Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 who owns a Savage smokeless >

who owns a Savage smokeless

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

who owns a Savage smokeless

Old 02-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: who owns a Savage smokeless

Cool thanks I will (am)checki(ng) these out!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a friend who has one, and loves it. Good luck.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have one, its a hoot to shoot. I bought one just because I wanted something different& new to tinker with. I don't take the approach they are any different then the inlines of today, individual components placed/loaded from muzzle to breech to createthe boom. The only difference is the propellant options which include smokeless powder as well as real BP or subs. Lets be honest not to much about today's inlines is close to what we had even 10 years ago much less comparing them to the ML's of yeatser years.Savage are just like other ML's I own tempermental, quirky and require consistency in practices (loading, maint., etc). I have shot plenty of great groups withthe savagebut I also have shot some pretty ugly groups as well with seemingly nothing altered between the good group sessions. Sounds just like my other 2 inlines I have currently and quite frankly every inline I have ever owned - gonic, white, TC..so on. Putting smokeless powder has not changed a lot of things for me and I am not selling off my others b/c I have a Savage now either. In fact I am going to add another to my collection that will not be a smokeless shooter. Why just b/c i want something different& new to tinker with.

Its a good gun, built well and shoots. However it wouldn't be a gun I'd suggest to a first time ML buyer - more to know and less sources to help. Even more soif your not familar with reloading.Little more complicated then it may appear.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

I have 2 savages now,have had 4 since they came out.I love shooting the savage off the bench as well as hunting.I like to think after many many years of shooting sidelocks and reg inlines that the savage is a up grade.I don't understand why it bothers some why others shot something different in a muzzleloader.Have only used the savage for the last 5 years for hunting and have taken 2 to 4 deer per year from 50 to 234yds.Thats only a drop in the bucket compared to the ones I have taken with sidelocks and reg inlines over the last 40 or so years.
I don't even own a sidelock anymore but still have a few reg muzzleloaders.If you compare how the savage and the reg ones shoot at 100 yds theres really not much difference in group sizes,you just get a face full of smoke and have to clean it after a range session,with the savage you don't get the smoke and don't have to worry about cleaning it afterwards but I clean it the same after each range session.
I belong to a hunt club some use sidelocks,some reg inlines and some savages they all get deer year after year,So as long as one or the other satisfies your interest why should it matter what someone else uses.
A comparison with my knight and encore at 100 yds and the savage at 100yds.Last 2 are my best groups at 300 with the savage.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:14 AM

I was talking to a guy last week that thought my Savage just wasn't a true muzzle loader. So where do you draw the line? No inlines, no scopes, no sabots, etc.? We could all go to flintlocks or even matchlocks for that matter.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:17 AM
bigcountry

I want one but thier prices have gone way up. I want one because i love to tinker. But I prefer to use a sidelock TC I have

Old 02-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't understand why it bothers some why others shot something different in a muzzleloader.
I told the original poster to use the Blackpowder forums. I think they (Savage muzzleloaders) barely qualify as muzzleloaders but you can say pretty much0the same for most modern inlines but the Savage has a little bit of a range improvement then do most inlines that burn 777..
Old 02-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

I told the original poster to use the Blackpowder forums.

-sorry.. I am just a button buck fawn, don't shoot!
Old 02-29-2008, 11:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I want one but thier prices have gone way up. I want one because i love to tinker. But I prefer to use a sidelock TC I have
Wowthey have held in most modelsand in the case of the laminate/SS actually dropped a few bucks up here with the release of the TH version.Gun's in Canada aren't usually cheap the 10II is comparable in pricing to the Omega, etc (500 - 750 for TH) and less then the Encore(starts around 700). I bought my NIB SS/tupperware for $450 out the door which was a deal, typically fetch 550-599.