Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 cleaning 12 gauge problems >

cleaning 12 gauge problems

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

cleaning 12 gauge problems

Old 02-15-2008, 04:26 PM

Default cleaning 12 gauge problems

i have a mossberg 500 and a real old winchester model 12. they are both 12 gauges. i got a cleaning kit to clean them with (hoppes cleaning kit i believe) and i followed the directions but they dont make much sense and i put the patches down the barrel (one soaked in stuff) and icould not get one to come out clean. i used awhole pack of them, but still not clean. i dont know what's going on????.................also 2 more things..........i was shooting clay pigeons today and the pumps on them were very stiff and some rounds got jammed also and also how do i keep the guns in good condition? on the outside and inside?
any help is greatly appreciated because this one is real important
thanks
Old 02-15-2008, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cleaning 12 gauge problems

The easiest think I can tell you to do with older very dirty firearms is to take them to a gunsmith and have them professionally cleaned.

Also, if the pumps are "sticking" that could be one of two issues, one being a lot of fouling in the action due to WD-40 or whatever being used instead of proper lubricant. Or B, you might have some shells that are not quite jiving with your gun and are hanging up in the chamber. This usually means you have rust in the chamber. Both situations, and in my experience 90% of issues with pump guns or heck almost any gun comes down to proper cleaning.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:02 PM

I use a bore snake on my shotguns before doing a proper cleaning. It helps reduce the ammount of patches i use.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:26 AM

Did your kit come with a bore brush? A bore brush will help a lot with getting that stuck on stuff out and if there is some slight rust will scrub it right off, and then after you run a bore brush through several times run your patches through.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:36 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

The easiest think I can tell you to do with older very dirty firearms is to take them to a gunsmith and have them professionally cleaned.

Also, if the pumps are "sticking" that could be one of two issues, one being a lot of fouling in the action due to WD-40 or whatever being used instead of proper lubricant. Or B, you might have some shells that are not quite jiving with your gun and are hanging up in the chamber. This usually means you have rust in the chamber. Both situations, and in my experience 90% of issues with pump guns or heck almost any gun comes down to proper cleaning.
no i use hoppes number 9 stuff.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Destructo

Did your kit come with a bore brush? A bore brush will help a lot with getting that stuck on stuff out and if there is some slight rust will scrub it right off, and then after you run a bore brush through several times run your patches through.
yeah it came with a bore brush but said not to use it until use patches
Old 02-16-2008, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

no i use hoppes number 9 stuff.
how much will it cost to do this?

Old 02-16-2008, 12:38 PM

this might sound like a stupid question but how exactly do you clean your 12 gauge pumps?
Old 02-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Mossbergman11,

How far are you from Cincinnati? I have a shop 1 hour away from Cinci. I would be gald to help if I can? e-mail me at [email protected]
Old 02-16-2008, 01:07 PM

Well i take mine apart. Its a Mossberg 835 so ill explain how i do this gun(the same as Mossberg pump shotguns). I take the barrel off, then push out the pin that holdes the trigger assembly in. Then there will be that should fall off the sides. These are the pieces that hold the shells in the tube on the bottom. then i will open the chmber and remove another peiece of metal that is on the bottom of the bolt assembly(IM not sure is actual name but hopefully you understand what im talking about). Then the forearm will pull off the tube of the shotguna nd the bolt assmebly will be able to come out of the chamber by pushing it out towards where the barrel should be. If you would like pics i can get them for you. I hoe this helps. I knwo im not good with the names of things!

Quick Reply: cleaning 12 gauge problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.