HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/236577-25-06-its-effectiveness-deer.html)

oldelkhunter 03-09-2008 04:05 PM

25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer

Maybe someone here can help me out. I have owned 3 25-06's in the last 38 years. One was my first scoped hunting rifle and I drilled a lot of groundhogs with that one just blew them up but I neverr hunted deer with it living in a shotgun only deer state. I bought a Remington 700 SPS 2 years ago and that was so poorly made that I sold it within a month of buying it to a gunsmith who needed the action for a project. 3 months back I purchased a browning Abolt in 25-06 and this is a spectacular gun , it shoots like very few rifles have that I have owned. My concern and I heard this from this gunsmith is the 25-06 and it's effectiveness on deer. I guess the words " It's not a deer dropper now" bothers me a bit. I killed one buck 7 years ago with a 25-06 that I borrowed from a friend, it was loaded with 100 grain sierras. It was an 8 point 180 lb deer hit thru the lungs and it dropped 50 yards later in the woods. It bounced off the ground and made a death run would be the visual explanation of the hit. Range about 170 yards or so. Has anyone used a 25-06 and extensively and if so what would you say is the effectiveness of this round. I like to pick my shots with deer and prefer the classic broadside but have taken raking shots with a magnum. I will probably use a 120 grain bullet .

BarnesX.308 03-09-2008 04:26 PM

RE: 25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer

Shot two doe and a buck of about 160lbs with one. Dropped in their tracks. I believe the bullets were Winchester PEP, either 117 or 120gr.

Now that there are all these premium bullets out there, you could load a 100gr premium bullet for even higher velocity.

The 25-06 is definitely adequate for deer. Just make sure you have a reasonably tough bullet and you'll be good to go.

salukipv1 03-09-2008 04:33 PM

Anyone know if the .25-06 is loaded down? Seems like compared to a .270 it would shoot faster than it does....someone stated that a .270 and a 6mm rem will do everything the .25-06 will only better in every category that mattered.

Personally saw my cousin drop a deer in place, thought the animal disapeared, was down in the sage brush before he reaquired the deer in his scope.

stalkingbear 03-09-2008 04:42 PM

Welcome to the a-bolt club oldelkhunter. The 25-06 with the proper bullets is awesome on whitetails and antelope. It's unusual for a hard hit deer to even make it 50 yards after being clobbered with a 25-06. P.S.-if you want to modify the safety so that you are able to operate bolt while on safe I'll be happy to walk you thru it-it's easy.

gunnermhr 03-09-2008 05:09 PM

I bought my 25-06 about 10 years ago. It is my primary choice forDeer season. I have my otherfavorite cal's that I like a lot but it is so hard for me to grab any other gun for the first few days of gun season. I don't know if it is the caliber as much as it is the gun but it is a winning combo for me. I have never had a deer get away once hit with the 25-06. Granted poor shot placement and they will get away even with a 50 Cal. but a 25-06 is way more than enough to kill a whitetail. 100 grain Sierra Game King works wonders.

SwampCollie 03-09-2008 05:21 PM

I have only shot one deer in my life with a 25-06, and it went down like a French prize fighter. I think I was shooting 117gr or 115gr (I don't know why 117 sticks out in my mind) soft point bullets. It was a big doe in western South Carolina. I was in college and borrowed the rifle from a friend of mine whose family farm we were hunting on. Gun shot extremely well. I'd certainly say that for any medium sized game the 25-06 will certainly do the job nicely.

oldelkhunter 03-09-2008 05:38 PM

P.S.-if you want to modify the safety so that you are able to operate bolt while on safe I'll be happy to walk you thru it-it's easy
I am not sure I need that feature but thanks for the offer though.;)

oldelkhunter 03-09-2008 05:41 PM

Anyone know if the .25-06 is loaded down? Seems like compared to a .270 it would shoot faster than it does....someone stated that a .270 and a 6mm rem will do everything the .25-06 will only better in every category that mattered.

