Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Gun Bows Up! >

Gun Bows Up!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Bows Up!

Old 01-19-2002, 02:15 PM
Spike

Default Gun Bows Up!

A former employee of mine was injured this morning when a two-year-old straight pull Mauser in 7mm Remington Mag blew apart at the receiver for no apparent reason.

When he bought the rifle, I told him I did not trust the locking system because it seemed to me that it could suffer from inadaquate partial lock-up. He assured me that it would not fire unless it was completly locked up.

This morning, he fired a factory load out of a vice with no problem to check zero. Being dead on at 100 yards, he removed it from the vice to shoot off hand. This is when it exploded. The factory case was split and the bullet exited the barrel with no apparent problem. The bolt blew back and was stopped from causing serious facial injury by the release catch. The real damage came underneath the rifle where the magazine blew out of the bottom and splintered the stock. This is where the injury occured. The shooters hands and forearms were burned, lacerated and filled with splinters -- painful, but it could have been a lot worse.

He's taking the gun to the dealer who sold it to him, who, I am sure, will send it back to the factory. I warned him that this is where the buck passing will start with the dealer blaming the factory, the factory blaming the ammo and everybody blaming the shooter.

Anybody else heard of problems with straight pull bolt actions?
Old 01-19-2002, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun Bows Up!

Wow! That is horrible to hear. Thank God he was not more seriously injured (eyes). What model was this Mauser??? what caliber and style?? I hope he gets not only a new gun but fair settlement for his injuries and pain. I don't mean that he should be trying for milions of $$ 9although I know it happens every day) but c'mon, they owe him a lot more than a rifle and a couple $$$.

Please let us know the model gun it was. This could be the front end info on a recall.
Old 01-19-2002, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure glad it wasn't worse.He could have had the bolt imbedded in his forehead or lost his eye sight.Let us know what happens . Ruger Redhawk
Old 01-19-2002, 04:09 PM
Spike

It's called the M-96 Mauser and it is no longer imported because Americans never took to the straight pull design. It came in most standard and magnum calibers and was advertised to be the strongest locking system in the world. It is the basically the same locking system as the much touted Blauser rifle, but it sold for around $400 (where the Blauser sells for around $1500).

Like I said, I never trusted it -- looks like for good reason!
Old 01-20-2002, 01:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

GA did your friend give the gun to the dealer . They could say anything they want if he no longer has the gun .He should have got legal advise first I believe .
Old 01-20-2002, 06:23 AM

I hope he gets better.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:02 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-20-2002, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

I'm not sure of all models but have heard that Mausers are designed for the older, lower pressure type rounds. Why would someone want to pick a Mauser with or rebarrel to a high pressure round is beyond me and basically firting with disaster. 7mm mag, 270, 308 and many others all operate at too high a pressure to work safely in the Mauser actions. They may be real sweet and economical but that's why I wouldn't even consider one. I don't like that kind of surprise but I am hoping the shooter recovers well from his injury.
Now as far as a lawsuit, a 7mm mag is not a factory Mauser is it? It sounds like a choice the shooter made to have built for him. Therefore may be his own fault. I just don't know the whole story so am only guessing. He'll also have a hard time convincing a jury he was using factory rounds if he reloads. All in all not a good situation to be in.
Old 01-20-2002, 11:09 AM
Spike

Billy,

This is a NEW rifle. It is not a sporterized military gun. Mauser is still in business and manufacturing sporting arms in Germany. This gun was manufactured as a 7mm mag. In fact, their regular bolt action safari rifle is one of the highest quality rifles on the market. Why they decided to experiment with this straight pull crap is beyond me.
Old 01-20-2002, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

billyb are you kidding? If you are speaking of old mauser rifles, they are probably the strongest and safest action ever made. The new mauser 96 actions may be considered strong, but they obviosusly cannot safely divert escaping gas and don't have a safty lug like the the old bolt actions. I have old mausers that shoot 160 gr bullets at right around 3000 fps- just as powerful if not more so than 'modern' rounds like .308 and .270.
As far as the 96 goes, I've seen an example of one, and didn't really care for it myself at least from a styling standpoint.

Quick Reply: Gun Bows Up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.