Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotguns with rifle barrel new addition >

Shotguns with rifle barrel new addition

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotguns with rifle barrel new addition

Old 02-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Shotguns with rifle barrel new addition

I have finally given in to the realization that a shotgun with a rifled barrel will be a worthwhile addition to the arsenal.It will also give me an added season for WD in a few other states. I have looked at a few at the local ganders and can't make up my mind. If you had to pick between the ones I have listed below what would be the reasons for your selection. Actually the Tarhunt would be at the top of the list as Bigcountry suggested but it is way too much money . I would also like to be able to buy a ventilated barrel in the future for it and if I bought a Benelli and had to add 400 it would make it too much as well. I want to stay under 1000 for this one.

[ol][*]Remington 870[*]Remington 11-87[*]Browning BPS[*]Browning Gold[*]Beretta Xtrema 2[*]Ithaca Model 37/87[*]Any other ideas[/ol]
Old 02-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotguns with rifle barrel new addition

Remington 1187, reason being that is the one I own you have listed. I also have a Mossberg 500 that shoots just as well. And a 870 but with a smooth slug barrel and rifle sites.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

My choices are:

Savage (not sure the model) bolt action, Marlin model 512, Mossberg bolt action (not sure the model), in that order. Browning makes a bolt action too, but they are more expensive. I think these are all out of production,except maybe the Savage. You should be able to find them used or on the internet.

These would be dedicated deer guns, can't switch to a shot barrel.

After that, you're talking pumps or single shots.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

If I were going to get a slug gunI would get a dedicated slug gun. One of the bolts listed above if you can find one or a NEF ultra slug hunter and the new Ithica deer slayer III looks very interesting. Most of the dedicated slug guns are going to have a much thicker, heavier, and stiffer barrel which will be permanently attached to the receiver making them much more apt to be more accurate.

Of the ones you listed it would be the Beretta. But you said the price was an issue with the Benelli. The extreme 2 is right there with it in price.

Another one to look at is the Benelli Super Nova. In a pump this would be my choice.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Of the ones you listed it would be the Beretta. But you said the price was an issue with the Benelli. The extreme 2 is right there with it in price.
Actually I can get the Xtrema 2 on closeout with a rifled barrel for 799.00 and it has KO. I just don't anyone that has one and has used it with slugs.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Actually I can get the Xtrema 2 on closeout with a rifled barrel for 799.00 and it has KO. I just don't anyone that has one and has used it with slugs.

That is one heck of a deal. I know BPS has it for $899. That gun with a vent rib in black sells at a lot of places for $1400 or more. All depends where you go. A vent rib barrel will probably run you another $350 or so.... but it will be the easiest on your shoulder. I've shot the Xtrema 2 bird guns, but not the slug guns. Can't imagine they wouldn't shoot very well... and they will be easy to shoot as well, as the KO does take a fair amount of recoil out of the equation.

The other great deal is the Ultra Slug hunter for $250.... can't beat that with a stick... and they shoot extremely well.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:39 PM
bigcountry

I know you are going to scream. But what about the bolt savage? I have seen them to be accurate. But some not. Also H&R's are hit and miss. I have seen some where I offered the guy full price and then some, and he didn't accept and some I know people that has struggled.

Another option is a used A-Bolt.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another option is a used A-Bolt.
That would be a winner but I saw one on Gunsamerica for 1995.If I could find someone that could validate the xtrema 2 shooting slugs I would probably just buy that shotgun. It doesn't have the threaded barrel and tight lockup of a bolt or model 37 but the tang on that barrel is very long and has to make the barrel ultra stable. I hope I don't talk myself into the Xtrema 2

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=91714400
Old 02-14-2008, 12:53 PM
bigcountry

Another option is to have tarhunt work over a 870 slug gun. Not as expensive as thier bolt, and I hear very accurate. I have not seen one myself.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Another option is to have tarhunt work over a 870 slug gun. Not as expensive as thier bolt, and I hear very accurate. I have not seen one myself.
Hmmm did not know they did that..I'llhave to look at their site when I get home

Quick Reply: Shotguns with rifle barrel new addition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.