As you go up one caliber at a time the same bullet will go faster usually about 100 fps 25-06 vs the 6mm or 243 is a perfect example. Some would say the 25-06 with a 120 grain bullet should do everything a 270 with a 130 will do except not have the frontal area. 270 is a dropper....I think the 6mm or 243 are not quite in the 25-06 range even though I have killed a lot of deer with either as have my friends. I am basing that on one deer I killed which based on the internet should be recorded fact.;)

Pavomesa 03-09-2008 06:02 PM

If the 250/3000 and the Roberts can do it (which they have been doing for a long time) I sort of think the 25/06 can play.

rem 700 03-09-2008 06:14 PM

Been using the 25-06 for a long time now. Couldn't ask for a better deer killer. A talented shooter could kill as far he could shoot with this round. Standard 120gr PSPs work great, and you'll have a hard time keeping a 115gr partition from passing through and creating serious damage. 117gr BTSPs will fly flat and accurate for long distance shooting, and 100gr bulletsare perfect for antelope.I'd say average range here is around 200yds, no complaints. Also use mine at much closer range when hunting in areas that offer those shots, and at longer range when needed. I know several guys that prefer this cartridge for the relatively open-landscape of western nebraska for its abilities at extended ranges (up to about500 yard kills on occasion...not that I suggest that).

Rammer 03-09-2008 06:25 PM

I've seen probably a handful of deer shot with a 25-06, and I have yet to see it anchor a deer in its tracks.

This year is the first time I've ever personally used a quarter bore. My 25wssm didn't drop a deer dead in its tracks either.

My 243 always drops 'em dead in there tracks, and my 7mm Rem Mag (rifle of choice), really knocks 'em dead.

oldelkhunter 03-09-2008 06:43 PM

I've seen probably a handful of deer shot with a 25-06, and I have yet to see it anchor a deer in its tracks.

This year is the first time I've ever personally used a quarter bore. My 25wssm didn't drop a deer dead in its tracks either.

My 243 always drops 'em dead in there tracks, and my 7mm Rem Mag (rifle of choice), really knocks 'em dead. [align=right]
[/align]
Well in all fairness not many cartridges do but I have had a pretty good sucess rate of DRT's using 308,30-06,270 and 7 mags..everything else they run.

VAhuntr 03-09-2008 07:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Rammer

My 243 always drops 'em dead in there tracks, and my 7mm Rem Mag (rifle of choice), really knocks 'em dead.

OK gotta ask, what's the difference in "dead in their tracks" and "really knocks 'em dead?"[8D][8D]

Back to the original question....Shot a doe this past season at 125 yards and she ran about 30 yards. No problem tracking as the 117 grainSierra Game King opened up some pretty nice holes.

mello_collins 03-09-2008 08:14 PM

I have shot several deer with my 25-06. Some droped right there, some not. None made it more than 30-40 yards though. That compares the same as my brothers 300wm. So, I think it is a very good deer cartidge.

Rammer 03-09-2008 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

OK gotta ask, what's the difference in "dead in their tracks" and "really knocks 'em dead?"[8D][8D]

Back to the original question....Shot a doe this past season at 125 yards and she ran about 30 yards. No problem tracking as the 117 grainSierra Game King opened up some pretty nice holes.
Really knocks 'em dead, is when they get picked up off their feet a few inches, and shoved back about 10 yards. ;)

skeeter 7MM 03-09-2008 09:01 PM

My first "good buck" came at the hands ofa 2506 rem and 115gr partition, anchored him to the snow with a punch right on through both shoulders and the bullet exited. By good I mean a mature saskatchewan buck with a 150 class rack and 300# frame. I thinkthe gunsmith you mention must have gotten his infoto my hunting buddiesat time as well, they somehow talked me out of using the 2506 for deer:eek:. Since thenI have actually learnedthe 2506 rem is a perfectly suited deer cartridge, having seen numerous deer shot with it and other 1/4 bores. Couple it with Nosler part, Barnes TSX or similar and you can take all the raking shots you desire on deer sized game. If longer range is your usage model the 110 ABmay be thecandy you choose. Good bullet selection for the reloader as well. What can I say i like it!

270win vs. 2506rem both capable. I own both currently and ifthe 2506rem was in a LH action I'd pick it over the 270win actually. I see absolutely nothing wrong with a 115gr nosler partition at 30-31K.

SwampCollie 03-09-2008 09:04 PM

Really knocks 'em dead, is when they get picked up off their feet a few inches, and shoved back about 10 yards. ;)
The cartridge I have ever seen do that to a deer is a 350. Notice where the decmial is.... its a period. Thats a 350 under the hood of a Chevy Silvarado truck.

