Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Comparison of rifles? >

Comparison of rifles?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Comparison of rifles?

Old 02-13-2008, 06:16 AM

Default Comparison of rifles?

I wanted to get a little feedback. I just joined a new club and they have an excellent rifle range setup (vs my old club which was almost non-existent) so I’m thinking about getting another rifle (I already have a nice 7mm Mag that can be used for about anything in NA & SA except big bears) for shooting at the club that won’t break the bank or my shoulder. It may also end up being used for some local deer hunting by myself or my son. I have been looking around and picked out the following that have wood stocks - because I like the feel:

Weatherby Vanguard Sporter in 7mm-08 because of the price and I like the 24” barrel.

CZUSA 550 American in 6.5x55 SE. Price seems reasonable for a Mauser action and I have a CZ Woodcock shotgun and like it.

Savage Model 14 American Classic in 7mm-08 because I read a lot of good things about their accuracy and they look good.

I might also go and look around at a few used guns before I buy but I wanted to find out who has had experience with more than one of these and can give me some comparison information – more so than me just holding the gun and working the action, which I have done on each of these?

One last thing, I may get into reloading for the rifle, as I reload shot shells, but haven’t made that decision as of yet.

Thanks,
Old 02-13-2008, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Comparison of rifles?

If I'm reading your post right you want this rifle for plinking? I'd consider a .308. There is lots of mili surp ammo out there than can be had for a very low cost.

Tom
Old 02-13-2008, 06:26 AM

I have to agree about the 308. Mild Recoil, easily available ammo, can kill most animals in NA witht he right bullet. As for the gun ive never shtoa Weather Vanguard but i know the Weatherby Mark V rifles are great rifles but my choice out fo them 3 would be CZ, Then either The Savage or the Weatherby. Also have you looked at Tikas? They have one of the best triggers i have found out fo the box.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

[ol][*]Weatherby Vanguard[*]CZ 550[*]Savage[/ol]
Would be the order of my preference. Out of the 3 the Weatherby has the best overall atrributes. The CZ is a bear to scope and limits your scope selection especially if the scope has a large ocular an example would be a Zeiss Conquest or the New Nikon Monarchs. The Savage well it is overpriced for a Savage. I would get it in 7-08,308 or 270 would be great cartridges to select from.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:41 AM

Is the 308 recoil that much less than the 7mm Mag? I haven't shot one in 30 yrs so I don't have much for comparison. I like the availability of the ammo and have liked the 308 since I was a boy so I may give that caliber a thought but originally thought it was so close to the 7mm that I would drop down some.

As for the Tikka T3 isa nice gun but I believeit is more expensive and I don't want to put much money in this gun and incurr the rath of the Mrs. Also, my son hasa 6-7 year oldTikka Hunter Laminate SS in 7mm Mag and Ithink it is great but it is a slightlyheavier piece and I like that extra weight.Icould look around for an olderused Tikka Hunter.

Anyone else used any of the three rifles mentioned earlier and have any pros or cons they wish to share?
Old 02-13-2008, 08:02 AM

I would compare the recoil of a 308 to that of a 270. As for your 7mm Mag i would compare that to a 30-06. Here is a chart of recoil of different rifles.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

As for the Tikka being more expansive i know it is less then a CZ. I got a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless for $600. I could have got a Reguler Tikka T3 Hunter for $500. I believe the Savage is in the $400-$500 range and the Weatherby is also. Even the T3 Hunter is a light gun.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

You already have a high power in 7mm Mag (28 Cal).. I would go for something smaller.. Say the 243... It is great for whitetail and had low recoil for your son and has a good availability of ammo.. I have a weatherby vangard VGL with a short barrell and love it.. It is 20 plus years old now.. But look at the Rem Model 7 or Ruger Compact.. You will really like the short action and easy handeling of the shorter firearm.. I have the Ruger Compact in 7mm08 and love it..
Old 02-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Fork Horn

I think the 7mm08 is the most versatile gun out there. i have one its great. I have killed just about everything with it here in PA. I would recommend Rem 7mm08 in 700 cdl. My dad loved my gun so much he bought one for him self it was a savage. He loves it. His also has an accu trigger. Great buy. he only paid lik 300 at the most for it new. 7mmo8 has a .308 casing with a 270 bullet. Great caliber- less kick than a 270-at least with my gun. Super light- great walking gun. Buy it- you will be happy
Old 02-13-2008, 10:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds to me like you are looking for a fun gun. It also sounds like you are looking for a good looking rifle as well as something functional??? I am like you and I like nice wood also. If I were you I would take my time and keep shopping until you found a rifle with the wood on it that you want. Shopping for a rifle can be a lot of fun. Cartridge choice is surely subjective. You have a magnum. If you want to shoot a good bit I would look at a 223 Remington. Although a 308 Winchester is also a great idea. Tom.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mikepsu54

I think the 7mm08 is the most versatile gun out there. i have one its great. I have killed just about everything with it here in PA. I would recommend Rem 7mm08 in 700 cdl. My dad loved my gun so much he bought one for him self it was a savage. He loves it. His also has an accu trigger. Great buy. he only paid lik 300 at the most for it new. 7mmo8 has a .308 casing with a 270 bullet. Great caliber- less kick than a 270-at least with my gun. Super light- great walking gun. Buy it- you will be happy
Actually the 7mm 08 is a .308 win case neck down to a .284 cal bullet (not a .277). The same call bullets as used in his 7mm rem mag. I agree it has less kick then a .270 though.

I like the 7mm 08 rem better then .308 win personally. It is a joy to shoot, easy to reload(if you take it up in the future- may add same cal. bullet used as your son/yours 7mm rem mag), accurate and will handle everything the .308 would in NA.

However since you want a plinker/deer cartridge and may not reload, could consider the .25-06rem(if not opposed to another long action cartridge)! Easy shooting,accurate, target/varmit/deer cartridge.

As far as rifles, best to shoulder them and pick the one that fits/feels the best.
However if it were me of those listed :
Wby Vanguard/Howa
Savage
CZ 550 (not a fan ofmauser style actions and scope mounting as previously mentioned)

I agree with you on the feel of wood. However food for thoughtI picked up a Rem 700 SPS blue/syth this year in a 25-06rem. NIB it cost me under 500(in canada[])and it shot right out of the box. I lightened the trigger to 3lbs pull and shoots even better. If it were only a LH action it just maybe my new deer rifle[&:]. I bought it for the up and comers in the fold.

Quick Reply: Comparison of rifles?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.