Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Most Gun / Kick you care to handle? >

Most Gun / Kick you care to handle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Most Gun / Kick you care to handle?

Old 02-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Most Gun / Kick you care to handle?

My 7mm. mag is just about right for me, I have shot the 300 and the 338 RUM's, more kick butwasn't as bad as a 3 1/2" turkey load in a Mossy.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:03 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

I've heard lots of folks complain about recoil and synthetic stock Rugers in the same breath, even with the modest 7mmRemMag.

Add to that what I feel are some of the poorest triggers in the business and that can make for a rifle that is hard to like.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I read about how the avg guy pain threshold seems to be somewhere around a .30-06, anything larger and the chicken fairy seems to creep in. Personally a .30-06 / .270 feels like a slight tap on the shooulder. Biggest I've shot so far was a .300 win mag, and a .340 wby, no scope, I'd have to say the .300 kicks harder! I hear the .338 RUM is a kicker, really my .340 wby isn't much of a hassle to shoot, it kicks, but no worries.

So at what caliber does shooting become a pain/hassle to you? Then at what point do you now even want to shoot the caliber? I hear that .378 wby is a nightmare! worst kick by far.....anyone ever shoot it? Personally though I have no experience with the big boys....375 H&H, I can't see kciking much harder than a .300 win mag or .340, but maybe? and for some reason I really don't sense that .458 Lott I want will do much punishment either. What's your experience?

I'm sure the 300 or the 30/06 doesn't hurt you. There are not too many rifles that are readily available to the average consumer (money constraint wise) that will acctually HURT you.

But my question is, and I probably know the answer already, is can you shoot that 300 WELL? If I were to load the gun for you, and occasionally hand it to you dry.. would I catch you smacking the trigger and flinching....bet I would!

That is the definition of being able to "handle" recoil. When I was a catcher in college our coach used to make us stop pitches in the dirt with no glove on, requiring us to lock our hands behind our backs. We had a couple of guys throwing in the high 80s and one in the 90s. After 10 or 15 of those... real pain sets in. You get used to it, and in a game you don't hesistate to drop down to your knees and block the ball... great training.

I'll stand up to anything... but I can acctually handle a .375. I know this, because I do it on a regular basis. I've shot everything from .460s without muzzlebrakes (which is something that CAN hurt you), to 470 Nitros, which in the right rifle which will be heavy, is just a fairly big push and a very loud report. I think personally that some of the American built, light weight .458s and of course the .460 Weatherby are the worst of the rifles. There are certain 300's in light guns, with high Monte Carlo stocks that pound worse than most 375s will. All depends on the build of the gun.

Honestly, the most kickin' guns I've shot day in and day out are super light turkey guns with 3.5" shells... ehhhh.

I personally do not care for more recoil than I need to do what I need to do. For whitetails and medium game.. that would be a 7mm-08.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:30 PM

shot my granddads double barreled 12 gauge when i was 12 and let both barrels fly at the same time. never did that again. as far as rifles go i just shot a 460 wby today.............bazooka.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Weatherby Vanguard synthetic that I put a Kick-Eez pad on. It shoots 300 Wby Mags off the bench pretty well. I had a 45-70 level gun with a solid butt plate. Still not that bad. A 338 Win was easy. A light, single-shot Stevens 12ga with a platic butt plate might be the worst. With slugs, it's bad. I've never shot anything over .340 with a rifle, though.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:55 AM
Typical Buck

The largest centerfire rifle I've shot (I own) is the .300 WSM. While it definately kicks more than my .30-06, its not bad. Shooting my first box of ammo, I flinched quite a bit. After some practice, I've mastered the tigger pull. I'm shooting a milk jugat .300 yards with no problem

As stated previously, my Mossberg 835 with 3.5 inch OO Buckshot or Turkey loads is very painful. No matter how I held it, it would jump up and hit my cheek bone. I've tamed it with a limb saver recoil pad. No worries now.

I wonder what the kick of a 835 3.5 inch shell compares to in rifle caliber?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

444 Marlin in my Handi is the harderst kicker I got.. Next to the 12 Ga 3.5 O/U Browning..
Old 02-04-2008, 11:50 AM

most recoil I have felt is a Mossberg 500 12 guage with 3.5" turkey Heavy shot with a brick recoil pad.
Old 02-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

The worst rifle for recoil I ever shot was my wood stocked Ruger Mark II 30-06. That thing was just brutal in the recoil department. The stock didn't fit me right, and I dreaded shooting targets with that gun. I didn't ever miss a critter with that rifle, but finally sold it.

My Browning A-Bolt Stalker in 7mm Rem Mag is a ***** cat. It has muzzle flip and thats about it.

I've shot a 300 RUM, 300H&H, 338 Winchester, 45/70, 50BMG, 50cal Muzzleloader, 375H&H, and none of them really bothered me. THe worse one I shot was probably the 300 RUM, its more a real quick jolt when you squeeze the trigger, the rest are more of a hard push. The RUM I shot prone, and after a few rounds of that I could see taking a break.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:15 PM

The Hardest Kicking Gun I ever shot that was just plain down painful was a 375 H&H magnum in a T/C Encore. I death gripped that thing and that scope still tapped me in the nose while shooting it from a bench. I won't shot it again till I have a muzzlebrake installed on it!! haha
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Most Gun / Kick you care to handle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.