Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Recent Gun Violence in IL >

Recent Gun Violence in IL

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recent Gun Violence in IL

Old 02-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Recent Gun Violence in IL

So for the past week or so all over the news here in IL has been on a gunman coming into a Lane Bryant Store and shooting/murdering 5 women with 1 survivor I believe. Here in IL we have some of the strictest gun laws if not the strictest in the nation and in Chicago one must register their guns. I was thinking how idiot these gun laws are, and I know in many states, particularly Arizona, one can fairly easily get a consealed weapons permit, I konw they take a class, I wonder how high gun violence is in this state? My point is that had 1 of these 5 women, or anyone else in the store had a concealed weapon, things would probably be very different, and a while back the virginia school shooting also could have been different. I even think about how many firearms owners in this state may own guns etc....but what good do they do locked up in a safe unloaded even if you're attacked in your own home, what are the odds you can get to a loaded weapon in time? vs. having a sidearm on you at all times? or more apt to be closer to your jacket etc...with your sidearm. Let's get concealed weapons permits approved in all states!
Old 02-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Recent Gun Violence in IL

Arizona has concealed carry but also has open carry. It is quite a deterrent. I wish more people here would open carry.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

You know I have heard little about open carry, which I think i read is legal in more states than concealed? ie holster on your hip? I think people are more comfy with concealed, out of site out of mind, though I'm for both, I'd take either one being legal in IL. or anywhere for that matter.

Why is it rocket science that criminals will always have / use guns illegally, and that responsible citizens won't be using them illegally / in a wreckless matter? I read somewhere that in the 1920's that women had pocket pistols and so did men, and people really weren't mugged because of this. Criminals knew people had pistols and would use them. Sounds pretty logical to me.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:32 PM

And plus we need weapons to protect ourselves from our own government, thats why the 2nd amendment exists in the first place. I plan on getting my concealed carry permit in the near future.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

I dont think open carry is worth a flip, if for god bid you are thrust into an insident, you would be one of the first targets. It is documented that a person with a knife,within 10 pace's, can cut a subject faster than they can react and draw their firearm and shoot, why help them make you a target!. As for states with conceiled carry laws, the proof is in the pudding!, crime rates lower than the national average with the states that dont allow CCW. To go one step farther, the town of Kennesaw Georgia requires at least the head of household to be armed, crime in that part of the state is nill!. Look at it this way, if your the crook, are you going to be that brazen if you know your next victem could accually fight back and kill you? I dont think so!. If the school's and colledge campuss'es would commit part of their staff to learn weapons training and carry a concealed weapons, the outcomes of the school related shootings would diminish, would'nt stop, but the body counts would never be as high as they have been in the past!. A national CCW has been talked about in the past, it is growing legs everyday, more and more states are getting it finaly, even letting other states CCW permits to be used as long as you follow that states guidelines, unfortunatly, the up-comeing elections can put a sudden hault to this prossess, you can blame the brady-bunch and liberal government for this. I also dont beleive that everyone that can legally buy a firearm be allowed to carry without extensive training, it takes alot more than knowing how to operate it to be able to use it responcibly. Everyone should be able to compleate a self defence course, " not the normal course you receive to get your CCW, but a true to life course, how to use it, when to use it, alternatives, and the laws that pertain to takeing anothers life! for just the basics, this is more than a day course. Countless hours also are needed in shooting for self defence, going to the range once in a while, shooting targets doesnt cut it!, you need to practice defensive shooting, working senerios from contact shooting, shooting while seeking cover and every other perdicument that you might have to face. To sum it all up!, CCW is good as long as the person that carries a firearm for self defence does it with respocability, I read an article a while back that stated that," people who carry CCW are in fact a comunities security force", I happen to agrea with this statement, you are out there to protect more than just yourself!.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:07 PM

I think Washington state has some of the most liberal gun laws, basically you have to have a good reason NOT to get a concealed permit. I don't hear about too many of these things happening there.

However it could though. Most of these cases are buy people that purchased weapons legally and are carried out in areas where concealed weapons are not allowed anyway, even if you had a permit. Here in MI you can get one, but where you can actually carry is pretty limited.

Paul

Old 02-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Spike

Sorry to hear the mess happening in your state and nobody but the politicians and police having the means to defend themselves.

Regarding open carry making you a target, chances are the criminal is going to go away and look for an easier target. Especially if more than one person is carrying in an open manner. Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of criminals like being alive, and therefore try to pick the weakest appearing targets they can find.

The biggest problem with open carry is all the morons who don't realize it is perfectly legal and are scared to death of even looking at a weapon. At least some places, even if open carry is legal, it doesn't seem to be uncommon for the idiots to call the police on open-carrying individuals even though the gun never leaves the holster and the carrier is not being hostile.

That is the sole reason I like concealed, particularly in states where you don't break the law if your firearm should happen to print or become visible (you reach for something on a shelf, etc). Of course concealed holsters aren't nearly as comfortable (to me anyway) as a good old fashioned outside the waistband holster, and the draw is between a little and significantly slower.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Regarding open carry making you a target, chances are the criminal is going to go away and look for an easier target. Especially if more than one person is carrying in an open manner. Contrary to popular belief, the vast majority of criminals like being alive, and therefore try to pick the weakest appearing targets they can find
Sandman, I am not contradicting you,you are correct to a point, but most hardened criminals, the ones that wouldnt care if they take anothers life, are not going to give you a warning and would make you the first target, how many times do you see and read about police being killed, they knew the cops had pistols on their side!. It comes down to suprise tatics really, unless you notice odd behavior on their point, and ready yourself for the threat, they will strike only after checking their surrondings to see if they will be able to get away with it!. Now ifthey see a pistol on you, and you are the only one tostand in their way, and they see an opertunity to get away with it, they will attack you first, and probably be able to overcome you and kill you with your own weapon!, it has happened many times in the past!, which is also the same reason for constant practice!. In your own mind you need to think about what you would do if someone cassualy walks up in front of you and assults you, how fast do you think you can react to that!, nine times out of ten, you wouldnt be able to react fast enough to walk away un-injured if not dead!, those are slim odds!. That is why concealled is a better method of carry compared to open!, if he dont see it he wont know its there!, and not see you as an immediate threat!.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

My understanding is you can't even own a handgun in Chicago. That's thanks to Liberals like Osama Obama...
Old 02-10-2008, 03:54 PM

wow even here in MA I can carry concealed even though I had to jump through hoops to get a class A licence. But if anyone sees my gun I can get arrested for brandishment. But I feel much better with one on my side.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.