Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need a new Slug Gun >

Need a new Slug Gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need a new Slug Gun

Old 03-19-2008, 08:10 PM

Default RE: Need a new Slug Gun

H&R Ultraslug Hunter, 500 with rifled cantilever barrel, 870 with same setup as the 500. If you want to blow $2500 on a shotgun, the more power to ya, but i highly doubt its so much more accurate than my 500 with rifled barrel to pay $2200 more for it.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I dont believe you gain that much from a tar-hunt. I've heard of plenty H&R's, 870's, and Ithacas that will shoot just as good. I think the biggest advantage they have is fit and feel. These are custom built rifles, and I'm sure they are very comfortable to shoot. I cant see spending the money one. If you really want a bolt action slug gun, buy the Savage 210

How do you know the others will shoot as well?

Have any of you guys ever owned a tar-hunt? Or is this one of those, I have one, and want everyone else to buy one?

My un-educated guess is no one here has ever seen one never mind fired one
Old 03-20-2008, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Dcnoble_07

I'll tell you what is an absolute tackdriver. The new Ithaca Deerslayer III. I just went to a deer/turkey expo and bought one, shot it at 50, 100, 150, 200, and 235 yards and it was printing 3 inch groups out at 235 yards.. I know some people would complain about only getting 3 inch groups but thats amazing for a 12ga. at 235 yards. They retail for right around $1200 but they are definately worth every penny. If you go to Ithacagun.com they have a video of their tech's shooting it. Just a little input on trying to help make your decision
I am confused about this post. You say that you bought a Deerslayer III in this thread, but you posted in two other threads that you were considering one. So what is the truth?

As a matter of fact, the other two threads were posted AFTER this post.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:35 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

My un-educated guess is no one here has ever seen one never mind fired one
Never fired one, but have seen em in action at the range. Its a fine gun, no doubt, but 2K is hard to swallow.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never fired one, but have seen em in action at the range. Its a fine gun, no doubt, but 2K is hard to swallow
I remember when they sold for 1200 dollars..that would have been a great buy. I think they are owned by lightfield now and that probably explains the price increase. Those Abolt shotguns are probably as good but you can't find them for less then a grand + anymore
Old 03-20-2008, 08:14 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Never fired one, but have seen em in action at the range. Its a fine gun, no doubt, but 2K is hard to swallow
I remember when they sold for 1200 dollars..that would have been a great buy. I think they are owned by lightfield now and that probably explains the price increase. Those Abolt shotguns are probably as good but you can't find them for less then a grand + anymore
I have been looking for one for over a year, and usually they go for 2K too if NIB.

Man, I remember when noone wanted a A-bolt shotgun. That would have been a fine investment.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

Oh well, I guess we'll find out. A fool and his money......
BC and I will be shooting it soon, but for the cost of slugs these days he will have to buy his own ammo...
Old 03-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a Tar-Hunt in 12ga., the owner had her dialed in, just like I have my H&R Ultra in 20ga. There was no difference to spend all that money. After I shot both at 100yards and we both saw no difference, all I did was laugh, cause he just wasted alot of money
Old 03-20-2008, 01:19 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BOWHUNTERCOP

I shot a Tar-Hunt in 12ga., the owner had her dialed in, just like I have my H&R Ultra in 20ga. There was no difference to spend all that money. After I shot both at 100yards and we both saw no difference, all I did was laugh, cause he just wasted alot of money
So what we all should be aiming for with our beloved hobby of guns is spending the least amount of money possible to get the animal down? Not following you here.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Tar Hunt's are fine weapons. Some folks (myself included) just want something better, different or whatever. I'd buy one now but I now shoot rifles in KY and NY. No need for a slug thrower. BTW, there is an RSG-12 listed in the gun classifieds here.

Quick Reply: Need a new Slug Gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.