Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Best .300 magnum? >

Best .300 magnum?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best .300 magnum?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Best .300 magnum?

Not mad at all bigbulls, just responding,
I know. Just kiddin around.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I ownan SPS in a 2506 rem, it may notwin theprettiest contest but it handles well and shoots like a damn. If my pretty weatherby shot anywhere close to how it shoots i'd probably still own it. .

A shooting friend of mine bought a pair of weatherby vangaurds "Roy edition" the desert stock with blue barrel...I think don't think they are to pretty either but that is just my opinion. Being a Howa they shoot/function well. His beef is cost and availability of wby brass (especially the .257).He doesn't want to make his own cases, prefering to have the proper headstamp on the cartridge.So instead gets"Bent Over" []! Something wby owners are accustom too though.

As far as the best 300 for the vast majority of hunters the likes of 300 or 300wsm is more then enough. From my perspective I like the 300 wm better due to its ability to handle larger for caliber bullets better.

For those who need and can handle the powder burners the 300 RUM would be my pick as it is at least reasonably priced forthe performance upgrade and finding components or ammo (god forbit if you don't reload these supercharged 300's) is more readily available and won't require a second mortage to shoot enough to be able to benefit. Though like mentioned the RUMs are a reloader cartridge and IMO not even worth considering if you don't reload.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I think guys more than ever are obsessed with the flattest shooting rifle.....I think if people knew how their cartridge shot at a given distance, they wouldn't need a flat shooting cartridge. I don't mind compensating for a round, I remember a while back a guy said just point and shoot, or was talking about, being dead on at 200, and at 400yds being like a few inch difference, cant recall the specifics but he was way off on the drop of his bullet. Guess though if you dont know range, a flatter shot will help you, but i tend to know range, and bullet drop, and drop that bullet right on target.
Well my ugly (in your Eyes) shoots pretty darn good. Remington 700xcr. I like the inserts in the stock.It all comes down to personal preference.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Skeeter? Your weatherby doesn't shoot well? anywhere close to your SPS?

Swampcollie I'm going to buy a .330 dakota, shoot it, and raffle it off on here, haha. I'm sure it's agreat round, just wish it was more readily available. Maybe weatherby should take it over.....haha.

Just saw hornady has a .338 and .300 RCM based on the .375 Ruger, but shortened and in .338 and .308, not sure we need a 300 short mag again, but here's a short .338 short mag and is not the .338 federal which doesn't count! haha. Hope the .338 RCM doesn't beat the .340wby, might have to buy one then.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Swampcollie I'm going to buy a .330 dakota, shoot it, and raffle it off on here, haha. I'm sure it's agreat round, just wish it was more readily available. Maybe weatherby should take it over.....haha.
You'd do no such thing. I'm tell ya bro.... once you shoot that thing you'll put down that horse pistol .340 Wby for good. She is one mean machine!
Old 02-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Typical Buck

I kind of partial to the 300 WSM after having the 270 WSM..
Old 02-20-2008, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

Best for What? There all good, I think? I have a couple and like them all. Heck I couldn't even say which one I like the best. Long range target shooting I like my 300WSM Longe range hunting I'm pretty partial to my 300 Tomahawk which is a 300 RUM Improved shooting a 240SMK at 2990fps. 300 Weatherby is a good dual purpose target and hunting. And how can you forget the 300 Win Mag. Shoot, everbody ought to have a couple 300 Mags laying around.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

"Best" depends upon what you're going to hunt with it.

I think for any big game in North America, as side from possibly dangerous game, .300 WM has proved its to be one of the most versital and widely accepted magnum .300 ever introduced for that purpose. It also has been around long enough and many hunters use so that you have a pretty wide selection of factory ammunition to chose from. From my own experience hunting Elk with the .300 WM Tikka T3, I'm thoroughly convinced I don't need another rifle for that purpose or if I were to hunt moose or caribou in Canada, that would be my choice.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Skeeter? Your weatherby doesn't shoot well? anywhere close to your SPS?
I HAD a 300 wby and yes the SPS shoots much better then it ever did. It wasn't that the wby was terrible, I just expect better then an ave. of 1.5-2" groups at 100 yards! I bought the SPS(which is chambered in a 25-06 rem) as a starter rifle for up and comers in the fold. The price was right and fit the bill, so I figured what the heck i'll give it a go. So far no regrets. Well actually I have one Remington doesn't offer the SPS in LH version.Being a southpaw if they did offer such a beast I'd buyitstwin for myself.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

ME TOO.

Quick Reply: Best .300 magnum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.