HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Ruger77 W/tang safety Vs.M77 MKII (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/234416-ruger77-w-tang-safety-vs-m77-mkii.html)

jeepkid 02-25-2008 04:57 PM

RE: Ruger77 W/tang safety Vs.M77 MKII

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: Ed Lacy

What's the difference between the older Rugers with the tang safety and the newer model M77 MKII? Are the older ones still an okay gun or should I just get the newer one? Can the new three position safety be put on the older guns?
Thanks.
Ed
There are more differences than just different safeties. Despite having a Mauser-like extractor, the tang-safety Model 77's are "push feed" in which the extractor does NOT grip the cartridge until the bolt is closed. Consequently, if you "short-stroke" one, you will end up with two cartridges trying to get into the chamber at the same time, which is a real jam that is aslow, PITA to clear. The Mark II's are genuine controlled-round feed rifles. This type of a jam can't happen with one of the Mk II's. However, such considerations are only of real concern in a dangerous-game rifle.

I don't think you can easily retro-fit a Mark II Ruger 3-position trigger & safety (they go together) onto the older tang safety model. However, I personally prefer the a safety that sits on the top of the tang, where it SHOULD BE! There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the older, tang-safety Model 77's. As a matter of fact, the ones made in the later 1960's and early 1970's seem to have better classic stock lines than some of the later ones, which more often closelyresemble clubs!

ALL Ruger Model 77's have proven to be VERY TOUGH and RELIABLE rifles that do well in horrible environments, like coastal Alaska or extreme cold.
It can be done, but not easily or cheaply. It was $350 or so when I checked. Gentry Gunsmithing does them. For the price, I can live with the tang safety on my thumbhole :D.

oldelkhunter 02-25-2008 05:55 PM

What's the difference between the 3-position safety on the Ruger and the one on the Winchester?
And thanks to all who answered
First of all the physical location of safety is different , the Ruger safety bar is mounted into the reciever. The arc on swinging it is longer then the arc on a model 70 and harder to use. The safety "wing" is small as well. The safety on the Model 70 is part of the bolt shroud and has a shorter arc and a larger "wing". The Ruger MK II physically locks the "wing" into a notch on the cocking piece.

eldeguello 02-26-2008 09:16 AM

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Eldegullo-while I agree with you on dangerous game rifles,controlled feed rifles are overhyped on regular rifles for deer/elk/etc. I've NEVER seen anybody short stroke a rifle in the field OR on the range. I don't consider push feed to be of any disadvantage on most rifles.
Absolutely correct!! I never had any problems with my tang-safety M77's or Remingtons......

bobfm10350 02-26-2008 03:52 PM

One thing i noticed in my older ruger was that it had a claw like mauser extractor.

30/40Govt. 02-26-2008 06:14 PM

I don't like tang safety Rugers. Iengine turnedthe bolt on a buddy's and I personally think the bolt design is a nasty conglomeration of every bad design idea used by other manufacturers. The striker is a rem 700 style, requiring adime/nickle and ahardpiece of steel in aviceto take the tension offand remove. They should have used a model 70 style witha striker detent built in. I didn't care for the bolt release, I found it awkward and clumsy compareda m70 or rem 700.Its got aclaw extractor, but it is not set up tocontrolfeed. Its got a button ejector, should have gone with a fixed orsemi-fixed, given theclaw extractor. The fit of the extractor and band on the specimenI jeweled was atrocious,they were waaay too tight, andwere a pita to disassemble and reassemble compared to any m70 or Mauser I've ever touched, and they madethe bolt bind.

Suffice to say, I wasn't impressed, and I wouldent own a tang safety model. The Mark II's are a different ball of wax altogether, I haven't had one apart, but the ones I've handled seem to address some of my main issues.