Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what next

Old 02-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default what next

I am open to suggestions. Shot my .223 handi-rifle for the first time this weekend and the shots were all over the target.Would shoot once and the next shot would impact 12 inces away. Next shot mabe 16 inches. Shot some 62 grain bonded SP, some FMJ, unknown grain and some boattail HP, unknown grain. The first thing I did was check the base and rings, everything tight. Scope came off one of my muzzleloaders and was working fine. What should I do next.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what next

I once shot a H&R rifle that did the very same thing. There was no problem with my scope. For some reason, and I do not know why??? My rifle had a chamber so long that I could not even get the bullet out to the lands. The throat was LOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG. I did not measure the exact jump the bullet had to make, but it was way too far. I got rid of the rifle pretty quick. The entire chamber was sloppy. If it was SAAMI spec. then it was at their most liberal specs.

I had one dealer tell me that H&R did that because a lot of people were shooting the ultra cheap military ammo. H&R wanted to make sure all ammo will fit inthe chamber.Tom.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are shooting ammo of unknown grains... then that may well be your issue... your ammo.

But 12" groups... I'm guessing at 100 yards... heck ammo can't fix that.

Either something in the gun has come loose, your scope is broken, your not as good a shot as you think you are (take that with salt its a joke ), or you just need to sell that joker.

I think you have a right of redress with H&R if thats all she's got. I'd try some different ammo, recheck everything again, maybe bring the gun to a gunsmith and have him check everything out.. and shoot her one more time.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Typical Buck

I dont know the twist of that rifle,I shoot a ruger M77 compact that will group under an inch at 100 yards with 45 to 55 grainers it has a 1 in 12" twist,I can shoot a 72grainer at 50 yards and if it hits a 14"x14" target it hits it sideways.I tried these heavy bullets for my 8 year old daughter to deer hunt with but we would be better off throwing the bullets at a deer.This was done with a rifle that I know is pretty accurate.I have owned a couple of those guns in the past and usually they are accurate,try some 45grain bullets the one I had loved the cheap UMC 45grainers I've killed groundhogs with it up to a ranged 350yards off of sandbags.(NEF bull barreled 223,UMC 45grn,nikon range finder,simmons6x24x44scope)