who have given me caliber and rifle make/model opinions in my previous posts.

I've finally decided that I'm going with a left handed Browning A-Bolt in either .270 or .30-06

Now, I'm trying to decide between the Stainless Stalker and the Medallion.

The practical side of me says to go synthetic/stainless.....but the wood stocked Medallion feels so good and looks great.

Any opinions?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: synthetic or wood???? The final decision

IMO, I prefer the wood feel, always have.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I kinda choose function over form. I love the look of a nice wood stock, but, I don't like scratching them up. I took the wood stock off my 700 ADL .30-06 and installed a synthetic, and all rifles I've acquired lately have had synthetic stocks.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

but the wood stocked Medallion feels so good and looks great
Sounds like wood is your preference.

Personally like wood as well, even more so when compared to most factory synthetic stocks.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

To look at Wood, for hard use a Synthetic. The synthetic are allot more forgiving.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

I love my abolt medallion, I saw a browning synthetic varmint and the stock just seemed so cheap, like plastic.....some synthetics I like out there, I dont think brownings one of them. I am a fan of synthetics though, esp on most rifles, if you plan to be in the mtns, snow rain....id prob go stainless, though they make a wood/stainless I believe.

I just like the idea of the stock now swelling etc.....and therefore always shooting on point. If you plan to hunt warm conditions you may just want to go with wood.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think Browning thoroughly waterproofs their wood stocks so movement should not be an issue especially with a gun that has a free floated barrel. That said the Medallion if I am not mistaken has a very bright finish which I wouldn't like in a Hunting rifle and I think they went overboard with it. The Abolt synthetic stock is a step up from most synthetic stocks on most factory rifles. It has no seam lines and sounds more solid compared to what I have seen coming from most other manufacturers.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

After I managed to warp a wood stock on an adl I have stayed with the synthetic ones.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

After being in the architectural woodwork business for 30 years, I can tell you for a fact, no matter how good a finish is on wood, it will expand, contract, warp, and check with climate changes. A wood finish is also very slippery when wet. I buy all synthetic/ stainless firearms. I really like my Remington 700 XCR in synthetic with the in-layed soft rubber grips at the forearm and around the trigger handle. It has at great gripping actionwhen wet. See attached.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_XCR.asp
Old 03-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

While I agree about sythetic stocks being better for hard use,browning does have epoxy finish on their medallions that is very durable. The way I look at it-if you get a stainless stalker,you'll have a good tool whereas if you get a medallion you'll have a companion that you can be proud of.

Quick Reply: synthetic or wood???? The final decision

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.