Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sims "De-resonator" >

Sims "De-resonator"

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sims "De-resonator"

Old 02-10-2008, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sims "De-resonator"

Ya , I dont believe anyone said that they didnt work; they just wouldnt put one on they're rifle.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

On some guns it works very well. On some it doesn't make much difference. IMO it depends on how the rifle fits into the stock. It tends to satalize vibrations shot to shot. How it looks has no effect on accuracy. Point is, don't discount something without putting it to the test. For me its performance over cosmetics every time.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ifsomeone thinks theyneed a something like this to "reduce resonance" in the rifle barrel for tighter groups, it tells me they have a rifle with too narrow or incorrect tempered barrel.
You don't need such a thing with a rifle like Tikka T3 with a stiff hammer forged barrel. It's not the thin barrel types some manufacturers went to to try to reduce overall weight.
TikkaT3s consistently shoot sub MOA groups for this and other design reasons.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put one on my Browning A-bolt .243 Rifle and it seemed to help with tighter groups when I lined it up at the Range...I also used a Caldwell Leadsled when I shot the gun.It doesn't really get in the way while it is on the gun and it helped protect the barrel when I needed to set the gun down it kept the barrel from bumping on the metal rest and against the tree limb.It can see where it would be easy to install on the rifles with no front gun sight but not so sure if it would make it over say a 30-06 with the front sight?It was pretty darn tight sliding down the barrel especially where it was a little bigger/thicker.

Does it reallywork..?I would say it helps in lining a gun up on the range,like most said when your out hunting and you only take 1 shot it might not make a big difference,so why take it off if itisn't in the way or you will probably be re-sighting your gun again the next year or be using your gun through out the year Predator Hunting?It may also be a mental thing where you believe it will help you become a better more accurate Shooter,but then again I'd pi$$ on a spark plug if it helped make me be a better Hunter! [&:]
Old 02-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

I've got an old ruger m77 in 7mm rem mag, I just got back into reloading last year. I didn't have enough time before deer season to do any serious load developing for it. It wasn't the only caliber I was loading for.I loaded some 140 grain accubonds and the best I could get them to group at 100 yards was maybe 3 inches. Like I said, I didn't haveenough time to change different componentsso I bought the deresonator, put it on, and the groups shrank to 1 1/2 inches. Nothing to brag about, but good enough for me to hunt with this past season.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Banned

It's one of those things that if you see it on someones rifle, hunt somewhere else....
Old 02-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

From my knowledge, you dont rest your hand on your barrel, why would you want this object on it, a gimmic to me, buy a quality rifle that shoots well and there's no reason to need one.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:18 AM

As we all know, all barrels vibrate and heat upwhen we push a bullet down them at speeds close to or exceding 3000fps no matter how the barrel is made or whoever made it, bar none. Yes to the question do they work, at least on the rifles I have tried them on. Sims reccomends they be placed either near the end of the barrel(app 1")or app. 1" from the forearm, all my rifles have them at the forearm. My 7mm08 was the exception, itshot much better with it at the end of the barrel.

What I saw was the first shot it made no difference at all, which makes sense since they were "cold barrels", but as the barrels warmed up the groups did not "wander" at all, even on extremely warm days(you may have to try it at the end of the barrel or at the forearm for best results). Example my 308 NEF Survivor bull barrel, with 168g Federal Matchbthp always shot under 2" at 200yds, but as the barrel started to warm up on very warm days the groups started to widen, my last 5shot group(with outside temps in the mid 80's)wasslightly over 1"(at 200yds)with no cooling between shots, impressive to say the least.

All of us want our first shot to be the only one we need in a hunting situation, but it is nice to know if we "need" that second shot it will go to the same hole if we do our part and hold it there, and the Sims will help with that, and it is not an expensive tool. And shrinking our groups in halfis a good thing for bragging rights alone, and increases our confidence when we have to make the shot count, and no I don't work for Sims......lol
Old 02-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: vabyrd

It's one of those things that if you see it on someones rifle, hunt somewhere else....
Yeah, because someone who wants to go from 1.25 moa to 1 moa must be a complete idiot.

I don't think anyone is claiming that this willturn a3 moa gun/shooter combo into a nail driver. The idea is to take whatever you're getting, and improve it. Its based on physics, if you know what that is.

By the way, to the original question, it took my 700.270 win with factory scirocco 130 gr from 1.25 moa to 1 moa.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned

No, someone who thinks a gain of less than a bullet diameter is something to brag about, might be an idiot.And that idiot might decide because of his wonderful gain he can take a shot at 1000yds, because of a group he shot at 100. All for thelow low price of 19.99. Where can I get one??

Quick Reply: Sims "De-resonator"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.