Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 shotgun balance....? >

shotgun balance....?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shotgun balance....?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default shotgun balance....?

Ok, some of you have forgotten more about shotguns than I will ever know! I have googled this but I am still confused. Say I want a shotgun that is good on a swing for a fast moving bird like in a cornfield or over prairie grasses. What am I looking for in terms of balance?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shotgun balance....?

You'll want to look for a gun that is balanced more towards the rear, back near the receiver or wrist. Guns such as benellis, franchis and some of the new browning fusions and ultralight weight guns are balanced this way.

Guns such as 1100s, 1187s are balanced more towards the fore-end. This allows shooters the feel of being able to keep the gun moving. Its more like a baseball bat or a golf club, weighted at the end to promote gun movement. However they are not as quick to the target.

Personal preferences the whole lot of it.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

In addition to a more stock heavy balance point. Other attributes like a shorter barrel, shorter overall gun length, lighter weight, and a thinner forearm also make a gun point quicker.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot competitively for a number of years in trap skeet and sporting clays. I always preferred the weight of the gun to be between my hands. I didn't like it to be tooheavy on the front or on the back....