Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Income to justify $7,000 rifle? >

Income to justify $7,000 rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.
View Poll Results: A poll
under 50k?
4.62%
50-80k
1.54%
80k-120k
7.69%
120-200k
12.31%
200-400k
6.15%
over 400k
9.23%
I would never spend around 7k for a rifle
35.38%
Annual Income wouldn't determine my decision
23.08%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Income to justify $7,000 rifle?

Old 03-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Income to justify $7,000 rifle?

So one of my dream rifles is a Dakota chambered in .458 lott, which as of today would run in the neighborhood of $7000 maybe $8000.

What would your income have to be in order to justify such a purchase?
Old 03-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Income to justify $7,000 rifle?

In my Blaser R93 set up I have over $15,000 . I did'nt know that untill I had to renew the Insuance
Old 03-22-2008, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

So one of my dream rifles is a Dakota chambered in .458 lott, which as of today would run in the neighborhood of $7000 maybe $8000.

What would your income have to be in order to justify such a purchase?
There is really no right or wrong answer to this question. It all comes down to priorities. I know guys that make $30,000, live in a shack, and own a $35,000 bass boat. They really can't afford it, but they want it and can make the payments.

Fine guns and registered Brangus cattle are my only "vises", and if I wanted a $7000 gun, I would find a way to buy it.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a pretty good income but never found the need for a $7000 rifle. To each his own though.....
Old 03-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

as was said, its all about priorities and putting money where it needs to be put.

last summer i dumped 1200-1300 into a m700 and leupold scope...always wanted a good groundhog rifle...figured i better buy it while i could...worked all summer landscaping and that was the only major thing i purchased. i goto school the rest of the year and live on loan money...i forget what i made last year total..i did work in the spring semester last year as well as all summer, but still less than 10k total...still bought my rifle

but, i dont have a family, house, car payment etc...im single, live at home with my parents..pay for my car insurance, cell phone bill, gas, etc..truck is paid for...thats why i buy my toys now..i know once im outta college LIFE might start and priorities may or may not change will definently get out of the parents house soon...but may or may not have a family and that stuff..and will have a better job..till i get REAL bills, and/or a family, im buying toys every chance i can so i have them for once the REAL bills and family come...

if/when i have a family/real bills, i may never see a 1200$ rifle let alone 7000$ rifle..just depends what bills i have and how the whole family thing goes...if i make 40 or 50k a year and the wife brings in the same, id say we would be doing pretty well...still doubt id see a 7000$ rifle..just rather have a nice house..good vehicles..good lifestyle....
Old 03-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many of these $7,000 rifles are dangerous game rifles in .375 H&H and larger and the owners are used to spending $20,000 on a hunt. (and a lot more)

If one can afford the hunt he can afford the finest gun he can buy.....the gun is usually justified as "reliability insurance".

I believe one can own complete reliability for a helluva lot less but then I've never hunting elephants!
Old 03-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Spike

I could never justify a $7000 rifle ifa rifle is available (either from the factory or worked over by a gunsmith) at a lower price with similar accuracy and durability to the $7000 one. I could go out today and buy the $7k rifle and not be toohurt by itof course I'd have to put off some other purchases. I neverwill,though, for the simple fact that less expensive but no less accurate/durable alternatives are available for a lot less money.

I am not a huge fan of expensive but asthetically pleasing guns, be it fine glossy wood, engraving, superb bluing, or any such thing. I don't care if it's got an ugly olive drab colored synthetic stock as long as it is accurate and durable enough for my needs. Chances are something utilitarian like that can be bought or built for a lot less money than the expensive, pretty version of it.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:06 PM

The only rifle i would spend that kind of money on is my dream rifle which is either a semi-auto .50 cal bmg with high power scope, preferrably the Barret M187 model or the same model in .416.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm sure I'll look harder when the day draws closer that I'm in a position to actually make a .458 lott purchase, though I do see more african gun hunting in my future than say western hunting with a rifle. I've just prefer a bow for some reason I think the longer seasons/ easier tag draws etc...., and while some bow hunters seem to have the view they would only hunt an animal with a bow, when I think of africa, all I can picture is using a big rifle on dangerous game....maybe after ive been to africa and used a rifle my mind will change, but as of now I can forsee hunting africa more than once with a rifle.... so in a sense I can see spending more money on a big african rifle than say a .30-06 for here in the US.

I was just curious to see what others thought though, sometimes I wonder if I'm crazy to consider such a rifle/price but as stated earlier, I think you everyone has their vices....or save and spend on a few select items vs buying a bunch of junk, but never having a few nice items. And I totally understand the all i need is a rifle to perform, somethign about a big african rifle though I just envision gorgeous wood, along with awell performing rifle.

I saw a CZ 550 in .458 lott, even in a fancy grade, for about $2200, though I suspect there may be more of a mid range rifle between this CZ and say a Dakota. Though you take a look at the best and somehow you find yourself trying to justify it, ever had that problem? haha.

Any truth to high end rifles keeping/increasing their value more so than say a rem mod 700? Maybe it can be seen as an investment in that sense, any maybe more justifiable? haha, talk the wife into that one! a rifle is a better investment than that new home! haha.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

I wanted the Dakota bad but knew I would never go on the hunt after the purchase price. So i'm building my own with a Montana 1999 Barreled action and exhibition Walnut. I really enjoy woodworking and if I don't rush it I think I can pull off a heck of a job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.