Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Bolt Action Accuracy >

Bolt Action Accuracy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bolt Action Accuracy

Old 03-04-2008, 05:03 PM

Default Bolt Action Accuracy

Would someone be able to provide a brief explanation as to why the bolt action is more accurate than all of the other actions?
Old 03-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bolt Action Accuracy

Because you have a one piece stock which gives you a more stable platform for the barrel and breech...You can free float or add pressure points to the stock to change barrel harmonics...You can also piller bead or glass bead the action...The trigger is adjustable for creep, over travel and pull...

Is this enough or do you need more???
Old 03-04-2008, 05:36 PM

hawk, I understand your basic explanation. I think I understand why the bolt is the most accurate, but can you provide more detail on thethe physics of this concept? If I'm thinking correctly, the bolt action is the most accurate because there is no movement in the gunonce the bullet is fired. It isa somewhat difficult concept to explain.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: dean790

hawk, I understand your basic explanation. I think I understand why the bolt is the most accurate, but can you provide more detail on thethe physics of this concept? If I'm thinking correctly, the bolt action is the most accurate because there is no movement in the gunonce the bullet is fired. It isa somewhat difficult concept to explain.
That's exactly it. From the time the hammer drops/striker strikes the primer the only movement of the gunis the gun recoiling. In a semi-auto the bolt cycling is added movement, and unless it moves the exact same way every time it will has the potential to move the gun differently from the last shot. That's not to say there aren't accurate semi's, but generally you can get an accurate bolt gun for much cheaper. Also nchawkeye is correst that the one piece stock supporting the actionis more stable than a lever actions 2 piece stock with the reciever essentially supporting itself between them.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Typical Buck

Simply put, there is a solid barrel to action connection which is strong enough that the weight of the barrel and action can be held at a single point. Usually the action is held which isolates the barrel from being held when shooting. By not over constraining(sorry bending) the barrel and/or action, it can provide the best platform for consistency. The 2 lug bolt is also not overconstrained in theory, but the sear's upward pressure slightly violates this. On a Savage, with a floating head, it is properly constrained. The way bench rest actions get around this is ultra precise machining minimizing this bending.

On a practical side, they tend to balance well. They tend to balance just under or just forward of the recoil lug with a scope. They also tend to have trigger pulls which require relatively low sear force, so the trigger pull can be more easily tuned or designed in the case of a raw factory rifle. Also, the sling doesn't pull on the barrel. If you are pulling the sling tight to hold the rifle on target, there is no pressure put on the barrel.

Ammunition fit is also better in a bolt action rifle. In general, you can make tighter fitting ammo for a bolt rifle, because the extractor's are more robust and there is more force available to feed and lock the bolt. On a semi-auto, usually small base dies are required which makes the ammo loose in the chamber. Even a break open single shot, cannot be easily forced closed like a bolt can. I have measured cases where the case was being crushed a few thousandths of an inch when closing the bolt. You couldn't tell. That would have jammed an AR and upset a Ruger #1 owner.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

cjwink noted this on another thread relating to the same thing, and it was my understanding as well.

"Just a thought.. But you don't see target rifles in Lever Action, pump or semi autos for a reason. They are inheirently less acurate due to the trigger pull they have. They have to have a harder trigger to keep from firing again after the reload of the shell. Bolts are more accurate, more reliable and in my opion astecically more pleasing.. So don't rule them out.."
Old 03-06-2008, 02:33 PM
bigcountry

In my humble opinion, most opinions are wrong. the bolt is about repeatability and consistency.The boltputs even pressure on the cartridge, and is consistent round after round, as the lockup is right behind thebrass. Where a lever, lockup is before the bolt. Where a breakopen,can have inconsistent pressure behind the brass due to its lockup is not even.

The bolt also can have consistent pressure on the barrel,or consistentno pressure on the barrel,where the lever, pump, or break open you cannot.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

fewer moving parts, and more importantly, fewer things dangling off the barrel vibrating and resonating.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: kmunny19

cjwink noted this on another thread relating to the same thing, and it was my understanding as well.

"Just a thought.. But you don't see target rifles in Lever Action, pump or semi autos for a reason. They are inheirently less acurate due to the trigger pull they have. They have to have a harder trigger to keep from firing again after the reload of the shell. Bolts are more accurate, more reliable and in my opion astecically more pleasing.. So don't rule them out.."
Yes I did say that.. But I didn't think of all the other thinks above.. I like by bolts even more now..
Old 03-07-2008, 01:36 PM

I honestly don't think it matters. I have seen very accurate guns in any type of action and really innacurate guns in every action. I think it boils down to a bolt action is probably cheaper to produce so you end up with a better made gun for the money. And most bolt actions have better triggers which helps a little.

For the average shooter with a quality weapon I don't think it matters, any action has the capability of being accurate.

I think a lot of AR shooters would argue the semi auto target rifle part.

Technically a single action break open should be the most accurate.

Paul

Quick Reply: Bolt Action Accuracy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.