Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 buying a shotgun >

buying a shotgun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

buying a shotgun

Old 03-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Spike

Default buying a shotgun

im looking into buying a shotgun. i have rifles and im not newto guns but want to know what to look at in a shotgun. i know about barrel length, choke, and ammo. it will be primarily for large game and would like a pump action.

can i get some info on shotguns you use.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: buying a shotgun

If you want a pump, you can't go wrong with a Remington 870 or a Benelli Super Nova.

Not sure what you mean by "large game"....
Old 03-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess a counter question for you hog man is are you planning on slug gun hunting or running dogs and using buckshot.

There are good and better choices for each.

If you are slug gun hunting, I'd recommend you spring the money for a rifled and cantelieverd barrel. If you are still hunting, this is obviously the best route. Don't know where you are from, but if you are hunting hogs (per your handle) there is a good chance that you can use rifles for deer and hogs in your state.... so I'm going to assume option #2....

For buckshot, there are plenty of good shooting guns. I grew up shooting deer in front of hounds... buckshot was a way of life... I'd probably shot 5 or 6 deer with my 20 gauge as a kid before I shot my first one with a rifle. I'd hate to think about how many I've shot with buckshot now.... dozens....

My buckshot gun is an 870 Wingmaster Magnum that is older than me by a few years. Gunsmith put chokes in it for me when I was 11. I shoot an extended Modified choke tube made by Briley. Its marketed as a waterfowl choke, which is kinda my thing in hunting, but it so happens that is shoots buckshot like a dream. A good friend of mine uses his turkey gun to shoot buckshot with. Its a Mossberg 835, I have one myself, but its just a turkey gun for me. The 835 has an overbored barrel, that makes the patterns very dense and even. Most hunters over choke buckshot, which is a mistake. Every gun is different and you have to expirament with yours a bit to find what works the best. Another great pump gun for buckshot is the Browning BPS, which is back bored, and is known for some great patterns as well, and is one of the better pump guns currently being made.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:30 PM

You want one for a good price you can get a pardner pump. I have had my 12 Ga for about a year, killed a deer and a nice gobbler with it and won a skeet shoot. Will run you 220$ for a combo barrel.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:41 AM
Fork Horn

Rem 870 with 23" rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount. Put on a Nikon Prostaff 2-7x 33mm scope and your good to go. As far as slugs, try the Hornady SST's.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not know how much you want to spend, or what you want to hunt. But it is pretty tough to beat an 870 combo. Tom.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Spike

it will primarily be used for deer and hog (ya i can use a rifle for both but i want to try somthing new)
im going with buck shot not slugs(i have a rifle i dont need a notherone that looks like a shotgun )

after this will probably be a turkey gun.

them 870s,are they like a beginers gun or a gun that will take a lot of use and last a wile?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do not know how many shots you are going to shoot. But for the average shooter the 870 will last at least 3 or 4 lifetimes. If not a whole lot more. IMO the 870 is one of the best built firearms out there. Even when price is considered. Tom.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I do not know how many shots you are going to shoot. But for the average shooter the 870 will last at least 3 or 4 lifetimes. If not a whole lot more. IMO the 870 is one of the best built firearms out there. Even when price is considered. Tom.
+1 They are hard to beat.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Spike

what are your opinions on the Mossberg 590. besidesnot havine a changablechoke how are they.

Quick Reply: buying a shotgun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.