There is no bullet coming from a shoulder fired sporting gun that will physically "knock" a deer up off its feet, and certainly not back ten yards. How a deer reacts to getting hit by a 3000fps+ bullet might well have him end up ten yards back.... but the bullet didn't carry him there like the hammer of thor....

As to deer dropping on the spot, I don't have total figures over the years, but I'd suspect that a 30/30 Ackley has been responsible for more no-tracking jobs than any other cartridge for me. Followed by a 30/06, 7-08 and as of late the .204. But that is all about bullet placement. If you shot a deer in the can with a .470 I suspect he'd go a right fair piece.... or you could drill him just right with a 6mm and his back legs will fold up and he will lay down like a kitten for you.

whitetaildreamer 03-09-2008 11:10 PM

I've a good buddy that uses a 25-06 with great success. I would believe it would be no different than any other deer gun with the right shot placement.

eldeguello 03-10-2008 05:03 AM

"It's not a deer dropper now"
There is NO cartridge on earth that can be fired from the shoulder that will drop a deer, or any other game animal, with one shot EVERY TIME. In this regard, the .250 Savage and the .257 Roberts both have been considered very good deer cartridges for almost 100 years now. The .25/'06 is even better. I had one, a Ruger No. 1V. Using handloaded ammo with the Sierra 117-grain bullet at a MV of over 3000 FPS, it dropped deer as fast as any cartridge I have yet used. I sold that rifle, but I really like the .25/'06 (and the .270 Win., as well!). The .25/'06 is one of thegreat cartridges!

Now does it stand to reason that a rifle firing a bigger bullet at a higher velocity (.25/'06 vs .243 Win.) is going to be less effective on game than the smaller, slower one? Give me a break! You cannot judge the relative merit of a cartridge by what happens in a couple of instances! Such results are "not statistically significant"........ shot placement is still THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR.

Retaks 03-10-2008 05:14 AM

If everyone says a 243 is a great deer cartridge then why wouldnt a 25-06? With both of the cartridges you will have to select the right bullet for the job but the 25-06 has more power then a 243. So why would the 25-06 be that much less of an good deer rifle?

Rammer 03-10-2008 06:19 AM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

"It's not a deer dropper now"
There is NO cartridge on earth that can be fired from the shoulder that will drop a deer, or any other game animal, with one shot EVERY TIME. In this regard, the .250 Savage and the .257 Roberts both have been considered very good deer cartridges for almost 100 years now. The .25/'06 is even better. I had one, a Ruger No. 1V. Using handloaded ammo with the Sierra 117-grain bullet at a MV of over 3000 FPS, it dropped deer as fast as any cartridge I have yet used. I sold that rifle, but I really like the .25/'06 (and the .270 Win., as well!). The .25/'06 is one of thegreat cartridges!

Now does it stand to reason that a rifle firing a bigger bullet at a higher velocity (.25/'06 vs .243 Win.) is going to be less effective on game than the smaller, slower one? Give me a break! You cannot judge the relative merit of a cartridge by what happens in a couple of instances! Such results are "not statistically significant"........ shot placement is still THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR.
The shot placement is the same. I've shot probably close to 50 some odd deer with my 243, and only 1 ever took its last step, I think he managed to go about 10 feet maybe. I shot 6 deer with my 25WSSM with 115gr Combined Technology BTs this fall/winter, and they all went at least 50 yards before expiring. My 243 was shooting 95gr Combined Technology BTs, all loads are home rolled by me. I don't know what the deal is, but I have yet to see a quarter bore drop a deer dead in its tracks.

stalkingbear 03-10-2008 08:03 AM

Looks like rammer has been watching too many movies:D:D:D:D:D. Seriously,the bullet don't do it,the musclar reflexes do that.

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

oldelkhunter 03-10-2008 08:07 AM

Ok so pretty much everyone says it is a winner and I agree. I have been looking up bullets 120 grain to be specific and one bullet really stood out , it is probably not very popular but it has great SD and BC and its performance is unquestioned. Swift A frame 120 grainer...I think I will play with a run of the mill 120 grain bullet(Hornady) and practice practice practice this offseason and work up a hunting load for theaframe. No use fiirng expensive bullets into a sandbank.

oldelkhunter 03-10-2008 08:09 AM

Looks like rammer has been watching too many movies:D:D:D:D:D. Seriously,the bullet don't do it,the musclar reflexes do that.

