Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .270 Bullet questions >

.270 Bullet questions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.270 Bullet questions

Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default .270 Bullet questions

Here is my delema. Bullets are now fairly expensive. Last season was my very first season with my Rem 700 chambered in .270. The gun shot great on targets with core-lockt ammo in 130gr.

2nd day of buck season in WV i had an 8pt walk out that i shot at. Bullet hit the animal low and virtually fragmented and disintegratedall through the chest cavity. 1 entrance hole with no bullet expansion basically. The animal ran approx 200yrds until it finally expired. A kill non the less, but at 80yrdsit shouldnt have been that bad on him...It was not a quick death...

Ive decided to dump the cheap ammo and search for something better from Federal, Winchester, or Hornaday and figured since ther seem to be alot of .270 owners here, i would just kinda see what kind of response i would get asking about some successful bullet types in 130gr.here. I pretty much hunt thick woods and rarely need to take a shot over 100yrds.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .270 Bullet questions

I don't think it was the bullets fault, I would lean towards shot placement...
Old 02-25-2008, 10:48 AM

Yea that sounds alot like bad shot placement to me. My dad has used the 150gr Remington Core Lokts for over 25 years and has had the same thing happen with bad placement. Ive had it happen with a good shot using Winchester Ballistic Silvertips out of my old 30-06. Just because the deer dosnt drop in its tracks dosnt mean the bullet didnt work right.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

when I first bought my NE Arms hadi rifle-.270- I tried a number of 130 and 140 grain loads, manufacurers. I settled on the 130gr because of accuracy. I have taken a number of buck/bear with it in the Adirondacks, and all have been 1 shot, quick dispatch.

IMHO, there is nothing wrong with the 130gr that placement won't fix!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

You really don't need premium bullets for deer, as they are not that tough to kill. Any standard soft point will do. I use the$12.00 per box Federal 'Power Shock' ammo in .30-06 150 grn. Last fall I shot a 260 pound buck at the base of the neck approximatley 60 yards away, and he was dead before he hit the ground. The .270 and .30-06 are very close in ballistics. Like said before, good shot placement is the key.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bullet hit the animal low and virtually fragmented and disintegratedall through the chest cavity. 1 entrance hole with no bullet expansion basically.
Typo??? You meantno pentration right?

I agree the bullet is most likely not the problem it was placement. 130/277 bullet at relatively close range was moving beyond the design limts of the bullet, add to that the resistance met by bone structurecausedit to over expand, frag and reduce pentration. However you never said exactly where the hit, just low so I assumed it was near the brisket which offers substantial resistance.I have seen far more shooter failures then bullets...based on the info given it seemed like a good assumption.

FWIW I have actually seen 2 corelokt potential failuresboth came apartand afiled to penetrate.1 was a 3006 150gr on a whitetail buck, & the other was 338wm 225gr on a spike bull elk. Both animals were recovered but they did manage to make us dig out the tracking skills. I say potential as I wasn't the shooter, so only went on the guys who relayed the story and evidence in form of the carcasses. In regards to the elk it certainly appeared that the bullet deflected which indicatesmay nothave been asbroadside as the shooter remembers. The other it looked like he had been hitt by a sledgehammer - pretty sure this deer was perfectly broadside and a bullet failure occurred. Neither were really close and the only bonetouched was entrance side ribs.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

probaly wasnt a perfect shot....still looking for just a little more quality round for the 270. Bullet did penetrate, but did not expand or exit...went in and probaly caught a rib due to the angle i took the shotand just broke apart. Needless to say i was not pleased...lol

Probaly right i could have waited longer to get a better shot, but sometimes those guys with horns dont like to stick around...Regaurdless i shot a doe the following day and blew a hole right through her with the corelockt ammo. Which is why i was so discouraged about the shot on the buck...The doe droped dead immediatly. Maybe it was just one bad bullet....or maybe it was me...id rather blame myself than the bullet which is why im searching for some better bullets...lol
Old 02-25-2008, 01:10 PM

I forgot to add that my first deer with a rifle was with a 243 and it dropped in its tracks with only hitting one lung. My next deer was witha 30-06 and it had a great shot that took out both lungs and the heart and it ran about 300 yards. Dont think because the deer didnt drop in its tracks the bullet didnt work right.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

IMO its was NOT a shot placement problem. A rifle should be a any shot any time weapon, its not a bow. Light jacketed or ballistic tip bullets can come apart on bone hits at high velocity. I'll take any shot with my 270 but a texas heart shot, and it just because I dont want to deal with the mess. Try any of the bonded bullets. Personally I like the 130g interbond light mag(hornandy) ammo , accubond is another good choice, barnes triple shock, federal trophy bonded. Any of these bullets and you can take any shot at any angle at any velocity.

The problem with ballistic tip bullets is that they are too soft for close range shots, If your max range is 100 yards, then you have no business using them in a 270. If you smack a deer with one at over 3000 fps, well you have seen the results. A stouter bullet would be a much better choice for your situation. The ballistic tip bullets may put the deer down a little quicker, and you may get a few more bang flops, but the other side of the coin is a exploding bullet on close up shots.

I'm not saying you dont have to hit the vitals with these bullets, you still have to do your part. What they allow you to do is not worry about hitting a shoulder if the deer is quartering toward you, or not worry about a exploding flesh wound if the animal is 50 yards away.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

For shots under 200 yards you can't beat the 150gr corelokt round nose, it will expand fast on deer and it has a very heavy shank so it will not shed its core. Same for the Federal and Hornady 150gr round nose bullets.
I have been using hornady 150gr spirepoint and have been very happy with them. You do not need premium bullets for deer but if you do the 140gr partition or accubond is what I would use. Do not buy non bonded boattail bullets for your close in shooting. Also the bearclaw in 130gr-140gr will work great to.

I am very suprised the 130 core lokt did not hold together. All the old Round nosed Corelokt of any caliber are of a different design than the pointed ones lots exposed lead at the nose with scalloped edges and very heavy shanks.

Quick Reply: .270 Bullet questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.