Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Marlin 45/70 ? >

Marlin 45/70 ?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 45/70 ?

Old 02-09-2008, 02:56 PM

Default Marlin 45/70 ?

Looking at purchasing one of these rifles, any one have any experience with them? Would also like an idea of the recoil manageable or not?
Old 02-09-2008, 05:58 PM
FA
Fork Horn

Default RE: Marlin 45/70 ?

I own an 1895G in 45-70, which is my favorite rifle. Recoil is not bad at all and the Guide model is accurate out to 175 to 200 yards. I have taken deer with this gun but prefere to hunt blacks and grizzly with it. One nice thing about the 45-70, is if you reload, the variations are vast. There is a pretty good selection of factory ammo out there also.
.Goodluck
Old 02-09-2008, 07:07 PM

Most people I know who have one say the recoil is massive with hot loads. Trajectory on them isn't anything to write home about for sure. But that's about all the negative stuff. Close up they are plenty effective and as FA suggests, they are a good proposition for the reloader. You can put together something you like and probably use a good lead bullet doing it.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:32 PM
FA
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Pavomesa

Most people I know who have one say the recoil is massive with hot loads. Trajectory on them isn't anything to write home about for sure. But that's about all the negative stuff. Close up they are plenty effective and as FA suggests, they are a good proposition for the reloader. You can put together something you like and probably use a good lead bullet doing it.
Your right about heavy load recoil. For Grizz, I use Garretts 540gr+P. Most people will use 405 or less which the recoil ain't bad. As far as accuracy goes, for a 45-70 sighted for 150 yds, it's not bad, about 2'groups from a rest. Took a grizzly last year at 175 yards, one shot, ran 30 yds before it expired. The rifle is set-up with a 2.5 scout scope with QR rings with XSGhost ring for irons. Never know when that scope will have to come off for a real close shot.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well like FA said, I'm one of the guys that use the 'smaller' 300 gr bullets. But I can't complain about this little rifle with the big bore. My 1895G is plenty accurate and is a joy to carry. I've yet to take this rifle out for deer but I've taken 3 black bear with it so far. I handload pretty stout loads for this rifle with the 300 gr bullets and the recoil is probably on par with the 30-06.
I was using a Williams peep sight for a couple of years with this rifle but now have a compact 4X scope mounted on it. Its a nice little set up.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Prarie_Boy1

Looking at purchasing one of these rifles, any one have any experience with them? Would also like an idea of the recoil manageable or not?
Marlins are STILL made from walnut & steel. This places them a cut above many other makes. Their .45/70's are excellent guns.

Recoil of the .45/70 ranges from pretty mild (from the standard factory load with 405-grain bullet at 1330 FPS) to downright brutal (a 400-+ grain bullet at 1800-2000 FPS from the custom ammo makers). The question is not "is the recoil manageable?" but "can I handle the recoil of the .45/70 load I intend to use?" How much recoil can you tolerate?

The slow, 405-grain load delivers essentially the same performance as the old U.S. Cavalry carbine black powder load. This load is adequate for game up to elk and moose if you can get to within 100 yards or so of your game. But if you want longer range and/or intend to shoot big bears, you should consider using one of the more powerful loads that are made by outfits such as Garrett, and then recoil becomes a factor for many people.

In addition, IF you are a handloader, the .45/70 is VERY VERSATILE cartridge. You can load it with bullets ranging from a lead round ball at 800 FPS for plinking beer cans up to a 500-grain solid at 1800 FPS that will go all the way through at least one Cape Buffalo.

My .45/70 is currently a Ruger single shot, whichpermits the use of somewhatheavier loads than you can shoot in the Marlin. But if I ever get another .45/70, it WILL BE a Marlin!
Old 02-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Recoil of the .45/70 ranges from pretty mild (from the standard factory load with 405-grain bullet at 1330 FPS) to downright brutal (a 400-+ grain bullet at 1800-2000 FPS from the custom ammo makers). The question is not "is the recoil manageable?" but "can I handle the recoil of the .45/70 load I intend to use?" How much recoil can you tolerate?
That is very true. I have a Marlin .450 which is basically a hot loaded .45/70 and the recoil is definitely stout. Depending on the person some people can shoot it with no problem and other people refuse to shoot it after the first time.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:20 PM

If I had to carry *one* rifle till the day I die it would bemy Marlin 1895G. Mine has a DRC Customs lever, Williams FP receiver sight, WW trigger, and will be getting a mag extension from brockmans, tritium front sight, teflon coated, and laminate stock set in the near future. It will shoot moa with no trouble, recoil is managable in mine with limbsaver precision fit pad. It's light, fast handling, and 45-70 loaded right will stop any beast that walks on this earth.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

i used one the first year i hunted at 14 and i loved it. i changed to a .308 last year jus because me personally, i couldnt get a good enough group the past couple years that i was satisfied with. dont get me wrong though, its a great shootin gun and i was gettin decent groups but i was happy with em. my dad on the other hand can shoot it 3 times and have every hole touching. great gun though, i shot 2 deer with it, one at about 10 yards and one at about 50-55 yards.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a comparative table you can check out from ChuckHawks.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

Quick Reply: Marlin 45/70 ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.