Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Building a 1911 from parts? >

Building a 1911 from parts?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Building a 1911 from parts?

Old 02-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Building a 1911 from parts?

Perhaps the Taurus is not as good as a custom job, but of course, it has no right to be! Itsounds like a nice PROCUCTION-LINE example, however! Many people bad-mouth Taurus products, and there may have been a time when the Taurus was not so good. I don't know, as I've only owned one Taurus, a Raging Bull .454. My hunting buddy has one too, and shooting his is what made me buy mine. Both of these are excellent revolvers-every bit as well-finished andaccurate as any S&W or Colt I've ever owned.In additon, that shock-absorbing grip and the muzzle porting tames the recoil to feel no worse a level than any .44 Mag. I've fired.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Typical Buck

I wasn't knocking Taurus, I had a little stainless .38 a few years ago and it did what it was suppose to do. But it also did not have as good a trigger or finish of my 20 year old Smith model 60. I think they make very good product for the money.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: vabyrd

how the hell is that?? Illegal? arent there a bunch of IPSC guys out there? Holy crap. If its legal to build one, but not buy one then I'd do it. Find a good gunsmith to get it to function right, screw the cost. thats the difference in having it and not having it I guess.
In California they have to pass a "drop-test" and the state was giving them so much hassle over it, STI just said screw you guys then. Last I checked the Kimber 1911 9mm's were also illegal. The thing is though, most cops would just see it as a regular pistol, so I'm not worried about getting caught with it, just getting it into the state.

I was looking at the Taurus and they seem like great guns, but they only come in .45. I want one in 9mm.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

how the hell is that?? Illegal? arent there a bunch of IPSC guys out there? Holy crap. If its legal to build one, but not buy one then I'd do it. Find a good gunsmith to get it to function right, screw the cost. thats the difference in having it and not having it I guess.
In California they have to pass a "drop-test" and the state was giving them so much hassle over it, STI just said screw you guys then. Last I checked the Kimber 1911 9mm's were also illegal. The thing is though, most cops would just see it as a regular pistol, so I'm not worried about getting caught with it, just getting it into the state.

I was looking at the Taurus and they seem like great guns, but they only come in .45. I want one in 9mm.
Back in the 1930's, that great authority of the Springfield rifle, captain Jim Crossman, once said "It is the right of every freeborn American to purchase a rifle chambered for a cartridge other than the .30/'06. Butto do so is no great tribute to his intelligence." The same reasoning applies to buying a 9mm rather than a .45 ACP!! That is, of course, if you are seeking something for self-defense rather than for plinking beercans with cheap ammunition...... at this, the 9mm shines! (As the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan are unfortunately learning....)
Old 02-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back in the 1930's, that great authority of the Springfield rifle, captain Jim Crossman, once said "It is the right of every freeborn American to purchase a rifle chambered for a cartridge other than the .30/'06. Butto do so is no great tribute to his intelligence." The same reasoning applies to buying a 9mm rather than a .45 ACP!! That is, of course, if you are seeking something for self-defense rather than for plinking beercans with cheap ammunition...... at this, the 9mm shines! (As the troops in Iraq and Afghanistan are unfortunately learning....)
I agree if I have to shoot someone I would much rather have a .45 in my hand than a 9MM anyday. I seen a guy get shot 3 times in the gut with a .38 and get up and run off. The guy that shot him sold the .38 the next day and bought a .41 magnum and said the next guy he shoots is going to stay down. The guy he shot got dumped in a hospital parking lot the next day and died 2 weeks later. He was stealing cars when the security guy caught him and the guy shot at him and he returned fire. If I got on for self defense it would be a .45 though right now all I have is a 3 .22 target pistols though I can put several rounds between a persons eye with it before most people can get a single shot off with a larger gun.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

I totally agree that for self-defense the .45 is WAY better.

It would be used mainly just for plinking, and since I already have a Glock 17 it would be nice to have the same ammo for both.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:23 AM

Jeep, Taurus builds several 9mm auto pistols. Pick your flavor.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pavomesa

Jeep, Taurus builds several 9mm auto pistols. Pick your flavor.
But not the 1911's...
Old 02-06-2008, 04:38 PM

Yes, they build the 1911 as well. They call that the PT-1911 and it's the best pistolvakue on the market in 45 auto.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pavomesa

Yes, they build the 1911 as well. They call that the PT-1911 and it's the best pistolvakue on the market in 45 auto.
Yeah, I know, but they don't make it in 9mm...

Quick Reply: Building a 1911 from parts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.