Oh don't be hard on Rammer he is probably still getting over the Perazzi engraving post;)

bugsNbows 03-10-2008 09:36 AM

I'm a loyal 25-06 fan. Plenty much for deer. As always, shot placement is critical. BTW, I've got a 52M Cooper on order in that very caliber. No way I'm dropping that kind of change on an ineffective killer.

SouthDakotaHunter 03-10-2008 10:54 AM

25-06 is a great deer caliber! I don't have one currently, but used them on many occasions in the past without any incident.

Rammer 03-10-2008 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Oh don't be hard on Rammer he is probably still getting over the Perazzi engraving post;)
How'd you know I was still getting over that....;)

Thats what I like about this forum, good group of guys to BS.

Speaking of BS, I think you may get a kick out of this thread oldelk....

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=52788838&page=0& amp;fpart=1&vc=1&nt=2

oldelkhunter 03-10-2008 11:32 AM

Lot's of Koolaid drinkers there as well I see and to think I almost bought one a few months ago. Did you like all the Sako inferences? Sako owns the company and supplies them with the barrels. That is about it.

zrexpilot 03-10-2008 12:05 PM

I have used the .243 for 30 yrs and its 10 times better than the 25-06
Just kidding. I dont think a deer will know the difference between a .243-25-06 and a .270, and about 10 other calibers in that class. They are very close in performance.30 yrs of killing deer with all sorts of calibers has led me to believe this.

eldeguello 03-10-2008 03:34 PM

Ok so pretty much everyone says it is a winner and I agree. I have been looking up bullets 120 grain to be specific and one bullet really stood out , it is probably not very popular but it has great SD and BC and its performance is unquestioned. Swift A frame 120 grainer...I think I will play with a run of the mill 120 grain bullet(Hornady) and practice practice practice this offseason and work up a hunting load for theaframe. No use fiirng expensive bullets into a sandbank.
I might select that 120-grain A-Frame if I were planning on shooting elk or moose with the .25/'06. I don't think even the biggest mulie on the Jicarilla Apache reservation would need that much of a premium bullet. The 115 gr. Nosler Partition would do it!

Rammer 03-10-2008 05:34 PM

Lot's of Koolaid drinkers there as well I see and to think I almost bought one a few months ago. Did you like all the Sako inferences? Sako owns the company and supplies them with the barrels. That is about it.
Yeah I gave up trying on that thread. I have more rounds thru a Tikka barrel than many many many people out there. I'd be willing to bet I am in a small percentage of shooters that has put 4k thru a Tikka barrel. That one guy kept calling me a liar, and how he is shooting .184" groups consistently. There is only so much BS that can go around before someone needs to throw the Bull**** Flag. :D

DANTHEHUNTER 03-10-2008 08:25 PM

Anyone who doubts this round has never shot one.

Pioneer2 03-11-2008 12:18 PM

Works fine on elk,black bear and moose as well with premium handloaded bullets of course! Harold

HEAD0001 03-11-2008 12:35 PM

The round is adequate for deer. But definitely not nominal. If you are not recoil shy then why shoot the son when you can shoot the dad(30-06). The recoil from a hot 120 grain pill is not going to be very different than a load from a 150 grain 30-06. There is more recoil difference form the type of firearm used, rather than the difference between the caliber's.

IMO the better cartridge is the 260 Remington. It is better because it is a short action round, so for a hunting rifle you can carry a lighter rifle. Since the 25-06 is still a long action-hence heavier rifle.

Recoil is a function of rifle design, rifle weight, and whether it is ported or not. A heavier cartridge can have less recoil in the properly prepared rifle. So why handicap yourself with a long action rifle when a 30-06 clearly does a better job.

Also with the heavier cartridges there is no need to spend ridiculous amounts of money on "A Frame" bullets. Just to shoot a deer. Not necessary.

I hope no one brings up the trajectory bit. You either know your rifle and how to shoot it, or you do not. a few inches of drop are not going to make a big difference. A 165 grain bullet in a 30-06 is deadly on deer with no hold over or under out to 300 yards. If you shoot past 300 yards then you better know your rifle. And if you are shooting over 300 yards then I would definitely recommend the heavier bullets. Tom.

