Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun for 8year old >

Gun for 8year old

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun for 8year old

Old 02-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default Gun for 8year old

whats a good gun for an 8 year hold to hunt everything with? Deer,turkey,rabbit,etc.? should I go single shot or pump?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:20 PM

Default RE: Gun for 8year old

Umm ....... This is a hard one. I would say a 22lr. You could hunt most things with it. Im not sure how much recoil the person could handle at 8 years old to be shooting deer or turkeys. You could also try a 20 gauge. I woudl go for a semi auto for someone that young. It still might have too much recoil. You dont want the recoil to hurt them. They could decide they dont like just because the gun hurts them when they shoot it.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

For a youngster just starting out I reccomend a single shot .22 to start out with. They are usually light in weight and can be had in youth models. They is also good as a trainer as the single shotis very simplistic and IMHO safer for the beginners than other types of actions. Let the lad learn the basics of the gun and firearm saftey and then proceed to a shotgun or CF rifle. Key manufacturing makes the Cricket, Henry makes a small .22 , CZ makesthem. as does Marlin and others.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:46 PM

I killed my first 6 deer (the first when I was 9), nearly every rabbit I ever killed, and a few turkeys with an 870 Express Youth Model 20 gauge. It's light enough I can hold it out with one hand and shoot it with small shot. My dad's actually got caught with his pants down and done that. Funny story. Killed the rabbit too. A .22 would make a better first gun, but it's definitely not a deer gun, and questionable as a turkey gun for somebody inexperienced if it's even legal where he lives. My 870 will drop a deer at 50 yards with #3 Buckshot, and will blow a squirrel out of just about any tree around here with #4 fine shot.

That being said you know your kid better than anybody here. My dad started me with a single shot Stevens 20 gauge and stayed real close, cause he felt it was better not having the extra stuff to worry about (pumping, push button safety, etc...) that the pump has on it when I was learning. After my first year with the single shot squirrel, and deer hunting (never got a shot at a deer) my dad felt I was ready for the pump, and that's what every shotgun I have had since has been. I've never had a problem with recoil, and personally would not want to have to deal with the extra problems associated withsemi's such as not cycling if not held exactly right, and jamming while also trying to teach somebody new to shooting how to shoot.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

At 8 I would put him in a gas operated semi-auto. True they are a bit more expensive, but you get your moneys worth. Most single shots KICK. A lot of pumps have the pump too far forward for short arms to reach it, and they are either very heavy or they KICK. Recoil is a big consideration for kids.

I shot (and killed) my first deer when I was 6 1/2 years old (thats young... and I was LITTLE). I remember sitting between my Daddy's knees, holding my 20ga SxS Ithaca bird gun stoked with 3" #2 buckshot and that big doe with hounds hot on her heels running out of the only opening in the cutover and locking eyes with me at about 15 steps. Without really aiming I snicked the safety and shot her right in the head, an unbelievable testiment to my marksmenship... or perhaps it was plain old dumb luck . I was as shook up as I've ever been, and I still remember how bad that gun kicked me. I was subsequently afraid of it, and didn't want to shoot it anymore. Wouldn't shoot anything but the Chipmunk (.22) until the next fall. Didn't want to have anything to do with a shotgun.

Dad cracked and bought me a remington LT-1100. That gun has recoil so slight that you could shoot it with one hand, even with a magnum shell. Dad limited me to ONE shell in the gun at a time until I could prove my worth for a season. I shot two more deer that year, and some small game. The next fall I was dove hunting, and then Dad cut me loose with three shells. Started with the 12 gauge when I was 11. Never had the slightest bit of a flinch or gun-shyness since. I still bird hunt with the Ithaca... and it still kicks.

Seriously... a gas auto 20 is the way to go.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the Encore is a real dandy for a young shooter. The youngster should be taught to keep the action open at all times. That makes it very easy for the adult to keep an eye on thing's. You can not be shot by an Encore that has it's action open.

You can get any type of stock you would like for a youngster. You can also get any type of barrel, and replacement barrels are not that much. It is a rig that a youngster can grow up with. Tom.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:54 AM

I would have to agree with the crowd that says single shot of some type or another. a 20 ga would do the trick nicely IF you are set on getting a shotgun, though I do also suggest starting with a .22 LR for more reasons that I am going to discuss here.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

I know the .410 isn't as popular these days for a kids first shot gun as it used to be, a 20 ga. single is a good choice. Teach him that he has one shot, make it count.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

id say a youth 20ga but I think that might be too much gun for him, in IL slug deer you have to have at least a 20ga. and I wouldnt recommend much less than that for deer. but the ole .410 sounds like the rabbit gun/ birds, not sure about turkey though.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:14 AM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

At 8 I would put him in a gas operated semi-auto. True they are a bit more expensive, but you get your moneys worth. Most single shots KICK. A lot of pumps have the pump too far forward for short arms to reach it, and they are either very heavy or they KICK. Recoil is a big consideration for kids.

I shot (and killed) my first deer when I was 6 1/2 years old (thats young... and I was LITTLE). I remember sitting between my Daddy's knees, holding my 20ga SxS Ithaca bird gun stoked with 3" #2 buckshot and that big doe with hounds hot on her heels running out of the only opening in the cutover and locking eyes with me at about 15 steps. Without really aiming I snicked the safety and shot her right in the head, an unbelievable testiment to my marksmenship... or perhaps it was plain old dumb luck . I was as shook up as I've ever been, and I still remember how bad that gun kicked me. I was subsequently afraid of it, and didn't want to shoot it anymore. Wouldn't shoot anything but the Chipmunk (.22) until the next fall. Didn't want to have anything to do with a shotgun.

Dad cracked and bought me a remington LT-1100. That gun has recoil so slight that you could shoot it with one hand, even with a magnum shell. Dad limited me to ONE shell in the gun at a time until I could prove my worth for a season. I shot two more deer that year, and some small game. The next fall I was dove hunting, and then Dad cut me loose with three shells. Started with the 12 gauge when I was 11. Never had the slightest bit of a flinch or gun-shyness since. I still bird hunt with the Ithaca... and it still kicks.

Seriously... a gas auto 20 is the way to go.

Can't say I have had the same experiences as SwampCollie, but I would have to agree with him. Gas operated semi-auto 20 for pretty much anything. Keep the shots on turkeys a little closer than you would with your 12. Pattern the gun to see what it does. As for deer, I would probably wait until he can handle a .243 I can't really advise you as to which one. I'm looking into a H&R single shot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.