Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 stocks and accuracy... >

stocks and accuracy...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

stocks and accuracy...

Old 02-14-2008, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default stocks and accuracy...

one day, i plan to restock my m700 SPS varmint...dont know when i'll get around to it, but like to iron out details, make wish lists and learn about stuff for my own knowledge...

i really like these stocks...

http://rifle-stocks.com/tactical.htm

or

http://rifle-stocks.com/tactical_thumbhole.htm

the gun is used for groundhogs mostly out to 350 so far, but wanna keep going on out there...usually shot off a harris bipod sitting or prone or set in bags sitting or prone...love my accuracy and sending the bullet where i wanted it to go...just dont know what stock configuration is more accurate, if either of them...the thumb hole or the bench rest style grip...is either way more accurate/consistant trigger pull than the other??

also, what things can/should be done to accurize the rifle if/when i get the stock? bedding? floating? etc etc...

bought the rifle as a right now varmint rig, but in the back of my head i knew it would be nothing but an action as time goes on...trigger is first on the list..then stock...then by that time i aughta be happy or ready to rebarrel it...

thanx for the info...just dont know if either stock style is more accurate that the other and what to do to the stock before putting the rifle in it..
Old 02-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: stocks and accuracy...

Either style will give you a more comfortable grip, myself, I prefer a thumbhole just due to the looks!. Bedding the actionand floatting the barrel channel will aid in accuracy, the trigger is definatly a must!. I would take care of those things befor I decided to change the barrel, I have a Rem. BDL in 25-06 that shoots sub moa with the factory barrel, no point in changeing it until it gets shot out!.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

mauser06
WHY NEW TRIGGER AND STOCK???

The trigger on a 700 rem will adjust down very well for hunting around 3 lbs and crisp
and for the stock just glass bed and free float the one you have. til you are ready to
rebarrel it then get a new stock that's contouredfor that barrel.

just my 2 cents

Old 02-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

devil dog, barrel will be a longggg ways away...figure sometime after the trigger and stock is done, the 22-250 will be kinda...boring lol...but really, doubt the barrel goes anytime in the next 10 years...i could always have it rebored and rechambered if i wanted and had a stock built around it..

rem, a factory remington trigger wont compete to a Jewel...forgot to mention that one day i might shoot some target shoots with it and see if i like the bench rest stuff...just rather build a fully functional hunting rifle and then see if i like amature BR shooting with it...3lbs and crisp is great for your typical rifle and hunting...but id rather have it lower...and have no problem having a 1-1.5lb trigger or maybe even lighter for my long range hunting...the rifle is hardly carried, and shot only in fair weather...no gloves or anything...and shoot under pretty ideal conditions that i dont see a saftey factor going pretty light...

thanx for the info guys....i dont know much about this stuff...except i like to reach out there and touch my targets from a comfy position lol
Old 02-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Going on what you say you want to do with itI would go with this instead of the "tactical" styles.
Top is their prone/ culbertson style and bottom is their Thumbhole target style.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx bigbulls...they would be better thinking about it now..would sit in bags better i think...
Old 02-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mauser06

one day, i plan to restock my m700 SPS varmint...dont know when i'll get around to it, but like to iron out details, make wish lists and learn about stuff for my own knowledge...

i really like these stocks...

http://rifle-stocks.com/tactical.htm

or

http://rifle-stocks.com/tactical_thumbhole.htm

the gun is used for groundhogs mostly out to 350 so far, but wanna keep going on out there...usually shot off a harris bipod sitting or prone or set in bags sitting or prone...love my accuracy and sending the bullet where i wanted it to go...just dont know what stock configuration is more accurate, if either of them...the thumb hole or the bench rest style grip...is either way more accurate/consistant trigger pull than the other??

also, what things can/should be done to accurize the rifle if/when i get the stock? bedding? floating? etc etc...

bought the rifle as a right now varmint rig, but in the back of my head i knew it would be nothing but an action as time goes on...trigger is first on the list..then stock...then by that time i aughta be happy or ready to rebarrel it...

thanx for the info...just dont know if either stock style is more accurate that the other and what to do to the stock before putting the rifle in it..
Accuracy does depend a great deal on how your rifle is stocked. But NOT on the STYLE, but on how well the barreled action is bedded into the stock. And bedding for accuracy can vary from one rifle to the next, even if the barreled actions are identical in every way.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx eldeguello...that was the real question...i didnt know if one was more accurate than the other on the bench due to hand position/trigger pull etc...guess it will come down to personal preference weather or not i go with a thumbhole...i like the looks, but honestly out of the 1000 guns ive handled, i dont think ive put my hand on a thumbhole....will do before i get around to ordering the stock...