SwampCollie 03-11-2008 12:41 PM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I hope no one brings up the trajectory bit. You either know your rifle and how to shoot it, or you do not. a few inches of drop are not going to make a big difference. A 165 grain bullet in a 30-06 is deadly on deer with no hold over or under out to 300 yards. If you shoot past 300 yards then you better know your rifle. And if you are shooting over 300 yards then I would definitely recommend the heavier bullets. Tom.
The plain and simple fact of the matter is that I'd wager a fair 75% of the deer (and that maybe conservitive) shot in this country and Canada are taken at ranges under 200 yards. Some of you guys out west certainly do shoot a lot of deer at ranges greater than that, but a lot of you also have magnum rifles you use for big game hunting. Most of the whitetails in the this country that get shot with rifles get shot in the south, which is the land of long seasons, liberal bag limits and super thick swamps. The amount of hunters who think they need a super lazer flat trajectory to shoot deer inside 200 yards (and the # of hunters who think 200 yards is "long range shooting") really blows my mind.

oldelkhunter 03-11-2008 01:48 PM

The round is adequate for deer. But definitely not nominal. If you are not recoil shy then why shoot the son when you can shoot the dad(30-06). The recoil from a hot 120 grain pill is not going to be very different than a load from a 150 grain 30-06. There is more recoil difference form the type of firearm used, rather than the difference between the caliber's.

We are going to have toagree to disagree there ...I can't even fathom how light the recoil is on a 25-06 . My longest 2 shots are 200 yards and 170 yards on a whitetail deer.I'll bet most average 30 yards or even less as I am predominately a woods hunter .My longest shot on a mule deer was 350 yards. It's also a dual duty coyote rifle and I can't imagine hunting coyotes with a 30-06

Pavomesa 03-11-2008 10:20 PM

Hunting coyotes with 30/06?? What's hard to believe about that? Tell me all the animals that haven't been hunted successfully by the 30/06? I've shot several coyotes with /06...some at considerable range. Loaded with some of the lighter bullets, the /06 is both fast and flat...favored requirements of a coyote rifle. And Lord knows the /06 is deadly when it arrives. This is something the lighter and more traditional varmint rifles can't always boast.

I never use the word "can't" in a sentence with 30/06. It's the poster child for the "Can Do" rifle.:)

HEAD0001 03-11-2008 11:42 PM

We are going to have toagree to disagree there ...I can't even fathom how light the recoil is on a 25-06 . My longest 2 shots are 200 yards and 170 yards on a whitetail deer.I'll bet most average 30 yards or even less as I am predominately a woods hunter .My longest shot on a mule deer was 350 yards. It's also a dual duty coyote rifle and I can't imagine hunting coyotes with a 30-06

If we did not disagree then it would not be any fun. I did not even mention the 125 grain pill in the 30-06. And I just do not believe there is a lot of recoil difference, especially if you shoot the 125 from the 30-06, and the 120 grain pill in the 25-06.

And as far as Coyote's is concerned, I thought the post was about deer??? And I would also think that the 30-06 is a better pelt rifle??? If compared to the 25-06. I know a few pelt hunter's who like the larger caliber's for collecting pelt's. I would think a 25-06 would tear a pelt up??? Tom.

skeeter 7MM 03-12-2008 12:07 AM

The 2506 is a great double duty rifle for coyotes and deer. Personally wouldn't change itor feel out done by the3006.

As far as the 3006 you may or may not get the 125 to shoot worth a damn in your rifle. Just b/c they offer the bullet doesn't mean you can use it. I know a lot of 3006 lovers here and everywhere. WhileI agree it's a good cartridge its not a love mine and I see no need to ever own another frankly. Thanks for the case but I'll neck it differently :D.

oldelkhunter 03-12-2008 07:22 AM

Hunting coyotes with 30/06?? What's hard to believe about that? Tell me all the animals that haven't been hunted successfully by the 30/06? I've shot several coyotes with /06...some at considerable range. Loaded with some of the lighter bullets, the /06 is both fast and flat...favored requirements of a coyote rifle. And Lord knows the /06 is deadly when it arrives. This is something the lighter and more traditional varmint rifles can't always boast.
You can use whatever you want on a Coyote but I will take the light recoiling flat shooting cartridge anytime.. A lot of 30-06's do not like anything lighter then a 150 and I found that out to be fact even though loading manuals are filled with info about them but the twist rate on most 30-06 barrels calls for a 150 grain or more bullet for best accuracy. Heck if I want a flat shooting 30 for coyotes I'll use my 300 mags.