Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help needed with iron sights >

Help needed with iron sights

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help needed with iron sights

Old 02-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Spike

Default Help needed with iron sights

I must be getting old...Noticed that the front sight on my CZ 550 FS "disappears" in low light, so I am turning to you guys for help. I am thinking that some kind of fluoroscent paint applied to the front sight would help me see it when its starting to get dark.

I do not want to change the front sights.

What type, brand, color etc paint have you used successfully? Where can I buy this type of paint?

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Help needed with iron sights

Hate to break it to you...Somewhere between 40-50 your eyes won't dialate above 4mm...You will loose some low light vision, even with a scope...

I'm 52 and I believe I've lost about 5-6 minutes of hunting light the last few years...

On my flintlock, I paint the tip of the front sight with white enamel paint, you can get it from a hobby shop or even at Lowes in the appliance area (for touchup)...
Old 02-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Spike

Hawkeye, I am 47...Thanks for the advice
Old 02-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ushunter,
Is your rear sight an open notch? Express blades? A peep? If you are not using a peep as the rear set-up onyour open sights I'd consider changing to a peep if I were you. If you are alreadyusing a peep in the rear then the previous advice is the way to go.......... White enamel paint, but use the bright white. And you don't need a huge blob, apply it with a toothpick and make sure the front blade or bead is absolutely degreased and bone dry. After you think it's really clean and dry give it a dose of acetone, wipe it off with a clean dry rag,and then paint it with the toothpick/enamel.
In my 30's and 40's I used a bright brass oversized bead on the front blade ... but I've added the white enamel to most guns that sport the iron sights only. I'm 54 and the "night vision" is leaving me a little more each year.
That's why I use scops on most every gun that I take into the woods for an early morning or evening sit.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Spike

8mm/06,
The rear sights are open notch. I can see (no pun intended) the benefits with peep sight, have to give that some thought.

Meanwhile, I'll try the white enamel paint, see if that will help. Thanks on the advice regarding cleaning!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

get one of those 1,000,000 candle power lights, extend that low light conditions! they have vitamins specifically to slow the aging of the eye.....someting to consider to keep what you have.....
Old 02-15-2008, 02:42 PM

A peep sight will make your problems worse UNLESS you get an apperature with a large hole. The smaller the hole in the peep, the quicker everything turns to fuzz in low light. All of them I've had, I ended up drilling the hole out about 3x the standard diameter. Helps a lot!

But if it's your front sight getting hard to see, maybe you just need to visit your eye doctor for a check-up. Nothing wrong with you but you may be needing glasses or an adjustement to glasses you may already wear.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Spike

I am wearing glasses and been thinking lately going the Lasik route.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:51 AM

If that front sight is a dovetail fit, I'd look into replacing it with one of the fiberoptics available. (Not sure who makes a front sight for CZ) My personal fav's are the Williams fiber optic sights. Also, their rear peep is perfect because it has the small apperture for regular light, and it can be unscrewed to remove it and give you a much larger rear peep for low light.
Then, depending on your local regs, there's always the laser pointer! (lol)
Old 02-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pavomesa

A peep sight will make your problems worse UNLESS you get an apperature with a large hole.
Good point when it is fading light, ...
But any decent peep set-up has interchangeble discs with a wide array of aperture sizes. When hunting with a peep and facing the final hour of light, I usually take out my disk leaving me with basically a ghost ring.
Without a doubt, irons are inferior to glass, but a good peep is the best iron sight going unless you are hunting thick woods and must make shots on moving game......
But if you've made the decision to go with irons instead of glass a peep is good, and the large aperture at dusk is your choice... and on an overcast day or in the fading light of the final hour or so, removing the disc entirely can give you a decent line-up system with basically a ghost ring set-up. I have used this in dark swamps at dusk with success on shots as far as 60 yards. I know that's not a long distance, but in the swamps oftenI hunt it is about as long as it can get!

Quick Reply: Help needed with iron sights

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.