Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What's the difference? M16 vs. AR-15 >

What's the difference? M16 vs. AR-15

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What's the difference? M16 vs. AR-15

Old 03-03-2008, 10:13 AM

Default RE: What's the difference? M16 vs. AR-15

ORIGINAL: DuckJunkie

Im going to side with M77man If want to smoke somebody....controlled pair or failure drill.

burst just wastes ammo.

IF you want to surpress/kill the enemyby means of a high volume of firepoweruse a SAW better yet a 240 or M2.
ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

ORIGINAL: M77man
It's semi-auto or with the flip of a small switch becomes a 3 round burst (which is worthless).
I wouldn't call the 3-round burst worthless. Its puts 3 rounds into the chest of the enemy much more accurately then full auto. I'll take 3 shots in a 4 inch target with one trigger pull than 3 shots in a 2 inch target with 3 trigger pulls. JMHO
And how is the M249, M2, and M240 not a waste of ammunition!?!? Especially the M249 in a standing or kneeling position? I beleive they teach you in basic to use short 5-10 round bursts out of those, not only because it keeps the barrel cool but its also more accurate. I'll take the 3 round burst of the M-16A2 over full auto of the AK. But we shall agree to disagree
Old 03-03-2008, 12:37 PM

I wouldn't call the 3-round burst worthless. Its puts 3 rounds into the chest of the enemy much more accurately then full auto. I'll take 3 shots in a 4 inch target with one trigger pull than 3 shots in a 2 inch target with 3 trigger pulls. JMHO
I agree. You can suppress the enemy with 3-round bursts and conserve ammo at the same time. Unlike video games there aren't ammo boxes laying around to replenish your supply. I recall reading that a soldier might carry 200 - 250 rounds, that won't last long blasting through iton full auto. Doubtful that anyone is sticking their head up in the second or two between bursts. Watching videos of troops shooting M16 full auto you get the feeling that by the 5th round they're hitting tree-tops or are otherwise way off target.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

the thing with full auto is when you nee dlead down range you need alot of lead down range be it a 2 inch group or a 2 foot group
i think that is why there is little to no reason for a person to have a full auto or even a 3 round burst

we as civilans do not need to go out and shoot at a group of people
But with that side i support peoples want or right to own these weapons
Old 03-06-2008, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

heh, ok john wayne...I guess 11Bravos dont know what there talking about.

ORIGINAL: DuckJunkie

Im going to side with M77man If want to smoke somebody....controlled pair or failure drill.

burst just wastes ammo.

IF you want to surpress/kill the enemyby means of a high volume of firepoweruse a SAW better yet a 240 or M2.

ORIGINAL: M77man
It's semi-auto or with the flip of a small switch becomes a 3 round burst (which is worthless).
And how is the M249, M2, and M240 not a waste of ammunition!?!? Especially the M249 in a standing or kneeling position? I beleive they teach you in basic to use short 5-10 round bursts out of those, not only because it keeps the barrel cool but its also more accurate. I'll take the 3 round burst of the M-16A2 over full auto of the AK. But we shall agree to disagree
Old 03-12-2008, 05:45 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

If you've ever handled full auto weaponry, then you would understand the value of a burst selector. I'll take the burst over unlimited full auto any day, as I find myself trying to make controlled bursts with manual trigger control. The problem is a lot of rounds get thru fast even when you try your hardest.