Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 what is better for a first time .22 buyer? >

what is better for a first time .22 buyer?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what is better for a first time .22 buyer?

Old 03-22-2008, 07:18 PM

Default what is better for a first time .22 buyer?

im really sorry about all the questions i have been asking recently
i have 2 shotguns and numerous pellet pistols and guns and have beeen shooting for a while and i really want to get a .22. what would be better for me do you think
a semi auto
or bolt action
any particular models would be great
thanks
Old 03-22-2008, 07:28 PM

Default RE: what is better for a first time .22 buyer?

When I was young, my father made all the kids learn to shoot on a single shot .22. That way we learned to hit what we were shooting at (that was the original gun control) with the first shot. Since you have stated that you have been shooting for a while, I would probably go with something like the Ruger 10/22. It is inexpensive, accurate, fun to shoot and you can get any number of accessories and upgrades for it if you wish.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:34 PM

so you wouldnt get a bolt action like the savage mark II?
Old 03-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are at least two really fine semi-auto .22s available.

One is a Marlin M-60 and the other is a Ruger 10-22.

For a .22 LR shooter I'd suggest a semi auto.....
Old 03-22-2008, 09:09 PM
Spike

Personally, I prefer the bolt actions.

If you want to just burn through ammo, semi autos are ok, but I don't usually do that, so I'm not at a disadvantage with a bolt action. I suppose if you for some reason needed a quick follow up shot, the semi auto might have a slight advantage.

These cartridges are so short you can work the action on a bolt gun just about as quick as a semi auto anyhow once you're used to it, at least that's my experience.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lever action! Its what I have, in a .22 I really don't see any real advantage to bolt, semi auto, lever.....we're not shooting 500yds with these things. Mostly targets, maybe a squirrel. Get what you like, as far as differences in performance I really can't imagine there being any. I believe a lever is faster to cycle than a bolt, isn't the bolt the slowest of all actions? just very solid.....I dig my lever, total cowboy feel....haha, also semi autos I think you may have the urge to just blast like a full auto which I believe isn't very good for barrel life? though again we're not shooting 500yds and you dont sound like youre looking to do .22 competitions...etc....so, get whatever you like the look/feel of.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on what you are buying it for. If you are just plinking on the range then the bolt action would be the way to go. Slows you down if you are wishing to improve your shooting. If you just want to blast away then the semi auto is the way to go.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:02 AM

If you're interested in semi-serious target shooting, a bolt action is the way to go.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:30 AM
Typical Buck

Mossberg 702 plinkster (cheap, but good quality)
Ruger 10/22 (a little more expensive but well worth it for the reliability and upgrades you can buy.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Typical Buck

id go with the ruger 10/22, there the ak-47s of .22s, there harder than anything to foul up. i have the carbine one and mine shoots great at 50 yds, most of my squirrels are taken slightly past that even.

Quick Reply: what is better for a first time .22 buyer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.