Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Need Some Info Please! >

Need Some Info Please!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need Some Info Please!

Old 02-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Need Some Info Please!

I was just wondering if anyone knew how to take the shiney finish off a barrel or if it can even be done. Thanks Andrew14
Old 02-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need Some Info Please!

Is is shiney nickel, bluing or stainless? The first 2 can be removed but the metal will not be protected, if it is stainless you can try find somebody to bead blast if for you. The nickel and bluing can be removed but I would leave it to a professional plating company.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:02 AM

If it's nickel I would not remove it. Must guns that are nickel plated don't have very good metal under them from what I understand. The plating covers any imperfections on the surface of the metal. Bluing requires a better metal finish because it is more of a stain than a coating.

I could be completely wrong on that, but that is how it was explained to me. And I tried to re finish a plated pistol before and the metal underneath was indeed not very great after getting the plating off.

Paul
Old 02-03-2008, 08:12 AM

Im not sure what you exactly want done. I belive you just want to dull the finish though. You could reblue it, Get is Parkerized, paint it,or get a dura coat type finish on it.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Retaks just beat me to it....I was going to suggest that you thoroughly degrease the shiny stuff, primer it with automotive primer, and apply a dull paint of your choice. You may be able to get away with the primer only if you get the flat black finish. You can remove the paint at some later time if you wish......
Old 02-03-2008, 11:35 AM

I like the Dura Coat finish. Winchester dose it on some of there shotguns. Its like a rubber coating so you dont have to worry about scratching your firearm as much. I forget what it costs to get done but i was thinking about getting my Mossberg done.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Fork Horn

I like the Dura Coat finish. Winchester dose it on some of there shotguns. Its like a rubber coating so you dont have to worry about scratching your firearm as much. I forget what it costs to get done but i was thinking about getting my Mossberg done.
I checked the dura coat out and really thinking about trying it. Now can anyone tell me how to dull the finish on the stock and forend.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Andrew14

I checked the dura coat out and really thinking about trying it. Now can anyone tell me how to dull the finish on the stock and forend.
I'm assuming it a wooden stock, so pumice stone powder or Birchwood Casey's Stock Sheen could be used to dull the shine. Just follow the directions on the bottle.